Why won't final fantasy 9 work on my PS2?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Miss_mayifan

Why won't final fantasy 9 work on my PS2?

Post by Miss_mayifan »

I just bought final fantasy 9 for ps1 so I can play it on my Fat PS2 and the model is SCHP-39001 and the discs are in perfect condition and as I put in disc one it goes to where it says browser/system config and I click browser and it takes a couple seconds and says disc read error and I don't know what's going on. Anyway on how to fix this? Thanks
marurun

Re: Why won't final fantasy 9 work on my PS2?

Post by marurun »

Is your Fat PS2 playing any other PS1 or PS2 games? Try doing some tests with other titles and make sure the drive is OK.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

My guess would be that your PS2 is starting to have (or has had) problems reading CDs. If you have any PS2 discs that are blue on the bottom (pretty much limited to earlier titles), those are CDs rather than DVDs as well, so you may want to test with them.
If the laser has fallen out of calibration, then the system may have trouble reading one disc type but still be fine reading the other. It's not necessarily an age thing either, as I worked in a Software Etc. around when the PS2 launched and we had people see this problem within months of the system coming out.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Never said you verified the discs other than they look good.

Get a PC emulator (epsxe) that's free and see if it will boot on your PC. Might as well verify the PS2 is the problem.