Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
marurun

Re: PlayStation Classic

by marurun Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:13 am

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I just can't see plunking down $100 on something we know almost nothing about. Their announcement was haphazard and didn't drum up a ton of excitement. I don't know... maybe I'm a crotchety old man.

You ARE a crotchety old man, and we love you for it. You're not wrong. On the other hand, however, I don't think the idea of the device is a bad thing. The Playstation certainly had at least 20 iconic and fun titles that people would be willing to pay a relative pittance for, and the ones they announced aren't bad picks for that. I wonder if they are hoping to us interest drummed up by the announcement to aid negotiations with certain publishers who might be holdouts. Either that, or they want to trickle out titles in the lead-up to the release, to keep interest high. Now that we know 5 titles, there's certainly a lot of speculation about what the other 15 might be.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:31 am

Even at just a cost-perspective, this is something that could be nice. Yeah PSN is a thing, but finding PS1 games for 5 bucks a piece on there (especially Squenix games that tend to be like 15 or 20 for no reason :P ) just isn't a thing. This is something I wouldn't mind picking up to have a nice little plug-n-play PSX machine that I don't need to worry about the disk drive dying on or the games getting scratched or disc-rotted for :)
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:42 am

I wonder if I'm alone noticing that them taking down the PS1 body by 45% basically makes this disc-less wonder more or less around the size of the redone PSOne console.

I really do wish to know what the other 15 are and it seems bad they're not talking. There's just no way with the time remaining they aren't firmed up and pumping out the systems already so they know. Nintendo was never shy or Sega through ATGames with the entire game list so it seems self destructive.

I'd like to think I'd support this, but I also wonder with my lower time I can allot and having what I do, if there would be a big use for it or not. Maybe it's being over thought, but on the general market I can see the point in it greatly. You get a little PS1 that has 20 games, no optical fails or load times, no lame memory cards, HDMI, and 2 controllers too with it being relatively budget friendly cheap.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:39 pm

Tanooki wrote:I really do wish to know what the other 15 are and it seems bad they're not talking. There's just no way with the time remaining they aren't firmed up and pumping out the systems already so they know. Nintendo was never shy or Sega through ATGames with the entire game list so it seems self destructive.

I also think that's a little weird. I bet there's some pretty major omissions...

Part of me feels like there's less appeal with such an item compared with Nintendo's mini consoles. I don't know, maybe it's me, but as the Playstation brand has remained so consistent (whereas Nintendo more or less rebrands between each console), it feels like it would be better to just throw up the PS1 library up on PSN or allow backwards compatibility...
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo ID: Mark-Beth
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:58 pm

Licensing is probably the biggest hurdle for the playstation classic. How many Sony games would make the list? Nintendo has that benefit of owning the vast majority of properties found on their classic systems. It isn't entirely a matter of what people want to see on the system, but more about what Sony can get on their system.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
marurun

by marurun Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:39 pm

I'm certain licensing is a hurdle, but I'm not sure how big a hurdle it is. It's not like companies want to make nice with Nintendo but don't care about Sony, though I suppose Sony's Playstation Classic does likely have shorter market legs on it than Nintendo's Classic Minis. I'm sure if Sony really wants a company to work with them they're not going to have to fight too hard about it. It may come down more to whether or not individual titles have more value to the partner company as a separate product rather than part of a big bundle like this.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:20 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Licensing is probably the biggest hurdle for the playstation classic. How many Sony games would make the list? Nintendo has that benefit of owning the vast majority of properties found on their classic systems. It isn't entirely a matter of what people want to see on the system, but more about what Sony can get on their system.

Sony published a fair number of the best sellers on the system, even if only in certain regions (they were even the publisher for FFVII outside of Japan). I suspect most anything that's on PSOne Classics would end up being fair game for this. Even purely Sony titles would do okay - Crash, Spyro, Twisted Metal, Jet Moto, and so on, or more one-off things like Legend of Dragoon.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:29 pm

bmoc wrote:
Forlorn Drifter wrote:I feel like this will miss the type of games I would want to get for PS1. For example, I have a feeling they won't get Symphony, which would be an obvious pick.

I've seen a few people say this but I don't understand why. Symphony of the Night is on the PSN and Konami allowed several Castlevania games on the Nintendo Classic consoles. Why would Sony or Konami be opposed to Symphony of the Night on the PlayStation Classic?

I very well might be wrong, but a trademark (copyright? I'm not sure which) was just registered for some combo of SotN and Rondo of Blood on PS4, which makes me think Konami would have one of their weird moments and keep it there rather than the classic. Saw it on Gematsu.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:42 pm

Forlorn Drifter wrote:I very well might be wrong, but a trademark (copyright? I'm not sure which) was just registered for some combo of SotN and Rondo of Blood on PS4, which makes me think Konami would have one of their weird moments and keep it there rather than the classic. Saw it on Gematsu.

Awwww, all I'd seen about it was a "PS4 Castlevania Collection". Literally porting the PSP game from a decade ago certainly isn't what I was hoping for with a news break like that :cry:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:39 am

This is the link:

https://gematsu.com/2018/09/castlevania-requiem-symphony-of-the-night-rondo-of-blood-rated-for-ps4-in-korea

It was rated, not the other stuff. I don't think it's the PSP version, but it could be. After all the Castlevania collection rumors I was hoping for more, but that's not to say that other games couldn't be unlocked or the like.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Return to Sony and Microsoft