PlayStation Classic

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
marurun

Re: PlayStation Classic

Post by marurun »

I was gonna say, are there any really good PS1 ARM emulators that might be able to run on this thing?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

marurun wrote:I was gonna say, are there any really good PS1 ARM emulators that might be able to run on this thing?

I assume mednafen runs on everything these days, but I admit I haven’t kept up with it.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

marurun wrote:I was gonna say, are there any really good PS1 ARM emulators that might be able to run on this thing?

The really sad thing is that Sony had an ARM based emulator that they could have built off of. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xperia_Play
marurun

Post by marurun »

bmoc wrote:

The really sad thing is that Sony had an ARM based emulator that they could have built off of. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xperia_Play

I wonder if it's the case that Sony knew their device would be very hackable and didn't want people digging into proprietary tech. Safer to license something else so that when people get to digging you don't give away any trade secrets.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I really don't think they put much though into it all. The game selection, the PAL games, the emulation quailty - it looks like a rush job and a holiday cash grab. Some Sony exec probably saw the success Nintendo was having with their classic consoles and wanted a piece of that. I wouldn't be surprised if they farmed out development to a third party and didn't give them enough time.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

bmoc wrote:I really don't think they put much though into it all. The game selection, the PAL games, the emulation quailty - it looks like a rush job and a holiday cash grab. Some Sony exec probably saw the success Nintendo was having with their classic consoles and wanted a piece of that. I wouldn't be surprised if they farmed out development to a third party and didn't give them enough time.

That's exactly what me and a lot of other people are thinking, because that's the only thing reasonable, given how this thing turned out.

What I'm really worried about, is that this thing sold pretty well anyway, proving Sony right for just cashing in on it. Since it seems these things are sold based on nostalgia anyway and nobody plays much on the vanilla minis, of those who do, they hack them to hell and back which means they may as well have used a Retro Pi instead, so what they basically paid for, is a fancy shell.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but if Sony made bank with this shoddy product, it only paves the way for more companies doing the same in the future, heck even Nintendo may not put the effort in next time, why bother if people are gonna buy it anyway?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Did it really sell well? I've been out at stores lately due to the time of the year and anywhere that would retail them has multiple units sitting on the shelf usually with just one or two missing looking at the space allotted. They're not flying like how mad the SNES did a year ago and especially the cracked out nightmare of the NES launch too. I know they're probably selling ok, enough people don't realize what they're walking into and I'm sure some will be waiting to scoop in and try and do a bit on returns and gripes the days after Christmas.

It clearly was a cash grab for all the reasons you gave. It's not rocket surgery here really if you think about it. What did we start out with technically, ATGames (though Jakks weird RCA mini stick/paddle Atari stuff was present) and them peddling not another Atari flashback, but over a decade ago now their horrid chinese sourced Firecore Emulator based Sega Genesis and the excellent Arcade Gamer Portable SMS/GG closed handheld. Despite sounding bad and no games that saved, it did very well, yearly, to where they did handhelds advertising ROM loading on SD cards then doing a SD CART made for their Genesis. Then they did the Coleco and Intellivision and so on. Nintendo then gets the bright idea to drop the NES CE 3 years ago and while they asked more, look what happened. ATGames had an oh-shit moment and decided to stop repackaging total garbage and started sourcing an emulator and doing HD, even to the Atari (finally using Stella this year.) SNK wants that mad money, so they a year ago kick off news of the Neo Geo that TV plays too and it comes out in Japan early this year then the rest recently. Sony sees $ and realized Nintendo forced quality HDMI, then cash grabs an emulator. But looking how the emulator works, it was rushed, buried (keyboard to emulation menu), and other things not so forgotten (source for other games, etc.) Maybe if Sony can profit well off it they'll do another with dual analog in a year and not go garbage considering their hardware should handle it right if given proper time and resources.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I think it's kind of hard to tell how well it's selling. They seemed to have shipped a lot of these compared to how many minis Nintendo shipped. Im wondering if we could get a PS2 mini- I doubt it, but that would be right up my alley if they could.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Gamers Nexus tested the classic against the PS3's BC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LWs2TXlTRw
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

I have no idea about the sales numbers, and I'm not sure if we'll ever find out.

What I do know, is when this thing was originally up for pre-order, zero games were announced for it (the first red flag) and yet a lot of people went ahead and pre-ordered it there and then as it was prime nostalgia bait, and I'm pretty sure a lot of them forgot to cancel or simply didn't pay attention about how much Sony made a mess of it after their initial excitement.

Hell, I was tempted to pre-order it and it was always going to be shelf decoration for me, but then I realized $100 is too much for a fancy box that I was never going to play on, sitting on a shelf, same reason why I didn't get the other mini's to be honest.

I'm mostly upset in principle here, since the PS1 is pretty much my favorite console, and Sony took a dump on its legacy with this showing.