PlayStation Classic

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
bmoc
Next-Gen

PlayStation Classic

Post by bmoc »

Sony is releasing a PlayStation Classic console similar to the NES and SNES Classic.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explo ... n-classic/

It will retail for $99.99 and features 20 games including Final Fantasy VII, Tekken 3, R4: Ridge Racer Type 4, Jumping Flash, and Wild Arms. The full list of games has yet to be revealed.

A few places are already taking preorders:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-plays ... Id=6301601
https://www.gamestop.com/consoles/plays ... sic/168643

PS1 is probably my favorite console of all time. I have way more PS1 games than anything else. This is really tempting even though I likely have most of the games. I wonder if it will have some of the pricier RPGs like Tales of Destiny, the Personas, and Suikoden II.

Anyone want to take bets on how long it will take to hack this thing? :lol:

EDIT: Full North American list of games

Battle Arena Toshinden
Cool Boarders 2
Destruction Derby
Final Fantasy VII
Grand Theft Auto
Intelligent Qube
Jumping Flash
Metal Gear Solid
Mr Driller
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
Rayman
Resident Evil Director’s Cut
Revelations: Persona
Ridge Racer Type 4
Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
Syphon Filter
Tekken 3
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
Twisted Metal
Wild Arms
Last edited by bmoc on Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Re: PlayStation Classic

Post by casterofdreams »

In exactly one day.

I was chatting about this on Slack: the PS1 mini doesn’t have a huge impact to me personally because we had a PS1 mini in many forms for years.

The PSP was a portable PS1 which was superseded by the VITA. The the VITA variant, PS VITA TV was a console you can hook up and can play VITA, PSP, and PS1 games right on the TV. Don’t forget the PS3 as well.

I wish that they would release the rad screen attachment that came out at the end of the PS1’s life. That was super cool at the time.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

No dualshocks, and I bet it is hacked within 24 hours and users are able to easily upload new isos within a month.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

fastbilly1 wrote:No dualshocks, and I bet it is hacked within 24 hours and users are able to easily upload new isos within a month.

Looks like the controller ports are USB. If wired PS3/PS4 controllers don't work out of the box, I bet they can be hacked in.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I'm tempted, but at the same time now I'm in a position where I'll need to daisy chain an HDMI switcher box. I've got 9 slots, 8 are filled, and I'm getting my N64 upgraded so it's loaded already.

I'd like to know more first of the whole library and what all is going on with it including the mystery door in back. I currently use a PSOne+LCD combo and it has no screen lag issues, softens up those harsh PS jaggies nicely, and it's easily carried about, plus it is like like this mini about the same size smaller than the original model. There would have to be some kind of valued trade off to make me buy this as it came out, later, or not at all.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Its hacking potential probably isn't as great as the NES and SNES Mini. Disc isos are far larger than cartridge roms, ranging between about 300mb and 700mb in size. Then there's multi disc games like FFVII. I bet any money this thing is shipped with 16gb (or 32gb max) of on board flash storage, significantly limiting the number of games you can fit on the device if it is hacked.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I'm not too concerned about storage. Hackers will work out external USB storage sooner or later no doubt.

You know what's got me scratching my chin? The controller connection. The photos on Sony's website show standard USB connectors when unplugged, and fat PS1-style connectors when plugged in. I wonder how that works. Maybe it's just in the mock-up, or maybe there's a purely cosmetic dongle that makes the USB connectors look like PS1 connectors. This is the kind of question that keeps me awake at night.

Anyway, I'm sure we can rule out Ape Escape as a bundled game! :lol:
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

samsonlonghair wrote:You know what's got me scratching my chin? The controller connection. The photos on Sony's website show standard USB connectors when unplugged, and fat PS1-style connectors when plugged in. I wonder how that works. Maybe it's just in the mock-up, or maybe there's a purely cosmetic dongle that makes the USB connectors look like PS1 connectors. This is the kind of question that keeps me awake at night.

Looks to me like it's just cosmetic. A wider piece of plastic with a USB plug coming out - the illustration on the manual shows that, so I assume that'd be accurate.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

This is a wait and see for me. I love the original PlayStation, but it lacking Dual Shocks is somewhat a bummer. The initial game list does look good though.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I agree on the wait and see, it's what I'll do.

My PSOne+LCD suits me, it has no lag issues a normal TV does, and is softens stuff up nice but not too much masking the jaggies which pure clean HDMI would horribly expose. The fact games I care for likely won't even be on it anyway due to licensing is a huge let down.

The thing that has me is that rear port under the snap. It makes you wonder if they'll try and make it a one up game on Nintendo, open to added stuff.