PlayStation Classic

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: PlayStation Classic

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Melek-Ric wrote:Been hearing that the Classic uses PAL ROMs for some of the games on the US version. They run at 50 Hz. Can anyone confirm?

That is correct. I know tekken and jumping flash use the PAL version.

EDIT: Here is the list

Battle Arena Toshinden*
Cool Boarders 2*
Destruction Derby*
Grand Theft Auto*
Jumping Flash!*
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee*
Resident Evil Director’s Cut*
Tekken 3*
Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six*

All those games are the pal versions.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

That's so ridiculously stupid.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Okay... so I know sometimes trickery was used. The NTSC games were sped up 20% so when then slowed to 50Hz on a PAL machine, they actually ran at the correct speeds.

I have DLed a PAL PS1 iso that actually ran faster on a US system than the NTSC iso.

Do we know there will be speed differences? Or will they compensate within the software to correct it?

Why the eff would they do this when their home country is NTSC? Any reason you can think of? Do all NTSC monitors/TVs accept this?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
marurun

Post by marurun »

According to Eurogamer, Digital Foundry is finding it to just be a mess for the poor Europeans.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... first-look

But even the regular NTSC performance suffers in the emulator and doesn't live up to the original in terms of frame stability.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Tekken 3 especially... PAL version is apparently 20% slower. lmao

Good job Sony.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Well that seals it. Only the hacking community can save this thing now.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

This is a disgrace from Sony, from the limited (and odd) selection of games to the open source emulation, they really phoned this in for a seasonal cash-in.

Though my personal interest for all these mini consoles is generally limited anyway, since I don't like to emulate (especially my first experience through a game) and on top of that I like to physically own what games I play when possible, if this was more reasonably priced, or had interesting additional features, I would get it just as a sit-on-a-shelf collectable, but the way it is now, is not worth it even for that.

If people manage to hack it, and there's enough space within to hold a decent library it may be worth it down the road, but still $100 is too much for what amounts to a plastic shell.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Happened to go into the mall for the first time in at least 6mo today and gamestop is in a very high traffic space near the food court. They had the things, supply on hand, and well, they weren't exactly exiting the building like the Nintendo systems.

I think word got around on this one, just not the fan base behind it with the fond memories as much as the group Nintendo catered too so that wasn't so there to fall back on.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Eh, my preordered one shipped. I'll put it next to my Neo Geo X and Ouya.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

isiolia wrote:Eh, my preordered one shipped. I'll put it next to my Neo Geo X and Ouya.

The Shelf of Regrets? :lol:

https://twitter.com/jeffgerstmann/statu ... 5781892096