PlayStation Classic

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: PlayStation Classic

Post by Jagosaurus »

Still interested to see what the hacking community does with it and has to say about it's innards... still much cheaper than a Vita.

The Pi runs PS1 well... heck, my 15 year old oXbox has ran all the PS1 titles I've thrown at it. Still keeping an eye out though...

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Here is a really good review of its shortcomings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU0dn9pRKuw

On paper, the hardware specs should be more than sufficient to run PS1 games. However, the emulator Sony used is garbage. In the video, they also run the same emulator on an Nvidia Shield and get slightly better but still poor results. And as expected, the PAL games further hurt proper performance.

Oh and for those that were wondering, the onboard storage is 16GB. So plenty of room for a healthy selection of games as long as you aren't filling the thing entirely with multi-disc games.
Phades
64-bit

Post by Phades »

I'm still tempted to grab one in case the mod community turns it into something desirable. Even if it just sits on a shelf next to the NES and SNES classics, it's certainly cool looking.
XBL: Phades
PSN: Phades
Steam: Phades
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Apparently you can plug in a USB keyboard to the system, press escape and access the emulators menu which allows you to add scanlines, change framerate, have multiple save states and more. This is not an intentional set of features, just ones Sony didn't realize were there.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

I just saw that. Reports on Reddit say that it doesn't work with every keyboard. Also early opinions say that it isn't going to be hackable without hardware modification.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

bmoc wrote:I just saw that. Reports on Reddit say that it doesn't work with every keyboard. Also early opinions say that it isn't going to be hackable without hardware modification.

This is true. Even though the emulator menu has an option for loading an ISO, there is no input that it recognizes. I am sure someone will find away at some point, but I don't think it will be as easy as people assume. This isn't the NES and SNES classic here.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

bmoc wrote:Also early opinions say that it isn't going to be hackable without hardware modification.

At that point, they may as well take the shell and stick a Pi in it, is the only part of this thing to be worth anything anyway.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

So the source code for a huge pile of amazing games like parappa the rapper, vagrant story, silent hill, tomba, parasite eve, suikoden and so so much more have been found on the console itself, but not the isos itself. What in the world is going on with this system?

Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Seems like they tested things and decided to go with worse ideas, or it's a secret trolling campaign by Sony knowing people would dig and never leave it alone. I'm hoping people figure out a backdoor through one of those USB ports front/back it is anyone can access.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:So the source code for a huge pile of amazing games like parappa the rapper, vagrant story, silent hill, tomba, parasite eve, suikoden and so so much more have been found on the console itself, but not the isos itself. What in the world is going on with this system?

Sounds to me that the development team had much, much, much higher aspirations for the system than the licensing team was able to deliver.