Recommend me Japanese-import PS1/PS2 games!

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Recommend me Japanese-import PS1/PS2 games!

Post by Nemoide »

I have a Japanese PS2 that I mostly use to play Beatmania IIDX but feel like I ought to expand my horizons. I already know about Vib Ribbon, Pop'n Music, and different versions of Dance Dance Revolution but would like to try some non-music games.

What are some good Japan-only games for PS1/PS2? I'm specifically looking for things that won't break the bank (Harmful Park isn't going to happen) and that don't require serious fluency in Japanese - I can kind of read at a kindergarten-level, but visual novels and RPGs are a no-go.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Recommend me Japanese-import PS1/PS2 games!

Post by Jagosaurus »

PS2 NiGHTS was a Japanese only release. It's a remake but also had the ability to select the Saturn original. I've got this running off my HDD. Really enjoy it.

Following this thread as I'd like more recs as well!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Here's some great Japan exclusive PS1 games that are easy to pick up and play, but I think the first two are the only ones you might find cheaply...

Gradius Gaiden
Mr. Driller G
Nekketsu Oyako
Panzer Bandit
Rakugaki Showtime
The Adventure of Little Ralph
Zoku Gussun Oyoyo
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

If you're into racers at all, I can wholeheartedly recommend Side By Side for PS1. Best racing game on the system as far as I'm concerned, and quite affordable too.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Jagosaurus wrote:PS2 NiGHTS was a Japanese only release. It's a remake but also had the ability to select the Saturn original. I've got this running off my HDD. Really enjoy it.

Following this thread as I'd like more recs as well!

THIS, no Mod Chip needed. You can easily setup a hard drive in each of your PS2 fats. Even the U.S. PS2 can have imports installed either by first installing on Japan PS2 and swapping to U.S. PS2 or with a flip top console cover.

PS2 Nights is part of the Sega Ages series, there is a review article on the front page. The PS2 Dual Shock a perfect "Sega Saturn 3D" controller. The Wii remake also well done with the right 3rd party controller.

The Nights series - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=570694#p570694

Sega Ages Virtua On also very good played as dual stick with the dual shock analog sticks. It can be also setup as dual arcade stick with a simple mod.

Gaah, I like the older Hardcore Gaming site better.

Sega Ages - https://hg101.kontek.net/segaages/segaages.htm
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Sunsoft also did some PS2 re-releases that play perfectly @ 240P on PS2.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

The only other JPN PS2 title I have played to my recollection is the Darkstalkers collection. Definitely worth checking out.

CRTGAMER wrote:... by first installing on Japan PS2 and swapping to U.S. PS2 or with a flip top console cover.

You can just stick the JPN game in your PC and rip the ISO via ImgBurn, transfer over to US PS2 HDD.

No need for hardware tricks or a second region console. If I had a JPN PS2, I'd just use that for imports :lol:

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Jagosaurus wrote:The only other JPN PS2 title I have played to my recollection is the Darkstalkers collection. Definitely worth checking out.
CRTGAMER wrote:... by first installing on Japan PS2 and swapping to U.S. PS2 or with a flip top console cover.
You can just stick the JPN game in your PC and rip the ISO via ImgBurn, transfer over to US PS2 HDD.

No need for hardware tricks or a second region console. If I had a JPN PS2, I'd just use that for imports :lol:

The PC transfer another good alternate; each method to prevent risks of soldering in a mod chip. The novelty of owning the Japan PS2 console cool and see your point maximizing its use for Japan games. The consoles even better flexibility circumventing the region code by having a mix of different region favorite games installed.

One thing I did notice are separate save files on the same memory card (or in hard drive for newer hard drive frontends) for the exact same game. I have Ico PAL and NTSC-U both same name saves on the same memory card; a hidden pointer in the file to allow both to reside. PS2 Import ICO has additional features in the game.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425