Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
racketboy
Site Admin

Best Retro XBLA Games That Aren't on PS3

by racketboy Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:54 am

I've been looking to round out my XBLA game selection with retro titles that aren't on the PS3.

So far I have the following:

Radiant Silvergun
Ikaruga
Rez HD
Guardian Heroes

Lots of Treasure, I realize ;) I didn't get Bangai O HD as I have the Dreamcast and don't play it enough. I may get it later, but I'm curious what you think of the port...

What other titles do you recommend?

It's tricky as I'm all about physical games, but its nice to have some in digital form as well. I'm on the fence if I should by Garou Mark of the Wolves again and even get Jet Set Radio again even though I also have it on PS3 :lol:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Best Retro XBLA Games That Aren't on PS3

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:30 pm

I have both Jet Set Willy and Manic Miner on my Xbox 360. Both are ZX Spectrum classics, but sadly, neither is available for purchase since Microsoft took down the XBLA indies. :?
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:43 pm

racketboy wrote:It's tricky as I'm all about physical games, but its nice to have some in digital form as well. I'm on the fence if I should by Garou Mark of the Wolves again and even get Jet Set Radio again even though I also have it on PS3 :lol:

I think the 360 had more compilation discs released for older titles than the PS3 did, if you'd rather get things that way:

Capcom Digital Collection
and Namco Museum Virtual Arcade are fairly decent for their inclusions. The Konami Classics discs a bit less so, but they're technically there.

There were also Popcap Arcade discs, though they have some crossover with Microsoft's other somewhat randomly titled XBLA game compilations.

While it doesn't include JSR, there was a Dreamcast Collection disc as well.

The oddly named Qubed compilation disc does include Rez HD (though it's now on 8th gen as well, and PC, in VR).

Otherwise, Shadow Complex is worth mentioning for it's reception at the time (at least), though while it wasn't on PS3, the Remastered version is now on PS4 and other platforms.

I don't think anything else got the Alien Hominid HD port either, until I guess the XB1 now.
Omerta
Next-Gen

by Omerta Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:43 pm

It's been years since I've played either, but I think that Bangai-O wasn't a remake but a "sequel" on 360. It felt nearly identical to the Dreamcast game in terms of game play, but I want to say that the levels were different.

I'd say buy it though. The extra buttons, extra analog stick, and the HD graphics make it a better experience. I probably logged double the time into the 360 game over the Dreamcast one.

Also for the retro-but-not-on-PS3 list I'd recommend some shmups: Cave's Guwange, KOF Sky Stage, and Triggerheart Exelica. And while it's not really old school, G.rev (the company behind Border Down and Under Defeat) released an average shmup called "Strania" as well for XBLA.

If we run the route of retro-STYLED-but-not-on-PS3, Ska Studios (the makers of Salt and Sanctuary) has some excellent brawlers in Charlie Murder, The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai, and The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile. They are all extremely fun, highly violent/gory, dark themed, control like a dream, have excellent music and share a unique art style that spans all of them.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:30 am

I always forget about KOF Skystage. It's good?

I'll co-sign Triggerheart Excelica. Great GREAT game, and much cheaper on 360 than tracking down a DC copy. I do wish that it had gotten a physical 360 release, though.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:43 am

dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:56 am

noiseredux wrote:I always forget about KOF Skystage. It's good?

its playable, and maybe more enjoyable for KOF fans, but as a shooter I wasn't too impressed. Not terrible, but not a stand out either.

Of the XBLA-exclusive console releases, I think Guwange is probably my favorite. What!? a Cave game? No way! :lol:

If you want to count Games On Demand releases, Deathsmiles IIX is a unique one. Its region-locked to Japan in its physical release, but can be played via GoD on a non-JP console. So, its sort-of XBLA exclusive, sort of not. Figured it was worth mentioning.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:21 pm

Thanks for the replies, everyone! That's al very helpful!

isiolia, special thanks for the compilation links -- thee's a few I was considering, so having the discs as an option is pretty nice!

Anyone have experience with Virtual On OT, Darkstalkers Resurrection, or Virtua Fighter 2 on XBLA? I'm thinking about those...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:23 pm

Darkstalkers Resurrection is solid.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:36 pm

noiseredux wrote:Darkstalkers Resurrection is solid.

Sweet! But that's on PS3 as well.... :D
Return to Sony and Microsoft