Buying a Xbox 360 Console in 2018 - Hardware & Game Recs

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Re: Buying a Xbox 360 Console in 2018 - Hardware & Game Recs

Post by Nemoide »

I just recently replaced the wi-fi adapter for my older-model 360 and have been using it for the first time in a couple years, mostly inspired by a desire to watch anime on Crunchyroll on a TV instead of my PC.

Xbox Live is still up and running but I'm not sure how many players you might be able to find. I know I'm #1 on the weekly leaderboard for XIIZeal and DeltaZeal... I think I might be the only player worldwide to play that game in 2017. :P But at least you'll still be able to buy games and access streaming apps for the forseeable future.

My biggest recommendation for the 360 are shmups. Deathsmiles is one of the best and you can find it very easily for cheap. Akai Katana's another great one that's also easy to find. I also love Eschatos, but that one's a Japanese import (but is region free).

One bit of advice: if you can at all find a new, official wired controller, snap that up! It looks like Microsoft has discontinued them. I thankfully was worried about that happening and got one a while back just to have as a backup. It's the most long-term reliable controller.
The console came with a wireless "play & charge" controller, but the battery seems to be 100% dead (there's also an adapter to use AAA batteries, but I don't want to be burning through those) so I just leave it plugged in all the time.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Deathsmiles rules.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Jagosaurus wrote:So oXbox games install the HDD fully? I do plan on using that some as I love my oXbox. Lots of my games there are digital .xbes off HDD only though. Will check the discs I have versus the compatibility list.

I don't believe so. I think it's more due to oXbox titles being supported on a per-game basis, and requiring support files to be downloaded for each one. Unlike the XB1 backwards compatibility, which does simply go out and grab a port of the game to full install, the 360 only seems to download a small amount of data for oXbox games.

Might also be due to the original system always having a HDD, so games were written to expect it.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Jago, looks like you have most questions covered here, but if there's anything else, you can text me, too.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

isiolia wrote: ...MS seems to be making an effort to kind of keep content between the 360 and XB1 (via backward compatibility), to the point that they're selling repackaged 360 games for XB1. So while, yes, Gold does cost money, far as I know it's still mostly there for the 360.

Well.... holy crap. They have repackaged a ton of 360 games as Xbox One titles. I honestly hadn't been following close enough to notice but archived your comment there. Had a chance to scroll through Amazon and look at the Best Buy shelves. Wow.

The One S now being $200... having a decent bit of the 360 library and a UHD 4K BD drive is tempting...

Still leaning towards a 360 E 250GB. My local brick and mortar sells them for $80 with a controller. That's not bad at all!

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

if you're really on the fence, I'd put my vote for Xbox One. The S is a great iteration of the console. Though backwards compatibility isn't 100%, there's an impressive and constantly growing list. I've been working on a collector's guide for all the physical BC games actually. And this year they even added a dozen ORIGINAL Xbox games to the list. Plus there's the obvious benefit of having the ability to play NEW Xbox One games on it as well haha.

Check Dealzon, as there's probably even (sub?)$200 bundles you can get right now for the holidays with free games or 6 months of Gold and all. Honestly, it's a great price for a console for gaming and does 4K video and blu-ray. I honestly haven't touched another console in months. And I bought a Switch this year.

EDIT: Yup, Dealzon shows right now a Madden 18 bundle at BB, and another bundle at Walmart comes w/ Halo 5 and the Master Chief Collection.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I'll use this opportunity for a shameless plugin (don't judge me): if you're game hunting I've done a little guide on here that includes some rereleased games that has DLC included.

viewtopic.php?f=52&t=44588&p=821770#p821770

As for other information you asked people have already pretty much mentioned hardware stuff but I'll add a point: the Xbox 360 S model had actually two types with slightly different power consumptions. The original S model was following the original release of the 360. Then the internals were revised to use up a bit less power. The same internals are found in the E model. Ideally the best 360 is the S model with the revised internals since it's newer and has more flexibility than the E.

It's a half ass response on the hardware part but I'm on mobile and will update my post with more information later when I get home.

Edit: found the information I was looking for. On the back panel of the Xbox 360 has voltage and other electrical statistics on the sticker. There were two S models using different motherboard configurations. If you're looking for 360 I suggest looking at the back sticker. There you're find amperage information. The first run of the 360 S shows a rating of 10.83A. The second run of the S and also the E has a rating of 9.5A. You want the later in S form since it's a newer board with lower power consumption and all the A/V connections you'd want.
Last edited by casterofdreams on Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Gonna throw this new discussion link here too
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=51842

Doesn’t sound like you have a PS3, but I’m looking for recommendations for XBLA games that aren’t on PS3
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Great responses all around. I will check those links.

From my local store, I ended up with a black 360 E 250GB model with power supply & like new black first party controller with a CIB copy of Halo 3... for $80.54 out the door taxes included. They include a 180 warranty. I'm not too worried there. I dont think this last revision even saw much use from the previous owner. This thing is quiet!

Turns out Halo 3 wasn't able to be saved due to scratches. What do people do to these games!? I swapped it at no charge for a CIB copy of Dead Space 2.

Think I made out well for $80! :D

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

You did. Especially when you got a 250GB drive included in that price. Should be plenty of space for installed games and some XBLA games. You've got a ton of resources all across the site so enjoy :)