Non-Mainstream Gamer's Recommendations for Xbox 360

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Non-Mainstream Gamer's Recommendations for Xbox 360

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Eschatos is great. It even has a "budget" double pack release with Ginga Force (both region free). Well worth picking up.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Will be looking all of these up. I just acquired a 360. Doing some game research on my own Kameo and Overlord 1&2 immediately stood out to me. Nice to see them both receive a nod here.

I DLed Kameo off XBL and it'll be my first 360 title to play since ~2010 (used roommates and friends consoles back then).

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I don't know if they're really non-mainstream or not, but I've been interested in checking out Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey for a while now.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

noiseredux wrote:I don't know if they're really non-mainstream or not, but I've been interested in checking out Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey for a while now.

It's not a popular opinion but I much prefer Blue Dragon to LO. Both are great. We need Mistwalker to make a current gen console RPG. They really knew how to make stellar looking games on 360 and Wii. They could really do something with PS4 and/or Switch.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

noiseredux wrote:I don't know if they're really non-mainstream or not, but I've been interested in checking out Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey for a while now.

I actually have Lost Odyssey sitting around as I bought a lot of OG Xbox games and they had it in the bundle (it didn't seem to effect the auction price). So I feel like I got it for free :)
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

Along with Dunpeal's Child of Eden recommation I'll throw out Qubed which is a collection that contains HD versions of Rez HD, Lumines Live!, and E4 (Every Extend Extra Extreme).

Record of Agarest was released on the 360 along with prequel (Zero) which is a turn based SJRPG.

Resonance of Fate is a JRPG developed by tri-ACE that was completely overshadowed by FF XIII since the release window was so close. It's got a cool world and is fought with guns and sweet moves.

I don't know if it's considered non-mainstream but my last one is Kingdoms of Amalur. That's the game with the whole Rhode Island financial thing and the developers. Anyway it's a solid western RPG with a rich world of lore and tons of stuff to do. Was supposed to be an MMO but shifted to a single player game. You might see some MMO signs if you're familiar with the structure of one.
Last edited by casterofdreams on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I've always been interested in Amalar... because of the RI thing haha.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Kingdoms of Amalur is one of my favorite RPGs from last gen. Such a great game and didn't deserve its fate. The DLC is worth buying as well. They act like full on expansion passes. I think anyone interested in the game better grab it and gets the DLC while they can. I can't imagine EA keeping it up much longer.
Rydon
24-bit

Post by Rydon »

A lot of the listed games seem to be mainstream to me. Here is what I have that I would consider non-mainstream xbox 360 games:

Alpha Protocol (multi platform) - is talked about but I don't see a lot of buzz about it. It is a solid game though, with good replayability. Spy / action game with RPG and conversation choices.

Last Remnant - (Console exclusive) - I havent played this but it looked cool so I picked it up cheap one day at GS. There was another thread on 360 games and multiple people had recommended this one to me as a good pick.

Ninety - Nine Nights (Exclusive) - Hack and slash Dynasty Warriors clone. Has mixed reviews but looks cool and I always like a good hack and slash

Omerta - City of Gangsters (Console Exclusive) - Sim / turn based tactical game in the vein of Civ or Xcom. You are a gangster that makes deals and takes out competition. Pretty unique game for the console side, and an exclusive to boot. I got it due to playing somewhat (not completely) like Jagged Alliance.

Prey - (console exclusive) FPS with a cool tone / atmosphere, and even more interesting history of being in development hell.

Remember Me - (multi plat) - cool third person adventure game with a cyber punk and dystopian atmosphere.

Saboteur (multi plat) - This one might be too mainstream to add, but it is Pandemic's last game. Gotta love the company that made the really good first two battlefront games.

There are also the shooters which I am not sure how mainstream they were but people already mentioned: Deathsmiles and Otomedius.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Been doing some digging on my own and ran across Enslaved: Odyssey to the West which Patridge mentioned earlier. This game fits the unique visual and art direction category and looks like an interesting game. Definitely on my to play list now.

I also started Kameo last night which I am thoroughly enjoying. Changing between "elements" (which are really creatures) to solve puzzles and get through an otherwise blocked area is extremely satisfying and fun.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5