Non-Mainstream Gamer's Recommendations for Xbox 360

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Non-Mainstream Gamer's Recommendations for Xbox 360

Post by alienjesus »

Segata wrote:[Final Fantasy is] ...THE most mainstream RPG series out there in terms of popularity.

This gets thrown out constantly, but it's just not true. Pokémon is easily the most popular RPG series out there.

Anyhow, more on topic, I hear El Shaddai was good. Anyone had much experience of it?
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I second that Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia are both fantastic games that are well worth playing~

I'd also postulate that mentioning something like FFXIII is reasonable on the "it's not as bad as everyone says it is" grounds, as it's a game I think a lot of people, myself included, gave a miss because of what I'd heard about it.

There are few games that are multiplatform that I or others mentioned in the PS3 thread that I'll just list here briefly:

Overlord (but the 360 version doesn't have the Hell DLC included on-disc)
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Splatterhouse
Blur
Killer is Dead
Shadows of the Damned
Catherine
Binary Domain
Asura's Wrath
El Shaddai (@alienjesus is alright, but not great, and things like Enslaved and Splatterhouse easily do everything it's trying to do far more competently)

Here're my new recommendations, even though some of these are multi-plat as well, a lot of them I just forgot to mention in the last thread :P :

- Dynasty Warriors Gundam (series): Granted I've only played the first one, which I'm fairly sure was only physical on 360 and got a later PS3 release (and I wanna say even has a PS2 release which technically has the most content, oddly enough), I really really enjoyed it. It's a great little adaptation of the series in a hack n' slash formula that anyone can have fun with for at least a bit :) (and the series final, Japan-only entry is only on PS3 (and again, PS2, oddly enough)).

- Dead to Rights: Retribution: A fantastically fun 3rd person shooter and action game. It was designed to have a really seamless flow of combat between guns and melee, and DAMN if it don't work. It's got a pretty hammy "cop-corruption and you're one of the last straight cops (with your giant super smart killer dog)" plot, but damn if it ain't loads of fun. Well worth the fiver it goes for. (and it is also on PS3)

- Blood Bowl: It's not an exclusive realllly, as this port of the 8-team version is also technically on PSP, but it ain't on PS3, and this is a fantastic port of the old Cyanide-developed Blood Bowl on PC. It's a fantastic way to get into the series, with my only caveat being that it IS old Blood Bowl, so it's far far harder to learn than Blood Bowl 2 presents things as well as the UI not being as intuitive to operate or learn. HOWEVER, as someone who already knew how to play the PC version very well, I had a lot of fun with the 360 port.

- Dark Messiah of Might and Magic: I think this is technically also on PC, but not on PS3 to the best of my knowledge. It's made by Arcane (the Dishonored guys), and for the most part your main character controls like a much fatter Corvo. Once you get past the much harsher momentum, though, it's a very familiar engine to operate in despite the different mechanics. It's not the best game in the world, as the start is SUPER slow, but once you get past that, it's not a bad first-person action-adventure game. Worth a fiver.

- Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2: Another entry that is technically on the PS3 as well, but the 360 was the only one to get a physical Western release (for whatever reason O.o). Another Warriors game, yes, but this one has ALL the content of the first FotNS Warriors game of last gen, which follows the main story of the anime fairly closely, as well as adding a huge "dream mode" where you can play as most all of the villains in the game. It's also a bit weird for a Warriors game, at least for the time, in that you have things like assignable moves, a dedicated (and effective) block button, as well as even dodging (iirc). It plays much more like a more linear action game than any other Warriors game I've played, despite still being in the same engine and same style, but it's alright for what it is. Not a great game (and will certainly be overshadowed by next year's Yakuza-crossover game), but still a good one for the right person, especially one that loves the FotNS or Warriors series already.

- Mafia II: Another one that's also on PS3, but another cheap goodie. It's a GTA-style game set in post-WW2 non-New York, but it's far more of a 3rd-person shooter/action game than something like L.A. Noire. It's got some problems, like how it REALLY needs a blind fire option, considering how crazy some of the action segments get, but it's got a really fun story and is absolutely DRIPPING with character color and style. If the language in L.A. Noire was a bit tame for you with absolutely 0-racial language, (while they never drop an N-bomb) they REALLY make up for that in this game XD. Some people really don't like all the driving, but I really really enjoyed this game. Another one well worth the fiver it'll cost ya.

- Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom: One of the best Zelda-like's I've ever played. I'd go as far to say that I enjoyed it more than any console Zelda of last gen. It's a fantastic action-adventure game, and your big monster really adds a lot to the puzzle-element of things that Zelda has just never been able to bring to the table. The story is also quite good, I'd say, and often goes a bit darker than you'd imagine a story like it would be willing to go. It's also on PS3, but both versions are getting pretty dang hard to find, despite how cheap they are, so definitely worth a pick up if you can track down a copy.

- Monster Madness: Battle For Suburbia: This is technically a multi-plat with PS3, but the PS3 game has an entirely different title, for whatever reason, despite being the exact same game. It's a REALLY hammy (on purpose) monster-movie parody that takes the form of a 4-player co-op action game, almost like if Zombies Ate My Neighbors got a much easier modern re-imagining. It's not that easy to track down, though I'd say it's easier to find than Majin, and especially if you've got some friends to play with, it's well worth the fiver.

- Chromehounds: A fun mech-battle game. It's all heavy, Western mechs as well, with 6 different 6-mission campaigns for each of the six roles, the story won't exactly set your world on fire, and the game doesn't control or give the player information as well as it really could, but it's a fun exclusive, especially for an early 360 title. It's worth the couple bucks it'll run ya at the very least.

- Infinite Undiscovery: Now, I'll admit I haven't played too much of this, but it's a fairly typical Aksys game in most respects. The story is a bit more Byzantine and unclearly presented than it could be, which doesn't make it the easiest thing to invest yourself into. The kinda-real time kinda-turn based with directable AI companion combat is interesting, but tie that in with stuff like the stealth mechanics and the fact that SO much of it is thrown at you all at once within the first mission, and the game's mechanics don't quite mesh as well as they could. It's a competant game though. Not one I'd recommend as one I enjoyed personally, but for the $5 it'll run ya, it's a decent enough exclusive that I could see someone of a slightly different taste enjoying.

- Beautiful Katamari: Now, Katamari is hardly an unknown series, but I was personally very surprised to even see there was one on 360 at all. This is the same team from the PSP entry that was lacking the series' original creator, but they've improved a LOT since that train-wreck. It's a very competent Katamari game. Not as cleverly designed or varied as We <3 Katamari, but still a damn good one.

- Spec Ops: The Line: Again, a multi-plat that isn't exactly unknown, but I feel it's worth mentioning. Very competant and well put together 3rd-person cover-shooter wrapped in a fantastically done "Horrors of War"-storyline make this really unlike anything else I've played that gen. A good pick up if you somehow haven't played it.

- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine: Another cheapy multi-plat, but a damn fun one. Going around as a big, British Space Marine clobbering orks in half with your giant chain sword. Does it grapple with the anti-fascist subtexts the 40k series was founded on? Not really at all, which is par for the course of most of their recent media efforts, but it doesn't stop this from being a big, stupid, carnage-filled romp through space.

- Trials HD/Limbo/'Splosion Man: Where the PS3 has the "best of PSN" series, the 360 also has this, which is a great way to get these game physically if you haven't played them digitally already on the myriad of platforms they're already on. Not unknown games by any stretch, but I was shocked to see such an odd collection even existed when I bumped into it just a year ago, so I feel it's worth mentioning here.

Games I own but haven't played and would like to see someone comment on:

Cudcept Saga
Clive Barker's Jericho
Magna Carta 2
Project Sylpheed
Ninja Blade
Samurai Shodown Sen
Transformers: War for Cybertron (series)
Zone of the Enders HD Collection
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I'd also postulate that mentioning something like FFXIII is reasonable on the "it's not as bad as everyone says it is" grounds, as it's a game I think a lot of people, myself included, gave a miss because of what I'd heard about it.

On the one hand, I'd agree that it (and XIII-2 at least, haven't beaten Lightning Returns) does have its merits, and that things like the combat system are just a bit different (and probably would stand out less today in light of more games using an AI controlled party).
On the other, the PS3 version is the clear winner between the two (even the PC version falls short of that one, in some respects). So, it's probably a stronger candidate to put on that list instead, if under consideration.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

FFXIII games all 3 of them are some of the worst RPGs I ever played last gen along with Infinite Undiscovery. They are as bad as people say. Also, Kens Rage 2 got a western release on Wii U.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I agree with you, dunpeal. The FFXIII games are a lot better than their reputation suggests, at least with me. Definitely not non-mainstream, but I see where you're coming from.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Kameo Elements of Power was a launch title for 360; it wasn't available on any other contemporary platform; and it was developed by Rare over the course of many years. This game is also available on the Rare Replay collection for XBOX One.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Sarge wrote:I agree with you, dunpeal. The FFXIII games are a lot better than their reputation suggests, at least with me. Definitely not non-mainstream, but I see where you're coming from.

I really enjoyed XIII and thought XIII-2 was pretty great, actually. I never got around to Lightning Returns.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Segata wrote:Disregarding opinions on FFXIII as a game, it would not count in this thread. This is non-mainstream games and FFXIII sold 11 million copies. It's THE most mainstream RPG series out there in terms of popularity.

Spirit of the law more than letter, dude. I'm sure you could tell from the rest of my suggestions that I more than understood the request, and just felt this one fitting. Also, per the OP

racketboy wrote: I just don't really want a bunch of mainstream/popular game recommendations unless they are something that will appeal to the typical habits of myself and much of the primary demographic here.

isiolia wrote:On the other, the PS3 version is the clear winner between the two (even the PC version falls short of that one, in some respects). So, it's probably a stronger candidate to put on that list instead, if under consideration.

Good point! I've only ever played the 360 release, so I wasn't aware of version differences. Might be best to avoid it here then, unless the potential buyer only planned to have a 360. :)
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

One of my favorite non-mainstream games for the 360: Eschatos

It's a shmup that was only released in Japan, but it's region-free, so it's not a problem playing on an American console. Of all the shmups on the system, it feels the most Sega Genesis-y, with a really solid difficulty curve that never feels brutally unfair (like Ikaruga does). Oh and the soundtrack is EXTREMELY ROCKIN' AWESOME.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Nemoide wrote:it feels the most Sega Genesis-y, with a really solid difficulty curve that never feels brutally unfair (like Ikaruga does). Oh and the soundtrack is EXTREMELY ROCKIN' AWESOME.

You had me at Sega Genesis! :mrgreen: