Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Non-Mainstream Gamer's Recommendations for PS3

by isiolia Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:44 pm

racketboy wrote:Is there any advantage of Mirrors Edge on PS3 vs 360?

Not majorly, no. On PS3, the game has no AA or vsync, so it looks a little rougher and has a bit more screen tear. The 360 version has some AA and runs vsynced, but apparently has some big frame drops at times. No real decisive winner between the consoles. It is, of course, on PC as well.

Some possible entries...

Castlevania Lords of Shadow - While the CE is kinda nice, I'd suggest the Collection, which rolls in the DLC (important, as it includes the actual ending) and Mirror of Fate HD, which is set between this and the sequel. Lords of Shadow 2 is also good, but not as good.
While the 360 version is very similar, the PS3 was apparently the lead platform (PC version, of course, is nicer, and rolls in the DLC by default).

Best of PlayStation Network - Vol. 1 - Mostly because it includes Tokyo Jungle.

Deception IV: Blood Ties - Technically the fifth one in the series - the PS2 entry was called Trapt for some reason. This did get a PS4 version with extra content though.

Dragon's Crown - PS4 version on the way too.

Motorstorm (series) - Early PS3 exclusive type stuff that took advantage of cell processing for things like mud tracks. Studio that made them has since been sold off and is making a similar multiplatform game (Onrush). So, it's possible it'll stay as one of things that remains a PS3 thing, and not ported like so much else.

I'd also put Lair and Heavenly Sword up for consideration based more on their early-console relevance. Lair did get patched to address the control issue (haven't played it personally), and Heavenly Sword feels dated at best...but it's not terrible either, and is very cheap used.

El Shaddai Ascension of the Metatron and Drakengard 3 for art/strangeness perhaps.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:31 pm

isiolia wrote:Dragon's Crown - PS4 version on the way too.

Great shout! Great game that I really love. I always forget that was released on console too, as I personally have the Vita version.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo ID: Mark-Beth
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:57 pm

isiolia wrote:El Shaddai Ascension of the Metatron for art/strangeness perhaps.

El Shaddai is a game I'd say feels dated and not good but not terrible. It controls alright, but the story is really all over the place and it thinks its a LOT better than it really is. It's an alright action platformer. Nothing great, but not bad.

I also second that Catherine, Binary Domain, and Asura's Wrath as damn brilliant games.

As far as my own recommendations go, I wouldn't say any of them are particularly unknown, but they're good games that I know most people I know haven't played, even if they have heard of them:

- Overlord (series): A great, silly spin on the Pikmin formula, and the PS3 version of the original has the actual gameplay DLC packed in for free! The sequel is alright, but it runs pretty choppy on both 360 and PS3, and is a real step down from the original from an overall design perspective.

- Splatterhouse: Not sure if I'd call it a hidden gem, per se, given the big name it has attached to it, but most folks I know haven't played it. A great brawler platformer from Namco (with an emphasis on the brawling) that is really pretty to boot.

- Enslaved: Odyssey to the West: A fantastic brawler platformer from Ninja Theory. Has a great story based off of the Journey To the West (aka The Monkey King) story from post-classical China, and has a bigger emphasis on platforming than Splatterhouse even though it's just as damn pretty.

- Killer is Dead: A Grasshopper Studios game that plays a bit like Shadow of the Damned meets Bayonetta. It takes some getting used to (as with any GS or Suda51 game), but it's a pretty quality action game.

- Shadows of the Damned: Another Suda51 game, but another fun one. It's a third-person shooter dripping with style and Latin-American themes (put through the always strange Suda51/Japanese lens). It's got one or two REALLY annoying bits, but I really enjoyed it, and I don't generally with stuff in this genre :)

- Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale: Given the pedigree, it's hardly an unknown title, but I feel this game gets a lot more flak than it deserves. It's a great game for what it is, and is an excellent companion to something like Smash Bros. For what its worth, its certainly the most different mechanically and best-playing of any cross-over Smash-likes I've played. It's well worth it at the $10-ish price it's at now, at any rate.

- Blur: My favorite kart racer ever. Yes, it has real-ish cars, but it plays like a kart racer. Now, I DID play through it on 360, so I'm not sure how the PS3 port holds up, but I loved Blur so much, I couldn't even play Sonic Racing Transformed because I was just so irritated at how much it wasn't Blur.

Games I own but haven't played and have heard good things about that perhaps other people could comment on:

Folklore
White Knight Chronicles II (the first one is included on the disk)
The Saboteur
Lollipop Chainsaw
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:14 pm

PartridgeSenpai wrote:- Splatterhouse: Not sure if I'd call it a hidden gem, per se, given the big name it has attached to it, but most folks I know haven't played it. A great brawler platformer from Namco (with an emphasis on the brawling) that is really pretty to boot.

Also has the original games to unlock I believe? I have it but haven't played it.

While you mentioned it, I'd say Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed would warrant inclusion (or on 360, or both) as it's a great title as well. Better on PC, of course, but that goes for almost anything with a PC port.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:07 pm

isiolia wrote:Also has the original games to unlock I believe? I have it but haven't played it.

Yes, with the port of the first game being the arcade version.
Return to Sony and Microsoft