Choosing a PS2 Model?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
racketboy
Site Admin

Choosing a PS2 Model?

Post by racketboy »

So what's the pros and cons of all the PS2 models out there?
And how about compared to a PS3 with backwards compatibility?

I actually have a backwards compatible PS3, but it doesn't seem to power on anymore (and even before that, the touch-based eject button stopped working). Not sure how likely repair is of that -- real shame....
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Choosing a PS2 Model?

Post by Sarge »

Some folks may know more than I do, but the "fat" model, depending on which version you get, will either perform like a champ or have some dicey laser issues at some point. Sony didn't use high-quality stuff, just like the PSX. You'll also run into a point where you might need to clean off the little rubber portion that holds the disc; with a lot of dust on there, it won't grip the disc, it will slip a bit, and you'll basically not be able to play games (or they'll take forever to load). The advantage of the big ones, though, is getting the network adapter, a big IDE hard drive, and putting HDLoader (or Open PS2 Loader) on there. I've had mine like that for years, and it's great for almost all games, makes the load times blisteringly fast, and no disc-swapping.

The Slims, from my experience, tend to have better lasers, so if all you're going to do is play legit discs, this might be the way to go. You can't do the HDD mod, though, and while some games can load through USB, the ports are only USB 1.1, so things are going to go slow (and probably skip a lot on big FMVs).

Someone correct me if I've gotten anything wrong here, this is mostly just from my own experience with my consoles.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Cool thanks.

Oh I should throw the PSX out there too. It's Japanese only right? Way to play NTSC games easily? Any advantages other than the sweet style?

What about video output on all the models? RGB output available on all?
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

PSX is a pile of junk. High and I mean very high failure rates. Just get the Slim PS2. PSX is only cool to own just to own it but not to use it. PSX is region locked to Japanese games.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Segata wrote:PSX is a pile of junk. High and I mean very high failure rates. Just get the Slim PS2. PSX is only cool to own just to own it but not to use it. PSX is region locked to Japanese games.

The PSX indeed has an absurdly high failure rate. So high, that, even compared to the pretty damn botched PS2 initial launch line of PS2's failure rates, I'm shocked it was ever commercially released in that state.

I'd hesitate to recommend the PS2 Slim, personally, as there are a handful of PS1, and even PS2, games that just don't work on it. You'd want a fat model with a later manufacture date, in my experience.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I'd hesitate to recommend the PS2 Slim, personally, as there are a handful of PS1, and even PS2, games that just don't work on it.

What PS2 games don't work on a PS2 Slim?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I was wondering about the PS1 games, myself. I know there are a few that don't work right on any model PS2, but I wasn't aware that there was an issue with Slims vs. the originals.

EDIT: Found this on CAG for PS1 games.

These games are incompatible with all models of PlayStation 2.
Arcade Party Pak
Arcade's Greatest Hits/Atari 2
Fighter Maker
Final Fantasy Anthology
Judge Dredd
Monkey Hero
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Poy Poy 2
Tomba
Wing Commander III

SCPH-75001

These games are incompatible with this specific "slim" model manufactured since 2005.
102 Dalmatians: Puppies to the Rescue
Akuji: The Heartless
Barbie: Race and Ride
Broken Helix
Bubsy 3D
Driver
Gundam Battle Assault
The Hive
Hooters: Road Trip
In Cold Blood
Jampack Vol. 2
Land Before Time: Great Valley Racing Adventure
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete
NFL Xtreme
NHL 2000
NHL 2001
NHL Blades of Steel® 2000
NHL Rock the Rink
Nuclear Strike
One
PO'ed
Powerboat Racing (VR Sports)
Rascal
Rush Down
Sentient
Speed Punks
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo
Syphon Filter 2
Syphon Filter 3
UFC: Ultimate Fighting Championship
Worms
Last edited by Sarge on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ack

Post by Ack »

There was also a recall on certain Slim's during their first release due to the power supplies overheating and becoming fire hazards. It only happened in a handful of instances, but Sony still took the precaution, so be wary.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Personally, I've had a PS2 Slim since 2007, and I've had zero issues with it. It has played every PS2 game I've thrown at it, including weird imports. It hasn't presently burst into flames yet either.

Sarge is right about the hard drive thing, if you want to play PS2 games off a hard drive, you don't want a Slim for that. You may be able to stream PS2 games over the ethernet port using a Slim though, but I don't know how to set that up. I just use FMCB + ESR.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Well, here's the list on Wikipedia. There are indeed some Slims that don't like certain PS2 games. I happen to have that one. :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... on_2_games