Choosing a PS2 Model?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Choosing a PS2 Model?

Post by Jagosaurus »

stickem wrote:Yep 480 works great, it's just the 240p format. I also have a vga input on this tv but of course it won't except my dreamcast and vga box (or an older computer I had). Luckily a vga to hdmi convertor worked for that. Why have older style inputs if the dam tv wont except older resolutions that worked with those inputs?

Yeah, I hear ya. I found a really old RB thread discussing how, even back then when VGA was the PC standard, the DC VGA actually working on monitors was hit and miss. This baffled me a bit so dug in and found the following...

"When booted in VGA mode however, the DC outputs in the unusual 720x480p resolution, but only uses the inner 640x480p. Most 480p signals from other consoles and devices output in 640x480p which your TV is designed to display perfectly in 4:3 mode, but many modern TVs have not been designed with 720x480p [over VGA] in mind, meaning the image will appear squashed when set to 4:3 or stretched in widescreen mode, making the perfect aspect ratio unattainable."

I think that signal just confuses some TVs and monitors. We know it isn't a 15 vs 31 khz issue. You will absolutely run into that if trying to connect too old of a PC (or an arcade board) to modern monitor though. You have to specifically look for compatible sets. Bottom line, VGA compatibility is a crap shoot.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
marurun

Post by marurun »

Most multisync PC monitors will have no trouble with it. They are robust and flexible things, most of them.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Personally I'm not going to bother buying a new PS2, I'm going get a decent PC and Run Emulators + Enhancements and run the games off disc on said PC.
Unless you want the games as they were. In which case If a PS2 fat is still working, it'll probably keep working for awhile.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Dikdikvandik wrote:Personally I'm not going to bother buying a new PS2, I'm going get a decent PC and Run Emulators + Enhancements and run the games off disc on said PC.
Unless you want the games as they were. In which case If a PS2 fat is still working, it'll probably keep working for awhile.

Is PS2 emu on PC getting closer? Was some decent holes about a year ago when I checked last.

I was just reading how awesome a jailbroken/CFW PS3 is at running PS2 .isos. The earlier models with hardware acceleration are apparently locked at 30 FPS. Interesting....

So if you're going to go with a modded PS2 for digital games (PS2 and PS1) I would recommend the Phat. I've been tinkering with USB the past few days for fun & have experienced way more issues that I've experienced with the HDD over the past 2 years. USB on a PS2 slim sounds cool, but it is less practical and glamorous in application. Stick with a Phat and HDD on OPL & POPS there, much more reliable.

If you're wanting to run retail disc games only, the advantage goes to the PS2 slim (tray & less mileage on laser).

I have both... :lol:

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Jagosaurus wrote:I was just reading how awesome a jailbroken/CFW PS3 is at running PS2 .isos. The earlier models with hardware acceleration are apparently locked at 30 FPS. Interesting....

Oh really? I hadn’t heard about CFW PS3 running PS2 games. Link please?
marurun

Post by marurun »

I have an original model PS2 fat that still works great.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I recently got a 9000 model myself, my old 7000 gave me disc read error problems twice over the years sadly. Tried cleaning the lens, etc, but I was getting sick of it. I guess you can't mod the 9000 models but oh well, I dig the glossy finish on one half (for once) and the hardware itself feels firmer than the 7000, the discs even seem to slide in better too. So I'm digging it. PS2's are surprisingly kind of up there in price right now, more than I thought they would be when I got this new one earlier this year. So maybe grab one sooner than waiting on it.

Nice video of comparing a lot of the models:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnDsuDAET_c

Grew up on the PS2 fat but it was my families and eventually died I think.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Cool PS2 fun fact... I found out today on either model PS2, also either USB or HDD, you can force (via a .txt config file) digital PS1 games to run at 480i over component. That's huge for most of us with LCDs that hate 240p over component. Win for both models! No more swapping cables. My ongoing PS2 mod thread in /hack & mods has more info.

samsonlonghair wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:I was just reading how awesome a jailbroken/CFW PS3 is at running PS2 .isos. The earlier models with hardware acceleration are apparently locked at 30 FPS. Interesting....

Oh really? I hadn’t heard about CFW PS3 running PS2 games. Link please?

I've read 30+ PS mod threads/developments lately so I won't be able to find the exact thread. As normal, I'll refer to a Project Phoenix Media vid tutorial. He's all over the PS2 mods. Running PS2 ISOs on PS3 with a virtual memory card:

[How To] Play PS2 Games on CFW PS3 2016 (Rebug 4.80.1 DEX Tutorial)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsvUrVqIa0c

This is 2 years old. Might be newer methods. The scene is constantly evolving. For example, I know you can now (recently) place CFW on newer PS3 models (those previously not possible). PS3 mod scene isn't my thing.... yet ... :lol:

Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Just to say, the compatibility of PCSX2 will beat out the compatibility of a CFW PS3. IMO, PS3 really isn't worth putting CFW on.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP