Choosing a PS2 Model?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
marurun

Re: Choosing a PS2 Model?

Post by marurun »

Can't you tell the PS2 to output interlaced instead of progressive?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

marurun wrote:Can't you tell the PS2 to output interlaced instead of progressive?

With a stock console, the output resolution is determined by the game and not the console. If you soft mod with FMCB, I believe you can force other output modes.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Ziggy587 wrote:
marurun wrote:Can't you tell the PS2 to output interlaced instead of progressive?

With a stock console, the output resolution is determined by the game and not the console. If you soft mod with FMCB, I believe you can force other output modes.

I'll have to check that out.. i have a free mcboot memory card, i just removed it because nothing is on the hdd. i did have the card inserted the first go around with that 240p game and got the same result, got the normal startup but after booting the disc went straight to a "no signal" message on my tv. so i'll check out the settings on the softmod menu.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I know with OPL and GSM you can force 480p and HD for games that don't support it natively. Latest build of OPL has this built into it.

I can confirm FMCB will allow you to go into the menu and change res. This is how I found out my NTSC set supports PAL 576i... but not sure if that just goes away once you boot a game. Meaning, not sure if it a menu setting only.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

But will that only work booting the iso or will it force the actual disk also?
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I don't know much about modding a PS2, but I do know one advantage of the slim PS2 that no one has mentioned yet.

My slim PS2 has an infrared port built right in. Sony released an official DVD remote for the slim PS2, but I don't use that. I use a Logitech harmony to control my PS2 and all my other multimedia gear. It's nice to be able to use the same remote for everything. I wish my PS3 had an IR port too.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

this thread reminded me - I found some boxes of old gaming stuff I forgot I even had. In one of them was a fatty PS2 that also had an HDD/network adapter installed in it. I'm pretty sure that same box had a Swap Magic disc and possibly a Free MCBoot card in there. Maybe. Anyway, just mentioning in case anyone had been looking for any of this stuff. I've got to go through these boxes at some point and get an actual BST thread up and running again.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

Sarge wrote:I was wondering about the PS1 games, myself. I know there are a few that don't work right on any model PS2, but I wasn't aware that there was an issue with Slims vs. the originals.

EDIT: Found this on CAG for PS1 games.

These games are incompatible with all models of PlayStation 2.

Tomba

Holy fucking shit! I never knew that Tomba didn't work on PS2s! Many years back I had a disc in my collection which I could never get to work. I had it resurfaced, tried in multiple ps2's and it would never play. I'd try all sorts of things trying to get it to play to no avail. Finally I lost hope and lost track of it my collection and since replaced with another disc only copy. I am 100% confident that my only issue was not playing it on original hardwre. :evil: :evil: :evil:
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Jagosaurus wrote:I know with OPL and GSM you can force 480p and HD for games that don't support it natively. Latest build of OPL has this built into it.

I can confirm FMCB will allow you to go into the menu and change res. This is how I found out my NTSC set supports PAL 576i... but not sure if that just goes away once you boot a game. Meaning, not sure if it a menu setting only.

After playing around with this, if it would work it would only be ripped games and after trying different video modes in OPL's settings, it won't even play an iso I put on the hdd of disgaea. So component to hdmI convertor I shall order and try next. Displays the cd ps2 games fine but not this one freaking game I want to play, of course
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

stickem wrote:But will that only work booting the iso or will it force the actual disk also?

I imagine it's for menus only. I'd be surprised if it just forced to that output overall. GSM is a pretty complicated beast and was just added to OPL recently.

So your set doesn't have a standard composite input? My LCD TVs also don't accept 240 over component. I have to keep a PS composite cable around and swap as needed unfortunately when I play a PS1 game or 240 PS2 title.

A scaler would obviously fix this. Keep in mind some titles switch resolutions within game... menus/maps/inventory in 480i and game play in 240p. This can make for a sub par experience with a scaler. Chrono Cross is a notable example.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5