Choosing a PS2 Model?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
stickem
Next-Gen

Re: Choosing a PS2 Model?

Post by stickem »

Nope, no composite inputs but can get away with using the green component input for composite. I'll just get a scaler. I was going to try out the ps2 hdmi adapter but had mixed reviews.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

stickem wrote:Nope, no composite inputs but can get away with using the green component input for composite. I'll just get a scaler. I was going to try out the ps2 hdmi adapter but had mixed reviews.

Gotcha. Yeah, my cable swapping isn't optimal at all. What scaler did you go with?

Yeah, those cheapo PS2 to HDMI adapter does exact as advertised, direct to HDMI, no bells or whistles. Unfortunately many TV sets don't know what 240p (or even 480i/p in some cases) are over HDMI. If your set doesn't know what 240 is over component, likely wouldn't over HDMI either. I have about exceptions to this though.

My 3 Vizios also automatically toggle HDMI to 16:9 with no option to force to 4:3 (although the 4:3 or 16:9 option is there for component, even in HD res). I personally need to use a device/scaler to force 4:3 over HDMI so I'd need a XRGB, OSSC, or scaler with similar menus and options where I can toggle aspect ratio options.

Those points above are what most casual buyers don't understand going into those type cheap HDMI devices so hence the polar reviews, often solely depending on the TV.

Worth noting from what I've seen, the image is usually softened as well regarding contrast.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

My tvs force 4:3 in hdmI so at least I'm good there. I'm just going to order this one, linked in metaljesus ps2 video https://www.amazon.com/Component-Conver ... beaf55c81f

Those frameister's and other good one, do you need switchboxes for multiple inputs?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

stickem wrote:Bought some component cables and picked up a fat and slim and about 30 games. First one I wanted to try was disgaea. Well after about 2 hours of screwing with both models and component cables (getting the no signal message) and composite cables, I learned of course the game I wanted to play was 240p and didn't work with component, well at least the component input on the tv wont work with 240p. Will a component to hdmI convertor work with the 240p stuff?

Nope, no composite inputs but can get away with using the green component input for composite. I'll just get a scaler. I was going to try out the ps2 hdmi adapter but had mixed reviews.

All my games run just fine with Component hookup to my HD CRT. The console defaults to 480i (or 240p) and will only go to 480p if game supports and two button combo depressed during bootup.

Do other PS2 games work thru component three inputs or composite thru green jack?
Maybe your TV is auto detecting the three component cables auto switching to 480p instead of 480i or setting the TV Menu input to composite? Is there a designated composite jack or does your TV manual specify the component jacks are a shared composite? Try manual setting the TV Menu input to the component input; see if it has 480i option.

Disgaea not listed in the link, a standard 480i/240p signal.

List of PS2 games with alternate video modes - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... play_modes
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Nippon Ichi software tended to do their stuff in 240p along with mega man collections, and that's just not going to work in component on my led hdtv. Should work on hdmi though. I've googled the game and component cables and it's just a thing with a few ps2 games and these cables. I'm sure PS1 games won't work either.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Cool, report back if that one works with 240 games. Interested to hear. I imagine it'll see them as 480i and work. The XRGB and OSSC are actually expecting that resolution (their specialty) but it comes at a price :/

Yeah, most users have a SCART switcher for RGB which can get pricey as well... you can also go down sync, composite sync, & sync stripper rabbit hole with those. It's a slippery slope...

For component, the XRGB actually used D terminal which is the JPN equivalent so you need an adapter.

Also, regarding the PS2 Slim IR comment earlier: They sold an official IR adapter for the phat. Pops in controller port 2 IIRC. Mine broke though so now my IR remote only works on my slim. +1 for slim there, agree.

stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Jagosaurus wrote:Cool, report back if that one works with 240 games. Interested to hear. I imagine it'll see them as 480i and work. The XRGB and OSSC are actually expecting that resolution (their specialty) but it comes at a price :/

Yeah, most users have a SCART switcher for RGB which can get pricey as well... you can also go down sync, composite sync, & sync stripper rabbit hole with those. It's a slippery slope...

For component, the XRGB actually used D terminal which is the JPN equivalent so you need an adapter.

Also, regarding the PS2 Slim IR comment earlier: They sold an official IR adapter for the phat. Pops in controller port 2 IIRC. Mine broke though so now my IR remote only works on my slim. +1 for slim there, agree.

Convertor didn't work on the 240p or PS1 games. You could probably get around it composite or svideo to hdmi, but you're not going to get a signal through component with anything I'm afraid.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

BTW, HD Retrovision is coming out with their PS2 adapter for their Genesis Component cables soon.
One of these days I'm hoping to buy a modded, region-free PS2.... I think I may end up buying as many imports as domestic releases (shmups....)
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Well crap. Was hoping it worked out for you. Does your TV at least accept 480 over HDMI so it's not a paperweight?

racketboy wrote:BTW, HD Retrovision is coming out with their PS2 adapter for their Genesis Component cables soon.
One of these days I'm hoping to buy a modded, region-free PS2.... I think I may end up buying as many imports as domestic releases (shmups....)

Am I missing something :? ... PS2 component cables are everywhere. Seems their adapter would likely cost more than the cables currently on the market.

stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Yep 480 works great, it's just the 240p format. I also have a vga input on this tv but of course it won't except my dreamcast and vga box (or an older computer I had). Luckily a vga to hdmi convertor worked for that. Why have older style inputs if the dam tv wont except older resolutions that worked with those inputs?