Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
SpaceBooger

Re: Choosing a PS2 Model?

by SpaceBooger Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:49 pm

I have a PS2 slim and fat. I used to use the slim and swapmagic.. but now I use the phat exclusively and only use retail games. Either my slim was finicky or I wore out the laser playing backups. I am interested in installing an HD to my phat since I saw there were SATA network adapters for sale.
What is the best way in 2017 to add and put games on a HD for the PS2?
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Pocket & Advance SP) Genesis (SCD, 32X, Nomad), SNES,
Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3 and WiiU.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:04 pm

SpaceBooger wrote:What is the best way in 2017 to add and put games on a HD for the PS2?

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=50574

My preferred method is to network transfer games from a PC to the PS2 HDD. It can be a little finicky to set up, but once it's set you're good to go. If you connect the PS2 HDD directly to a PC, dumping games on it is cake. There's just the annoyance of having to swap the HDD in and out of a PS2 and PC.

It's a good idea to set up the HDD initially on the PC side and dump your go-to games with the HDD connected directly to a PC. The transfer speed is much better this way versus network transfer. After this point, you'll likely only transfer games to the HDD every so often, so the slower network transfer speed isn't as big of a deal (coupled with the fact that you wont have to deal with the annoyance of uninstalling / reinstalling the HDD).
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:20 pm

Nick, keep in mind a soft modded PS2 will allow you to play games from other regions right off the HDD or USB. There's some solid JPN exclusives.

I use a Phat for loading PS2 retail ISOs off the internal HDD (including imports).

I use a Slim for all disc based games. The system has less wear on it. No ejecting tray to worry about.

You can also USB load PS1 game ISOs on either model via POPS & FMBC.

If you have no interest in mods, iso loading, or imports... go Slim.
Return to Sony and Microsoft