XBOX BC - Xbox One backwards compatible collecting guide WIP

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: XBOX BC - Xbox One backwards compatible collecting guide

Post by noiseredux »

Stark wrote:Noise, Jade Empire is great! Do you like those types of games, it's very "of that era" like KOTOR and other Bioware titles of the time.

I don't really know. I tried playing KOTOR back when we did it for TR and kept hitting a nasty bug early on that wouldn't let me advance the story. It was really annoying and I just never bothered again after that. This was the GOG version I believe? It was on PC anyway.

To my knowledge the earliest Bioware games I've played are Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I had a bug that prevented me from progressing in KoTOR2, but not the first one.

Still, Jade Empire is quite enjoyable if you like Bioware's general model. It just uses a brawler/rock-paper-scissors type approach to combat with only one party member at a time (who you will probably just want off to the side meditating anyway).

Objectively, it's a less-exciting entry for BC since there's a PC version, but still, it's an excellent console exclusive.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

well if those OG XBox games weren't enough for you, Sonic Generations is also BC now too!
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

So happy about panzer dragoon. I don’t have my old Xbox hooked up and that’s one of my all time favorites.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm still slowly working on making this guide, but for now it's kind of an in-flux mess.

At any rate, Zone Of Enders and Rumble Roses XX are both now BC.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I've not had time to actually keep up with this, but yooo Final Fantasy XIII TRILOGY is headed to bc-land!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

noiseredux wrote:I've not had time to actually keep up with this, but yooo Final Fantasy XIII TRILOGY is headed to bc-land!

Wow... look what they did it. Saying it looks like a remaster. Went from 15GB to 30GB. Interesting...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurna ... atibility/

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Jagosaurus wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I've not had time to actually keep up with this, but yooo Final Fantasy XIII TRILOGY is headed to bc-land!

Wow... look what they did it. Saying it looks like a remaster. Went from 15GB to 30GB. Interesting...

Unless I am wrong the increase in file size is due to the FMV's using the uncompressed 1080P versions found in the PC release. No textures / models were remastered, etc.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

I’m not sure if it’ll help but the guide I have in my signature might be of some use on your quest to catalogue games as some 360 releases had DLC on separate discs or were incorporated into the main game. Generally these were re-releases such as game of the year and such.

So if your seeking something out like Borderlands series for example, you have to contend with multiple releases. Finding the most complete version is obviously beneficial.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

emwearz wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:

Unless I am wrong the increase in file size is due to the FMV's using the uncompressed 1080P versions found in the PC release. No textures / models were remastered, etc.

Sure & true, I imagine the FMVs did take up large chuck of that:
The three-plus hours of full motion video in FF13 was compressed with very poor results when the game was ported from the PS3 to the 360.

But my comment was more aimed at:
For the first time, a backward compatibility title enhanced for the XBox One X, Final Fantasy XIII, has assets that were not in the original Xbox 360 release.

Buttttt looks like that was more directed at swapping the FMVs vs in-game assets:
Increasing resolution using this three-by-three technique is all Xbox did to enhance 360 games for the One X. The game’s code was untouched. That changed with FF13 . [Followed by FMV talk above]

I was thinking the resolution trick took some overhead also but sounds like it's the same "trick" used for all XB1 enhanced games. Consider me now better educated on the subject 8) but still a cool development. Excited to see more of this.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5