Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Final Fantasy PS1 games and re-releases

by Tanooki Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:17 pm

I got to thinking seriously recently about buying Final Fantasy 9 again as I have not experienced it in over a decade and loved that game. I know I can nail down an original release of that locally if it doesn't sell off first for around $10. The thing is, while I could use it on my PSOne with that LCD, there's also those re-releases like that recent drop on Android.

As I understand it they did some reworking of the game, movies I would imagine and more, but would it be worth it just to have that on a tablet over the original hardware or are most the tweaks more about preference and comfort more than something of benefit?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Final Fantasy PS1 games and re-releases

by Xeogred Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:32 pm

I haven't really gotten a good grasp on the differences myself either. FF7 and FF8 oddly enough had PC releases back in the day, so they maybe worked with that source but I'm not sure. Stupidly enough I see on Steam for the FF7 release that it still has the midi music, so you have to download the superior music files elsewhere or something. I think beyond that the Steam version is the same as the newer PS4 version, maybe the resolution is a little sharper? No idea. I know it has a fast forward feature now though, I think that's in all these newer releases... but don't quote that on me.

FF8 and FF9 I have no idea on. I just know I've seen that FF9 does look like it gets a resolution bump.

Why FF8 and FF9's slightly updated new ported releases aren't on the PS4 too, is beyond me... unless they are and I just somehow never heard about it? I have this weird thing where I don't think I can bring myself to play an FF on PC, but if all three new ports were on the PS4 I'd check them out.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:08 am

If they aren't yet they will be. Sony leaked or got ratted out of their next massive firmware update on PS4 and one of the if not the biggest info drop on that is PS1 emulation. Not like that couldn't have been done years ago (fools.) So given Square-Enix history they'll be milking that cow hardcore once the doors are open.

FF7 on Steam if it is using MIDI it very well could be that old PC version. They composed special MIDIs for the game in the 90s and what they did was licensed a full copy of the Yamaha Sound Synth for windows which could use small to really huge sound font library packages. The default one it ran with was like 2MB I think and sounded more or less like the PS1, but on the disc hiding for those with the RAM you had up to a 8MB version. I'd load that and it was superior entirely to the old audio on the PS1 and it really audio wise brought the game alive and to a whole other level.

The actual name of the program was synthesizer S-YXG70, and nearly every single of the 100 pieces of little music clips to full blown tracks were redone by Yamaha themselves to really bring it alive and show off their program. Youtube has some examples I know, just not sure what sized sound font people went with.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:54 am

Got any youtube links then for FF7 music differences? Definitely curious.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:43 am

All of the FF games were released on PS3 on disc in Japan as a collection but good luck finding that..it's rare and insanely expensive.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:24 am

Xeogred wrote:Got any youtube links then for FF7 music differences? Definitely curious.

Yup I went digging when I wrote that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv0X0DYBxbg

That's the battle theme

The guy actually has a heap of the tracks from the game run through the included Yahama program. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0623D27AF2

I'm sad to see reading up into it, it doesn't appear you can use it anymore due to some programming problems as it can't stand duo (2 core and upwards) processors or 64bit OS's either which sucks. Only one did according to all this info here: http://erpman1.tripod.com/download.html And that would be the FF7 version (S-YXG50 VST version) which I didn't find late last night googling but it has to be out there somewhere.

This maybe it from another poke I gave at it right now: http://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=47840
marurun

by marurun Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:40 am

According to some comments on the Steam Community discussion board for FF VII, it uses PSX-style tracks rather than the original MIDI files. That said, properly done MIDI with a good soundfont would potentially sound a lot better than the original PSX tunes, which were a little simplistic in terms of instrument samples.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
marurun

by marurun Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:53 am

Also, some folks have been busy patching bugs on the Steam version and making other improvements.

http://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=14914.0
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:20 am

Tanooki, that's pretty cool. I think you linked the wrong one and not "Fighting" for the battle theme... to which I honestly don't like as much as the PSX version. Some of the instruments seem drowned in this version. Still pretty neat though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvG18wDv4uc

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvG18wDv4uc
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:25 am

Holy crap I did more work and I got it. I dug and found a way to entirely bypass MS being jerks and removing the MIDI mapper/config setup entirely.

I just grabbed a few files and plugged away at it and got myself setup so I can run the Yamaha XG soundsynth/fonts once more. Damn I forgot how good this sounded.

The old soundfont Timbres of Heaven still recently has been updated by the guy who started it like 20 years ago, even created (after I figured it out I found this) a good step by step way to get it going for people too.

http://midkar.com/soundfonts/coolsoft.html

You'll need the CoolSoft MIDI Mapper (I can't get 1.0rc1 from 2016 locked behind a forum wall, but got the last one before 0.9b4 and it's the same). You'll need the CoolSoft Virtual MIDI Synth 2.01(current) as well. Also needed is the VSTmididrv.exe which you can get here: http://veg.by/en/projects/syxg50/ along with the link to the needed yamaha_syxg50_vsti.7z file too. That 'midkar' link has the soundfont and some pictured steps to follow but the jist of it is below...

It's solid, just need to basically get the VST Midi driver in there installed first, then take the 7zip file with the yamaha in it and store it in safe (keeper) directory. In there stuff that huge (245MB) sound font as well. Then just run the CoolSoft MIDI Mapper first, then their Synthesizer second. That's it. Yamaha wicked sound synth totally restored. I'm jamming some FF music right now and these horrid little MIDIs from 30min ago sound like a full on recorded symphony on here now.

EDIT: I wouldn't let it go, I should be working...no lunch today. My google-fu was stronger than usual. Got lucky, found the original set of 4 Yamaha made soundfonts just for FF7 on that original Eidos/Squaresoft release from 1998 for PC (dude also left elsewhere in his root probably by accident access to the 4 ISOs for the old game too.) Running it now and it sounds just as I remember it entirely. Maybe I'm crazy but I think the pro stuff Yamaha made sounds better than the huge Timbres file, it's also louder/clearer a bit too. Anything that uses MIDI even old GOG windows or dos(like ult doom) or just old windows stuff (sim city 2000) will use this as it's system wide. What an improvement!
Return to Sony and Microsoft