Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Tanooki
Next-Gen

PSOne PC conversion

by Tanooki Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:42 pm

I tried googling this earlier after snapping up yet another RTS DOS classic I can't play anymore on PS1 and it got me wanting to see what else there is. Google just kept screwing the pooch pulling up stupid links to emulators, ISOs, and other warezy garbage and totally unrelated stuff.

Is there some list around or maybe one we can build of PC games that admirably (or even crappily) converted from PC to PS1?

I've got my hands on Dialbo, Warcraft 2 the Dark Saga and Command & Conquer along with Pro Pinball(aka the Web) too.

I know there's also Pro Pinball Big Race USA and Fantastic Journey too, not sure about Timeshock. I did see a C&C Red Alert conversion at the shop too I picked up C&C.
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Re: PSOne PC conversion

by JoeAwesome Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:59 am

Your problem is your terminology. "Conversions" nowadays are for converting software physically from one game to another. Try searching for "ports," and you might find a site like this.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:27 pm

Good point, had I been more lucid instead of tired at that point I'd probably have thought of that -- doh.

I should go digging some as certain games just don't work in 64bit windows that I believe had fair conversions to the PS1 format, and a few even used the mouse.

Might be worth poking around a bit more given your link there as I see Civilization 2 among others on that. Hell I didn't even note in that list of the few PS1 games I have that also DOOM was a PC port too. I think outside of R4, Blaster Master, Castlevania and Tomba all of them I have are.

Stole the list of everything from that link of yours and put it A-Z here from those few posts:

3D Lemmings
Actua series sports games
Area 51
Assault Rigs
Baldies
Bedlam
Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror
Carmageddon
Civilization II
Command and Conquer
Command and Conquer:Red Alert
Cyberia
Descent
Descent II
Diablo
Discworld
Discworld Noir
Duke Nukem series
Doom (which includes Doom 2)
Final Doom
Exhumed
Expendable
Fade to Black
Future Cop: L.A.P.D
Hexen
Grand Theft Auto
KISS Pinball
Little Big Adventure
MDK
MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat
Micro Machines
Myst
Need For Speed series
PGA Golf series
Pitfall (3D)
Populous
Pro Pinball (The Web), Big Race USA, Timeshock, Fantastic Journey
Quake II
Riven
Road Rash
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Romance of the Three Kingdoms VI
Sim City 2000
Speedball (2100)
Star Fighter
Star Wars Dark Forces
Star Wars Rebel Assault II
Syndicate Wars
Test Drive series
The Adventures of Lomax
The City of Lost Children
Theme Hospital
Theme Park
The X-Files
Time Commando (yes, I'm ashamed to own this game)
TOCA Touring Car Championship
Versailles
Warcraft II: The Dark Saga
Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat
Warhammer: Dark Omen
Warriors of Might and Magic
Warzone 2100
Worms
Worms Armageddon
Worms World Party
X-COM: UFO Defense
X-COM: Terror from the Deep
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:50 pm

I was also thinking you probably meant "ports" here haha.

Now I don't want to confuse you more here and can't even explain it very well myself, but it's neat when console versions get conversions to PC. Like there's a way to play the PSX version of Doom and Final Doom with the wads, and then some custom files people have made. A total conversion, or some could probably even call this a hack of sorts. This is how I want to check these games out sometime, since the controls would be better. I picked up PSX Doom awhile back and it's really neat because of the different looks... it has a stretched widescreen kind of look to it, lighting effects that weren't in the PC original, and completely new sound/music (same style as Doom 64). For better or worse, but I love when old versions of games have differences like this.

The Quake 2 port is pretty solid, but probably hard to go back to. Very low resolution, pre-dual analog stick normal controls, etc. That's how I grew up with it though!

Duke Nukem 3D PSX is pretty solid and not censored like the N64 game. It has weird re-arranged music though.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:56 pm

I think the first Broken Sword was on PS1 too, right? I saw you had listed the second game, but not the first.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:01 pm

Xeogred wrote:I was also thinking you probably meant "ports" here haha.

Now I don't want to confuse you more here and can't even explain it very well myself, but it's neat when console versions get conversions to PC. Like there's a way to play the PSX version of Doom and Final Doom with the wads, and then some custom files people have made. A total conversion, or some could probably even call this a hack of sorts. This is how I want to check these games out sometime, since the controls would be better.

Confusing, no. Agree yes!

Want a massive upgrade considering the dumb choice of making the game too dark on most TVs? DOOM64, which is not DOOM on N64, it's its own game and uses bits of the Doom Bible that never made it into the old PC game or its sequel.

There's DOOM EX which if you use the DOOM64 EX ROM it will jack all the graphics data and sounds from it, use it's own tool to make a Windows (and more) executable and you can play it that way on a modern PC with mouse/keys or gamepad if you like still.

Same person ended up later working with Nightdive Studio and doing the Turok 1 and Turok 2 conversions now on GOG as well as Strife. Turok was started as a public freebie but then went pay with that legit public release.
https://doom64ex.wordpress.com/
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:19 pm

I played Doom 64 Absolution years ago and EX when it released, those are a thing of beauty. 8)

Never even played Doom 64 on the actual N64 once. I love the game though and it easily could have gotten a PC release or been ported around in compilations I'm sure.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:12 am

Good to hear, and despite the fact I still hold onto it, don't bother. DOOM64 is so freaking dark most TVs can't even up the brightness slider far enough (even when the games internal one at max) to make out much detail at all. I have no idea what the hell they tested that game on, but it wasn't working right clearly. That was the only time I ever had to slide my TV brightness bar up in the least bit (let alone a lot) just so I could see moving targets and walls.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:20 pm

Would a PC ports for PS1 be a good guide to publish?

Maybe choosing the top 5 to 10 and doing little writeups and then just listing the rest with small notes?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:27 pm

I can't say on the whole given the list I dug up plus the others brought into it, but I'd swear up and down by both the Blizzard games Diablo and Warcraft 2. Diablo is spot on, in some ways better given the gamepad control. WC2 though maybe something later isn't as nice but the earlier stages I've touched so far are totally on par with the DOS/Win9X release of that classic. So for accuracy points they got it.

DOOM is pretty spot on excellent as well, was known as the best conversion off the PC back in its day so that's probably worth noting it (and as a side note but not it's own entry Final Doom as well. (D2 is included with DOOM.)

I might be off on this, but I seem to recall Descent, Civ 2(uses no mouse), and Railroad Tycoon 2 (does use mouse) are very accurate conversions that are noteworthy.

C&C has hit that system and I have it, it works and looks great against the DOS release but no mouse. Sequel Red Alert and it's add-on which got put out separately both do use the mouse and continue the tradition.

I really can't speak for the rest as I never was huge on the PS1 and only got into it in the PS2 era so I only owned a few dozen games but dabbled/researched far many others.
Return to Sony and Microsoft