Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
racketboy
Site Admin

Which PS1 Games Pushed the Hardware the Most?

by racketboy Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:37 am

I'm looking to revive and expand a series I did a while back and I could use the input of PS1 enthusiasts. I want to focus on the games that really maxed out the hardware of the console.

This could be graphics and sound, but would love to focus on those that used some programming tricks to really push the best output it can. These could also be games that really use all the RAM for loading massive levels, etc as well.

Games could be 2D or 3D as long as they are impressive.

Here's my list so far -- let me know what I'm missing, what I possibly should cut. Anything you want to rave about -- even about the games I mentioned -- feel free as it could help me write the piece.

Thanks!

Edit:

Ok so now between discussion here and some other research I've done, here's my really rough list.

What I need now: I need to narrow down the top 15 or 20 and try to prioritize the list best we can. I know not everyone is going to be familiar with them all, but if you can up-vote or down-vote the best to your ability I'd appreciate it.

If you think a game needs to get bumped up to the top 15, say so.
If you think one isn't as good as the ones below it, tell me to move it down.

Here's a Google Sheets link
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... iOXjV9S4DU
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Which PS1 Games Pushed the Hardware the Most?

by CRTGAMER Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:42 am

Vib Ribbon
Though an import and the graphics appear as minimal, unique platform game with levels custom built on the fly to any music CD inserted.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:42 pm

MGS, Chrono Cross, and FF9 came to mind right away. Guess they're already listed though.

I would say RE3 looks really impressive as well, pretty big difference compared to it and RE1.

I'd say Vagrant Story should be up there.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:57 pm

I definitely agree with Vib Ribbon. Also:

- Fear Effect
- Vagrant Story

But I see they're already honourable mentions.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:24 pm

Ah yeah, Fear Effect had some crazy engine stuff going on. Too bad those games have aged horrendously gameplay wise haha (this coming from someone who still loves the RE formula). I tried playing both 1-2 over the years recently and couldn't get into them.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:16 pm

Vagrant Story
Soul Reaver
Final Fantasy IX
Chrono Cross
Fear Effect
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:08 pm

Xeogred wrote:Ah yeah, Fear Effect had some crazy engine stuff going on. Too bad those games have aged horrendously gameplay wise haha (this coming from someone who still loves the RE formula). I tried playing both 1-2 over the years recently and couldn't get into them.

Yeah, the games looked amazing at the time and had some awesome production values for a game. I've actually never completed either, despite owning the first one for around a decade now :(
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:41 pm

Not sure it counts, but there are 3 amazing PC conversion of the best RTS games of the earlier/mid 90s. Command & Conquer, Diablo, and Warcraft 2 The Dark Saga.

Each of them takes those PC games and given they capped out at a pretty low resolution anyway and does them extreme justice on the PS1. Despite not having a mouse to use they covered the controls very well. Visuals and audio fall into play very well. Doesn't seem to get some problems (slow down, lag, etc) even with a heap of stuff going on screen and with all the AI driving it. In the case of Diablo, it's personal choice, but you can't beat not being stuck using a mouse.

Also as far as technical feats go, am I missing something or was R4 Ridge Racer Type 4 bonus Ridge Racer 1 disc in the second compartment and it has a bonus 60FPS mode for the old game making it very fluid.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:38 pm

Forgot all about R4. R4 is still pretty impressive for PS1.

Soul of the Samurai looked pretty good.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
Flake

by Flake Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:02 pm

Does pushing the software to its limits have to be something we use to exemplify only good games?

I think that Marvel vs Capcom: Clash of the Superheroes would be a great example of a game that max'd out the platform and had to be scaled down as a result. It's practically a technical marvel that they were able to get that game running on the PSX.

Also, I'd like to nominate Armored Core: Master of the Arena. That game had an incredible amount of intricacy to its level design and text maps, along with enemy AI and still loaded very quickly and even managed to save battle replays in their entirety.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Return to Sony and Microsoft