Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Explain PS4 beating Xbox One in market share

by isiolia Sun May 28, 2017 9:43 am

True, with the main difference likely being the resulting cost.
Omerta
Next-Gen

by Omerta Sun May 28, 2017 11:22 am

I also remember MS fumbling hard before launch. They tried to make physical game copies usable only by the original purchaser. There was an uproar about rentals and the resale market. All Sony had to do was say, "Yeah, we're not doing that" and they were light years ahead and never looked back. MS reversed their stance but the damage was done.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Sun May 28, 2017 11:57 am

That and MS saying you had to always be online were big blows. They walked that back pretty fast.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Sun May 28, 2017 12:13 pm

The Xbox One was initially marketed not as a video game console. It was a multimedia box. It was to replace your cable box and be your primary source for sports, movies, streaming, cable tv, the internet and pave the way for interactive tv with things like the rabbids tv show allowing kids to use Kinect and play games with the show.

They also emphasized the always online requirement and kept hinting at the idea that you couldn't share games or but used.

It wasn't about games for them at the start, it was about being the One box in your living room.

Later, they continued to miss the boat as Sony capitalized on this weak spot by scoring exclusives, timed exclusives and timed dlc exclusives to always remind you that the PlayStation 4 was the place to be. Even if the game was multiplatform, Sony made you feel like it was exclusive by showing it and advertising it.

In the current state, software is what is most important. Games like Halo, Gears of War and dead Rising didn't perform as well as hoped and are slipping in popularity. They just aren't the system seller they used to be.

To add insult to injury, the constant delays of games like Crackdown hasn't helped and even worse are the cancellation of numerous anticipated titles like Fable Legends and Scalebound.

The incentive to buy the system again takes a hit when titles can be put based and played on Windows 10. Why but the system when I can get it on my PC. While this idea may be a good one for Microsoft in terms of increasing their user base for their titles, it does not help their console sales.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sun May 28, 2017 1:19 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:The Xbox One was initially marketed not as a video game console. It was a multimedia box. It was to replace your cable box and be your primary source for sports, movies, streaming, cable tv, the internet and pave the way for interactive tv with things like the rabbids tv show allowing kids to use Kinect and play games with the show.

Granted, this has been Microsoft's primary reason for getting into the console game. Although, Bill Gates was also hoping he could run productivity software too ;)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun May 28, 2017 2:50 pm

If MS doesn't go all out this E3, Xbox is done.

Generally I'm the guy that buys for the games and always has all the systems. But at this rate, I have absolutely zero regrets in not getting and Xbox One and see no reason to at all by now. I'm sorry, but sequels to Halo, Gears, and Crackdown aren't going to reel me back. Not to mention Halo is terrible now anyways since 343 took over. Where there's one good game that maybe looks interesting like Sunset Overdrive or something... you've got like 5 PS4 exclusives instead. The Japanese market has also clearly finally given up on the Xbox's consistent failure over there and there were numerous PS3/PS4 only releases this gen even from third parties.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sun May 28, 2017 3:00 pm

It happened the second Microsoft dropped the ball and Sony capitalised in the best way possible, without needing to even try.

Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun May 28, 2017 3:53 pm

I enjoyed Sony's snark against MS at the start of this gen. It felt pretty 90's in a Sega vs Nintendo kind of way, haha.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Sun May 28, 2017 4:14 pm

TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS CALL OF DUTY DOG CALL OF DUTY DOG CALL OF DUTY DOG. Fuck people who can't always be online just play a 360. That reveal then shitting on potential customers. Used game policy. Sharing games policy. Saying they could not flip a switch and change all this...until Phil Spencer flipped a switch and changed all that. Early on XBO was not kind to indies at all. They closed down those TV studios. The hardware was less powerful than PS4 and still trickier to develop for than PS4. Adam Ore making a bigger PR disaster for MS as is.

PS4 was going to be 500 bucks but MS showing the price Sony changed it last minute. Sony had to do little at E3. Wii U was a mess and MS fumbled so badly..just as bad if not worse than Sony 2006. The used games video posted above IS VERY Nintendo vs SEGA in the 90s. PS4 also has Japanese support and good to indies. They had better hardware,better marketing. Capitalized on Nintendo's and MS mistakes. Fairly similar to PS1 days. One of the best things Sony did with PS4 was increase the CPU before launch. Have 8GB GDDR5 ram. The UI is clean and easy to use unlike the XBO clusterfuck. Share button. We had the ability to take screens and videos in consoles since the 8 bit era in limited ways but never so easy as a button press. It was a combo of Sony doings things mostly right and MS and Nintendo doing everything wrong again much like PS1 days.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Sun May 28, 2017 4:20 pm

Segata wrote:TV TV TV TV TV TV TV TV SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS CALL OF DUTY DOG CALL OF DUTY DOG CALL OF DUTY DOG. Fuck people who can't always be online just play a 360. That reveal then shitting on potential customers. Used game policy. Sharing games policy. Saying they could not flip a switch and change all this...until Phil Spencer flipped a switch and changed all that. Early on XBO was not kind to indies at all. They closed down those TV studios. The hardware was less powerful than PS4 and still trickier to develop for than PS4. Adam Ore making a bigger PR disaster for MS as is.

PS4 was going to be 500 bucks but MS showing the price Sony changed it last minute. Sony had to do little at E3. Wii U was a mess and MS fumbled so badly..just as bad if not worse than Sony 2006. The used games video posted above IS VERY Nintendo vs SEGA in the 90s. PS4 also has Japanese support and good to indies. They had better hardware,better marketing. Capitalized on Nintendo's and MS mistakes. Fairly similar to PS1 days. One of the best things Sony did with PS4 was increase the CPU before launch. Have 8GB GDDR5 ram. The UI is clean and easy to use unlike the XBO clusterfuck. Share button. We had the ability to take screens and videos in consoles since the 8 bit era in limited ways but never so easy as a button press. It was a combo of Sony doings things mostly right and MS and Nintendo doing everything wrong again much like PS1 days.

Breathe... It is just video games.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Return to Sony and Microsoft