Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
mas
Next-Gen

You got 50.00 and a PS3. What to buy first

by mas Sat May 27, 2017 9:56 pm

So I have been collecting the master system and playing retro for maybe 4-6 months straight. Taking time off on retro and dusted and cleaned up my PS3. Already got games to play for now, but seeing how low games are I think it's time to use my 50.00 gift card at GameStop. So with 50.00 what do you guys recommend. Love my fighting games, action arcade types and third person shooters and shmups
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: You got 50.00 and a PS3. What to buy first

by Xeogred Sat May 27, 2017 10:09 pm

I know that barely fits your criteria though.

For third person shooters I highly recommend the Dead Space series, Vanquish, and Binary Domain.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Sun May 28, 2017 12:11 am

Hm, well, I am assuming that you want to stretch that $50 as much as you can, so here are some $10 and under recommendations along the lines you mentioned. I'm also deliberately not looking at retro compilations.

Unfortunately, Gamestop's price on Demon's Souls used is still $20 :lol:

Dark Souls as well...but if you actually want to play that (or DS2), I'll be happy to send you my never-played PS3 copies. :lol: I love the games, but I play them on PC.

Anyway...

Vanquish
Second Xeogred's recommendation of this, which Gamestop currently lists for $9.99 used.

Binary Domain
Again, second the recommendation. This one is only $4.99.

Child of Eden
Basically a rail shooter that can make use of PS Move (or Kinect on 360), but doesn't have to. Gamestop lists the PS3 version for $4.99 used.

Uncharted 2
The first one is a bit rough, the third one is kind of more of the same (though not a bad thing per se). Uncharted 2 ranks as one of the best in the series, and all of the PS3 entries are merely $2.99 used, so grabbing at least one seems reasonable.
The Last of Us is also a nice pick at $7.99, but incorporates more stealth than maybe you want.

Blazblue Chrono Phantasma EXTEND
Or, really, any Blazblue game, but this is the latest one that still comes in at $9.99 used. Anime style fighter, which also tends to roll in a lot of story mode content and the like.
Persona 4 Arena is also $9.99 and a solid pick for that too.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
The Metal Gear collections are great too, but would eat up a bit of your credit for HD remasters. Rising, on the other hand, is merely $4.99, and is a Platinum Games hack and slash with mostly tenuous ties to the other Metal Gear games (other than technically starring the main character from most of MGS2).

Batman: Arkham Asylum
While it's more than just a brawler, Arkham Asylum heavily influenced many subsequent games incorporating melee combat. At $4.99, it's well worth trying out.

Diablo III
The Ultimate Evil version that rolls in the expansion pack is $20...but the original release is $9.99 and more than enough to see if you like the game. To me, the console version ends up a little similar to Gauntlet Legends - or at least adds a nice four player couch co-op title to your shelf.

Remember Me
Outside of the story and aesthetics, perhaps a bit dated in terms of overall design and playstyle - maybe hearkens back more to a PS2 era brawler (to be fair, it was in development for a long time). At $4.99, you can certainly do worse.

...and probably plenty more $10ish games that are good (Tomb Raider, Spec Ops the Line, Red Dead Redemption, Saints Row IV etc) but seem like they're drifting even further from what you said you were looking for. Anyway, hopefully that gives you some ideas.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sun May 28, 2017 6:33 am

I remember when I first got a PS3, I was quite late to the party, so I got loads of amazing games cheap and had a great time delving into the console's software.

So I got loads of games within the first week of getting it and the three games that gave the biggest impression on me, and somewhat surprisingly, were:

As a huge Sonic fan, Sonic Generations was awesome. I had enjoyed Colors, but this was the better and more polished game imo. I think this was the most fun I had had with a 3D Sonic game since Sonic Adventure. It was just so damn polished and fun and yeah, sure it was a game that relied heavily on nostalgia, and yeah the 3D modern stages were essentially 'boost to win', but my god what an adrenaline rush it all was.

Catherine is such an awesome and unique game and there really isn't anything else like it out there. I love the anime, adult-themed story sections that play out. The 'social' aspects in the bar are great and the main puzzle sections are really addictive and fun. I love how you can 'choose' how you want to play too.

Quantic Dreams and David Cage are the butt of a lot of jokes and the voice acting is supposed to be poor in this game, although I didn't really notice it (maybe because I'm not American), but I just loved this game. To me, this is what an interactive movie game should aspire to be. The story kept me on the edge of my seat and was so gripping. I loved how all the characters own stories interweaved through the main narrative.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Sun May 28, 2017 6:37 am

Do you have a Street Fighter 4 yet?
mas
Next-Gen

by mas Sun May 28, 2017 8:24 am

racketboy wrote:Do you have a Street Fighter 4 yet?

Yes Racketboy. Maybe I should help with the line up I have already.
Super street fighter 4
King of fighters 13
Ultimate marvel vs capcom 3
Transformers Devestation
Wwe 2k14
Street fighter x tekken
Motor storm
Injustice
Uncharted 2
Dragons crown
GTA 5
Mortal kombat
Lego batman 2 and 3
Mortal kombat vs D.C.
Soul calibur 4
Virtua fighter 5
Ratchet and clank
Wwe all stars
God of war collection
Wow didn't really think I had all these. I've beaten all the games I've had and played the fighters. Right now I'm on kof and mortal kombat.
I am interested in 3rd person shooters. How was red dead redemption and spec ops? Also any reason to get soul calibur 5 or tekken 6 or even kof 12?
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

by foxhound1022 Sun May 28, 2017 8:53 am

If you like God of War, Castlevania: LoS may be something to look into. Many people have compared it to GoW, and I believe it's $14.99.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Sun May 28, 2017 9:26 am

mas wrote:I am interested in 3rd person shooters. How was red dead redemption and spec ops?

I think both of those games are regarded better for their stories than for their gameplay. So, it'd depend on what you want.
Sano
Next-Gen

by Sano Sun May 28, 2017 6:29 pm

I would recommend the Dynasty Warriors series. If you're into running around kicking ass, its fun (at least it is to me). :mrgreen:
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Sun May 28, 2017 7:06 pm

Sano wrote:I would recommend the Dynasty Warriors series. If you're into running around kicking ass, its fun (at least it is to me). :mrgreen:

Yeah I don't have a ps3 but warriors games are always a solid bet for multiplayer and hack and slash action.
Return to Sony and Microsoft