Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Re: Games That Defined the Xbox - Add Your Contribution!

by Melek-Ric Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:37 am

Jagosaurus wrote:
Man, they were even early talks between Sega & MS about the oXbox playing DC games natively. That would've been crazy. That might be worth mentioning in the Sega port section.

It's a shame Sega and MS didn't add that capability to the OG Xbox. That would have been huge. A lot of people already see the console as the Dreamcast 2 although the Gamecube looks influenced by it to some degree as well.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
chuckster
32-bit

by chuckster Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:20 am

Melek-Ric wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:
Man, they were even early talks between Sega & MS about the oXbox playing DC games natively. That would've been crazy. That might be worth mentioning in the Sega port section.

It's a shame Sega and MS didn't add that capability to the OG Xbox. That would have been huge. A lot of people already see the console as the Dreamcast 2 although the Gamecube looks influenced by it to some degree as well.

I can see how this could have been bad for Microsoft, better to hit the ground running with a brand new and uniquely marketable system than to be tied to a system and company that was not only competition, but was even by that time showing signs of unease in the market.

It was better for MS to avoid that baggage I suppose, even if it would have been pretty awesome.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:01 am

I'm really glad they didn't. I'm happier with my tiny Dreamcast vs. that huge clunker.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:22 am

IIRC Microsoft was on board with backwards compatibility with Dreamcast. What killed it was that Sega said no when they found out Microsoft wasn't willing to use Xbox Live to support online play for Dreamcast games.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:18 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:IIRC Microsoft was on board with backwards compatibility with Dreamcast. What killed it was that Sega said no when they found out Microsoft wasn't willing to use Xbox Live to support online play for Dreamcast games.

From what I've read in the book "Opening The Xbox" http://amzn.to/2teZC4l
It didn't really come up too much. If it was discussed, it was a pretty minor point. They brought up the Windows CE connection, but Bill Gates even mocked how few Dreamcast games utilized that :lol:
marurun

by marurun Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:28 am

racketboy wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:IIRC Microsoft was on board with backwards compatibility with Dreamcast. What killed it was that Sega said no when they found out Microsoft wasn't willing to use Xbox Live to support online play for Dreamcast games.

From what I've read in the book "Opening The Xbox" http://amzn.to/2teZC4l
It didn't really come up too much. If it was discussed, it was a pretty minor point. They brought up the Windows CE connection, but Bill Gates even mocked how few Dreamcast games utilized that :lol:

Maybe if Windows CE had been better performing that wouldn't have been the case. Any game that used Windows CE had a lower performance cap. And it's not like it was so much easier to use than the Dreamcast's other dev tools. The Dreamcast was a very easy system to develop for already.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:07 pm

The final guide is now live just in time for our new site design:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/microsof ... osoft-xbox

Enjoy and feel free to comment!
Return to Sony and Microsoft