Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Re: Games The Defined The PS2 - Add Your Contribution!

by casterofdreams Fri May 19, 2017 10:47 am

MrPopo wrote:Persona 3 & 4 made the series huge in the West and debuted on the PS2

Do you think it's a good idea to add all of SMT on this list?
SMT Nocturn
SMT Digital Devil Saga 1&2
SMT Devil Summoner 1&2

Or does the group think thoses five games are more hidden gems?

I wanted to add Okami to the list of games that defined the PS2.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri May 19, 2017 10:51 am

I think all the ones you listed are far more in the hidden gems category. Especially Nocturne and DDS. The second Raido game came out after Persona 3 and so got some more attention for its sub-series, but as a whole it's still much more under the radar compared to Persona.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Fri May 19, 2017 11:04 am

Okage and Guitaro Man are some great hidden gems on PS2.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Fri May 19, 2017 11:06 am

MrPopo wrote:I think all the ones you listed are far more in the hidden gems category. Especially Nocturne and DDS. The second Raido game came out after Persona 3 and so got some more attention for its sub-series, but as a whole it's still much more under the radar compared to Persona.

I think what you said makes a lot of sense. Well when that article gets revised we can add those suckers in there!
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Fri May 19, 2017 11:17 am

I don't think that RPG listings need to get too granular since (arguably) the defining thing for the PS2 in that respect was that it had nearly all of the home console JRPG releases in that generation. As such, there'd be a ton of them to potentially list...but objectively, the Final Fantasy games are largely the ones that sold on par with a lot of the other games listed, along with DQVIII.

Most others objectively didn't sell well enough to really rank. I think Star Ocean Till the End of Time and Xenosaga Episode I were others that were Greatest Hits for instance, but most JRPGs - as good as many on the PS2 are - are objectively niche titles. The Persona games too, even if they stand out in retrospect.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri May 19, 2017 11:27 am

The only Persona that makes any sense going on this list would be Persona 4. It was the true gateway breaker for the series, and it did indeed debut on PS2.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri May 19, 2017 11:32 am

I'd say Persona 4 deserves to be on the list, but for a totally different reason.

Persona 4 is a big name game that released on PS2 in 2008 in Japan and the US and 2009 in Europe and Australia - 3 YEARS after the launch of XBox 360 and 2 years after the Playstation 2's own successor, the PS3.

It's pretty defining of the success of the console that it's lifespan continued with pretty decent support for some years after the point you might expect.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Fri May 19, 2017 11:42 am

Agree, and the late launch could be seen as a reason for lower numbers - the Vita port sold well, and there were spinoffs based on it on 7th gen consoles to boot.

Lifespan, I think, is better highlighted by the late release soccer games and support for online games though, since those stretched to 2014 and even 2016.
2008 era might be more interesting with stuff released on both PS2 and Wii. :lol:
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Fri May 19, 2017 11:42 am

alienjesus wrote:I'd say Persona 4 deserves to be on the list, but for a totally different reason.

Persona 4 is a big name game that released on PS2 in 2008 in Japan and the US and 2009 in Europe and Australia - 3 YEARS after the launch of XBox 360 and 2 years after the Playstation 2's own successor, the PS3.

It's pretty defining of the success of the console that it's lifespan continued with pretty decent support for some years after the point you might expect.

That is the best argument for the game. That it was one of the last and it was stellar. The last hoorah of the system.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
marurun

by marurun Fri May 19, 2017 11:46 am

If the game selected is just a stand-in for, "look how long the system lasted!" then you only need one.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to Sony and Microsoft