Games The Defined The PS2 - Add Your Contribution!

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Games The Defined The PS2 - Add Your Contribution!

Post by alienjesus »

marurun wrote:If the game selected is just a stand-in for, "look how long the system lasted!" then you only need one.

Might as well be Persona 4, a game which really built up hype for it's own franchise, was console exclusive until Vita, came super late and reviewed really well.

Plenty of systems got football games a few yerars after they died. Not many got 80 hour RPGs.
JGBtypeR

Post by JGBtypeR »

What about the Onimusha series? There was 4 PS2 games in the main series and a fighting game too.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

JGBtypeR wrote:What about the Onimusha series? There was 4 PS2 games in the main series and a fighting game too.

I mentioned it on a previous page and maybe mentioned before but indeed. People forget them now but they were pretty popular then.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

I'm not sure whether it's been mentioned, (don't think so?) but the God of War games were pretty huge for the PS2 library.

And it's definitely been mentioned before, but I'd reiterate that the PS2 was amazing for console exclusive 3D platformers. I'd say that outside of some Nintendo exclusives, PS2 had the best 3D platformers of its generation. Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, and yes even the Jak and Daxter series had its moments.
Speedy-Mcspeedz
16-bit

Post by Speedy-Mcspeedz »

nullPointer wrote:I'm not sure whether it's been mentioned, (don't think so?) but the God of War games were pretty huge for the PS2 library.

And it's definitely been mentioned before, but I'd reiterate that the PS2 was amazing for console exclusive 3D platformers. I'd say that outside of some Nintendo exclusives, PS2 had the best 3D platformers of its generation. Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, and yes even the Jak and Daxter series had its moments.

Jak and Daxter when it first dropped was thought of as the next Playstation mascot. I remember all of the extra merchandise and what not, tied to that series. Its funny to me that now we think of it as the 3rd or fourth best platformer for the ps2
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Perhaps something to add in the 101 article of the PS2 fat console is the 3rd party large hard drive option? Not as a promotion to copying games, but the hard drive full install convenience?

-----------------------------------

Maybe the Ape Escape series? I know the first one came out for the PS1, but the series have the unique screaming "look what else you can do with the right analog stick" aspect. This shouts out defining of the Playstation dual shock controller. The PS2 has quite a few Ape Escape followups including a few exclusive imports almost making for a story article all by itself. I have all of the PS1/PS2 series that I know of including the Japan McDonalds game.

If this is one of the game titles, I can contribute a bit on each of the series focusing on the unique imports. A bit of info in my Finds posts.

Ape Escape Pipo Saru 2001 - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=557543#p557543

PS2 Ape Escape Million Monkeys - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=720913#p720913

-----------------------------------

For Gran Turismo 4, the import special edition with included 200 page book is worth mentioning.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Segata wrote:
JGBtypeR wrote:What about the Onimusha series? There was 4 PS2 games in the main series and a fighting game too.

I mentioned it on a previous page and maybe mentioned before but indeed. People forget them now but they were pretty popular then.

Very. I think it's still one of the biggest selling Capcom series financially. Devil May Cry may have had a longer lasting impact, but I think Onimusha was kind of a bigger deal at the time and got a lot of coverage.
Speedy-Mcspeedz
16-bit

Post by Speedy-Mcspeedz »

little off topic, but did anybody else remember having freezing issues with Gran Turismo 4? I remember playing like two of my own copies and a friends copy and expierencing a lot of main menu freezing.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

We've talked about the lifespan a bit. Want to feel old get a grasp of where the PS2 sits...

When the PS2 released the NA NES was 15 years old. The last PS2 game came out 14 years later & the PS2 is now 17. Meaning the PS2 is now 13% older than the NES was when the PS2 launched :shock:

Saw a couple of brief mentions but the Ratchet & Clank should be on there. Sony just made a CGI movie based on this!

Also, surprised to only see Resident Evil 4 mentioned in comparison to Silent Hill. While RE4 started on the GCN, it reached new heights and a huge audience on PS2.

Here is a series I didn't see mentioned...
Yakuza
Yakuza 2

Also,
Odin Sphere
Gorgeous.. wow.

Smugglers Run
This game was amazing and at the very least, defined the PS2 lauch window for many.

This one might be a little too cult on the PS2... but the game itself isn't:
Deus Ex: The Conspiracy
Yes, The PS2 has a very nice Deus Ex port and it even has keyboard & mouse support. While it might not have sold gang busters, it showed the PS2 could push current PC titles while always facing that argument up against the oXbox.

Honorable Mentions:
.hack series... they created an offline MMO. As you guys stated, too many RPGS to list them all.

ATV Offroad Fury Series
Want to race offroad and jam some 2000s rock. Here's your game. The graphics and physics were top notch by the 4th title. We saw cross communication with this title and the PSP release (Fury Pro) such as vehicle trading & shared circuits. This was pretty big in the PSP circles. I don't remember many games doing this, but I didn't own a PSP at the time.

Cross Platform Games:
Beyond Good and Evil
Max Payne
The Godfather
Kill Switch
(Inspiration for Gears of War cover system!)
Blood Rayne

I remember those being huge on the PS2 in my group of friends.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Jagosaurus wrote: released the NA NES was 15 years old. The last PS2 game came out 14 years later & the PS2 is now 17. Meaning the PS2 is now 13% older than the NES was when the PS2 launched :shock:

Wow that's insane!