Berserk and the Band of Hawk

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Reprise
Next-Gen

Berserk and the Band of Hawk

Post by Reprise »

Any Berserk fans out there getting this game? I've been looking forward to it for months. Shit looks awesome! I've always wanted a decent Berserk game (Sword of the Berserk was ok for a 1999/2000 game, but was clunky as hell - as I'm sure many know).

Berserk + Dynasty Warriors is exactly what I have always wanted to see. I remember playing Hyrule Warriors and thinking what a great foundation it would make for the Berserk franchise. Reviews are a bit mixed/mediocre, but I always expect that with Dynasty Warriors type games as they tend to polarise.

Unfortunately my copy has been delayed, due to the online retailer I pre-ordered with emailing me this evening to inform me that to inform that because they "only received £XX for my item, they have been unable to ship". What happened is for some bizarre reason they didn't charge me the full amount (I checked my email from them and they charged me £30ish instead of £37ish - Why? I have no fucking idea and then they hold up my damn order because of their own fault. Anyways, instead of just charging me the outstanding amount and shipping the game, they pended processing my order and decided to email me this evening to inform me and asking if I want them to charge the outstanding amount and ship the game with a possible delay or just cancel the order, refunding me the amount I did pay, which is just great, but I digress. Hopefully I'll get the game by Saturday.

So anyways, in case I don't get the game by release day, feel free to post your thoughts if you do get it or if you've got the Japanese version that has been out for months/years.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Berserk and the Band of Hawk

Post by samsonlonghair »

My frothing need for this game increases.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Hmm so reviews seem to suggest it's not a great Dynasty Warriors clone (to be fair, I wasn't expecting Hyrule Warriors level quality anyways. It's not made by the same people). Hopefully there's still plenty of fun to be had. Western reviews have been harsher than the Eastern ones, unsurprisingly.

I hope ShopTo sort my order out today and ship the game. I can't believe my order got fucked up, I have never had that ever happen before online through a retailer.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Sorted and dispatched. Hopefully I'll still get it tomorrow and will post my thoughts then :)

Juan Aguacate
24-bit

Post by Juan Aguacate »

Reprise wrote:Hmm so reviews seem to suggest it's not a great Dynasty Warriors clone (to be fair, I wasn't expecting Hyrule Warriors level quality anyways. It's not made by the same people). Hopefully there's still plenty of fun to be had. Western reviews have been harsher than the Eastern ones, unsurprisingly.

There are better musou games than Hyrule Warriors so that doesn't actually bother me. If it had Dragon Quest Heroes levels of quality I'd be happy. I would have made a thread for this game but beat 'em up threads seem to get ignored around here so I'm happy to see some responses in this thread.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Juan Aguacate wrote:
Reprise wrote:Hmm so reviews seem to suggest it's not a great Dynasty Warriors clone (to be fair, I wasn't expecting Hyrule Warriors level quality anyways. It's not made by the same people). Hopefully there's still plenty of fun to be had. Western reviews have been harsher than the Eastern ones, unsurprisingly.

There are better musou games than Hyrule Warriors so that doesn't actually bother me. If it had Dragon Quest Heroes levels of quality I'd be happy. I would have made a thread for this game but beat 'em up threads seem to get ignored around here so I'm happy to see some responses in this thread.

I'm not an expert on musou games, I must admit. Anyway I got my copy of the game today and I've played the first few missions. It's fun as hell, but bound to get repetitive, as expected. I can't find anything to really criticise it with yet... Other than the camera takes some getting used to and isn't amazing.

IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

i adore berserk but never really found the appeal in this series/genre, personally. ill hold out & hope for the best!

and i know the DC game might not age well for all but man was it impressive in the day.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

The Musou games are TOTALLY about theme. Like, not quite 100%, but that's where a very large part of the appeal comes from. Some are naturally a bit different or better than others (for example, the Fist of the North Star one being far more linear and combat complex than the more strategic Hyrule or Dynasty ones), but they're all more or less the same thing. The combat isn't always the same level of satisfying, but that's gone up as the games have gotten newer (like Hyrule Warriors has some crazy satisfying combat).

I have happened to been a moderate to big fan of the themes of all the Musou games I've played so far (Chinese history, FotNS, LoZ), so maybe I'm a natural audience for these kinds of games. I haven't tried the Gundam one yet, but I don't think I need to know too much about big robot lore to enjoy destroying lots of robots with bigger robots :P
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

According to CAG next weeks bestbuy ad says they are bundling it with a $10 gift card starting 2/26. If you have GCU that would make it $47.99 + you would get a $10 credit to use later.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/361 ... all-games/

Honestly though I have a feeling this will tank similar to Arslan: The Warriors of Legend and be in the $15-30 range in a month or two.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:The Musou games are TOTALLY about theme. Like, not quite 100%, but that's where a very large part of the appeal comes from. Some are naturally a bit different or better than others (for example, the Fist of the North Star one being far more linear and combat complex than the more strategic Hyrule or Dynasty ones), but they're all more or less the same thing. The combat isn't always the same level of satisfying, but that's gone up as the games have gotten newer (like Hyrule Warriors has some crazy satisfying combat).

I have happened to been a moderate to big fan of the themes of all the Musou games I've played so far (Chinese history, FotNS, LoZ), so maybe I'm a natural audience for these kinds of games. I haven't tried the Gundam one yet, but I don't think I need to know too much about big robot lore to enjoy destroying lots of robots with bigger robots :P

So far, Berserk seems to be more linear and the combat, whilst satisfying, doesn't match the level that was in Hyrule, in my opinion. As a Berserk fan though, I do find it very enjoyable so far, even if it doesn't feel like as much love, time and effort was put into it as Hyrule.

The anime cutscenes are nice, but I don't like the art style as much as the original anime series. It's only a minor point though really. I wonder where they are from? Like are they newly created for the game, or are they taken from the films or the new series? I've only watched the original series and haven't had much interest in seeing the films or new series to be honest, hence why I don't know.