Questions about Xbox One

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Questions about Xbox One

Post by noiseredux »

Rare Replay, SOTN, controller I don't hate...
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

isiolia wrote:You can use disc based games. It just basically has to download the settings for the emulator per title, similar to what the 360 did for original X-Box.

That isn't quite accurate. When you put a backwards compatible game in an Xbox One, it downloads a full digital copy to the hard drive. You still have to have the disc in to play it though.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Xeogred wrote:Yeah, but why bother when there's another option that will also have 100 x more first party titles if you're ever curious? And just think, you could have been playing RE7 in PSVR right now...

but I wouldn't buy RE7 for a console when it's on PC and I can play with m/kb and have it look amazing. Nor would I buy a PSVR when I already have a Rift.

Just not sure I see the point. I'd rather build another PC.

Point for me is that with store credit I can pretty much get a box for free that will be a BR player and media box (allowing me to replace my Shield TV and make $ from that) PLUS as an added benefit, let me stream some Xbox One, 360 and XBLA games that are not on PC to my PC which is where I play all of my games anyway.

And in doing so I'd still use my preferred controller. And it seems possible that down the road we might see some Xbox One stuff work with Rift seeing as how there's an Xbox Oculus app that lets you play One games inside Rift... seems possible they could eventually build on that. Shrug.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

PCs that are $250 don't do everything an XB1 does, not by a long shot.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

bmoc wrote:That isn't quite accurate. When you put a backwards compatible game in an Xbox One, it downloads a full digital copy to the hard drive. You still have to have the disc in to play it though.

Ah, you're right. My mistake.

Depending on where you actually want to put the system, it might also just make sense to directly connect it to your monitor rather than use streaming. Alternatively, if most games you want are on 360...maybe just get one of those instead of worrying about what's on the supported list.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

we own a 360, but it's in my wife's office... that's been HER media player for a couple of years now :lol:

Regarding plugging into monitor vs. streaming: my monitor (Acer XB270HU) has but one input and it's a DisplayPort (I guess because of G-Sync).

I wouldn't say that most of the games I'm interested in are 360 ones, though. But I do like that digital ones I bought may already be available to me. But there's newer non-PC stuff that I'd be interested in.

Again, Madden is a huge one. And yeah there's 360 Maddens, but considering it hasn't graced PC since 2008, there's something kind of sweet about being able to fire up the newest/prettiest iteration and playing it within the Windows 10 environment.

Rare Replay is actually maybe even highest on my want list. IDGAF... Snake Rattle And Roll is a system seller, haha. But seriously there's so much good stuff on there.

I'm interested in Destiny - at this point I feel like "ok, I guess it's really not coming to PC any time soon then."

Anyway, another question: is the Xbox One region-free? Sub-question: Are there any import games that would make that question even matter?
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Seems like it's region free here is what google says.

Xbox One may be used in all countries, including the non-launched markets. In addition, Xbox One games are not region locked. Any Xbox One game purchased at retail can be used in any country on any Xbox One," said the company in a statement. That doesn't mean Xbox Live games will be region free, though.

Kind of doubt there are going to be any exclusives that got a release outside of the U.S. it's not exactly the most popular console in the east or really much of anywhere at this point.

After looking around a bit about the only things are some digital games got physical releases in europe and there are a few digital games that didn't make there way over here. Nothing to spectacular though if you aren't into collecting physical copies and variants.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Ah, yeah, lack of inputs would be a limitation (not that it's hard to find HDMI to Displayport adapters). I keep thinking you have the same monitor as I do, which does have an HDMI port as well...but I have the XB271HU not XB270HU.
Quality just isn't 100% there with streaming, that I've seen. Technically there are options that could still stream the 360 in for you though, like a Slingbox.

Rare Replay is a nice bundle, even if it can be annoying to launch some of the games. Others aren't only on Xbox :lol:

AFAIK, physical Xbox One games are region free, the digital marketplace is not. With how poorly the system has done outside of North America though, it's probably a much bigger deal for those importing games from the U.S. than anything else.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Others aren't only on Xbox :lol:

Oh, I know. It's just if I was making a list of Pros for Xbox One and PS4 then those games would appear on both lists. Y'know?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »