Questions about Xbox One

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Questions about Xbox One

Post by noiseredux »

I have some random Xbox One questions...

Is it a blu-ray player, or are they still using DVD's? Nevermind, I found out it is a BR player.

Do you need to pay for a Gold subscription or whatever if you want to use Netflix/etc apps on it? (It has Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, Youtube apps right?)

Can you stream backwards compatible Xbox 360 games or XBLA games to PC as well or just Xbox One games? I basically would want to play any games streamed to my PC which has a really nice monitor rather than my shitty game room TV.

If I bought XBLA games on 360, will they show up on an Xbox One if signed into that same acct?

Anything I need to know about different hardware models?
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Questions about Xbox One

Post by Stark »

noiseredux wrote:I have some random Xbox One questions...

Is it a blu-ray player, or are they still using DVD's? Nevermind, I found out it is a BR player.

Do you need to pay for a Gold subscription or whatever if you want to use Netflix/etc apps on it? (It has Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Video, Youtube apps right?)

Can you stream backwards compatible Xbox 360 games or XBLA games to PC as well or just Xbox One games? I basically would want to play any games streamed to my PC which has a really nice monitor rather than my shitty game room TV.

If I bought XBLA games on 360, will they show up on an Xbox One if signed into that same acct?

Anything I need to know about different hardware models?

Yes it is a Blu-ray player and they removed the requirement for Gold to use those apps. Yes, I'm fairly certain (I'll try tonight for ya) that you can stream backwards compat games to PC.
Yes XBLA games that have been added to Backwards Compat will show up as "can be installed."
Xbox One S has a slight edge in computing power so that it can do 4K/HDR, which translates to a slight improvement in some games and the way they run. They removed the Kinect port, so you would have to get an adapter if you wanted that.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Here's a list of Backwards Compatibility games to check:
https://majornelson.com/blog/xbox-one-b ... atibility/
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Phades
64-bit

Post by Phades »

No need for a Gold subscription to use Netflix and streaming apps.

You can use it to stream Xbox One and Xbox 360 games to a PC but it has to be running Windows 10.

Yes, the 360 games will just show up as available to download on your Xbox One but of course they'll have to be in the BC list. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/back ... patibility

The older/newer models are pretty dang similar although the Xbox One S has a very slight GPU boost which makes some games run just a tad better. The newer hardware also supports 4k and HDR which you probably don't care about.
XBL: Phades
PSN: Phades
Steam: Phades
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

hmm. So far it sounds like all the answers are the ones I wanted to hear.

I don't feel like the S would really be worth it. I don't have a 4K display, and strangely I might find a Kinect useful for voice/media controls. Hmm.

Being able to stream 360/XBLA games to PC is huge, though. That was kind of a deal-breaker question if the answer was no.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Honestly, controlling the Xbox through Kinect has gone down hill since they put in Cortana. I only use it when I can't find the remote and want to pause the TV show the kids are watching.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Big thing for the S with regard to 4k is that it's not just scaling games up, but it's also a 4k Ultra Blu-ray player. To me, that's a nice value-add, even if simply as a "just in case" thing.

The Kinect adapter basically just converts it to USB, and lets you use a Kinect on a PC as well (it does have an MSRP of $39.99 though, so it boosts the price of a Kinect by a fair bit).

That said, with how many Xbox One games are on PC, or should be coming to PC anyway, why would you go this route versus a PS4?
Not that the Xbox One isn't a nice piece of hardware, I do own one and all, and it's nicer than I expected.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

isiolia wrote:That said, with how many Xbox One games are on PC, or should be coming to PC anyway, why would you go this route versus a PS4?
Not that the Xbox One isn't a nice piece of hardware, I do own one and all, and it's nicer than I expected.

Well based on his questioning I would say he wants to play 360 games he missed out on that are not on PC, like Red Dead Redemption, one of the best games from last gen.
Phades
64-bit

Post by Phades »

Stark wrote:Honestly, controlling the Xbox through Kinect has gone down hill since they put in Cortana. I only use it when I can't find the remote and want to pause the TV show the kids are watching.

I agree with this. I have a kinect and didn't even bother to hook it up. That reminds me of another feature the S has, a built in IR blaster. That allows it to turn on/shut down your stuff along with the Xbox itself. A kinect will do the same thing, but it's nice not to need it.
XBL: Phades
PSN: Phades
Steam: Phades
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

isiolia wrote:That said, with how many Xbox One games are on PC, or should be coming to PC anyway, why would you go this route versus a PS4?

well, I like that it has the Play Anywhere thing. And I'm intrigued about the Xbox app on Oculus. And there's a fair amount of stuff (more on XBLA and 360) that I'd like to have access to. For instance I already own SOTN on XBLA. And when I think of recent console exclusives that I wished were on PC, things that came to mind were Rare Replay and Destiny - both of which were on Xbox. (So is Madden haha).

One thing I will say is I HATE the PS4 controller.
Last edited by noiseredux on Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.