Flash cart or hard drive solution for PS1/2???

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Flash cart or hard drive solution for PS1/2???

Post by jmbarnes101 »

I really enjoy flash carts and I love the CoinOps on my Xbox. Is there a solution for PS1 or PS2 that would do something similar for PS1 games?
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Flash cart or hard drive solution for PS1/2???

Post by noiseredux »

I don't know about PS1, but I've got a fat PS2 w/ HDD adapter if you end up needing one.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

s8n
128-bit

Post by s8n »

yes PSIO , i have one and it's great
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Popstarter app running on PS2 HDD will run PS1 games within OPL IIRC.

Check out the link in my signature for the thread on my recent PS2 HDD project.

From that thread, quote below. Note, this is one of the few outstanding line items from that project I have left to implement. Got distracted modding my oXbox :)

Jagosaurus wrote:Playing PS1 GAMES IN OPL
So I know we had pretty much written this off earlier in the thread. I think most just resort to burning games & ESR? ... but this video didn't make it look too bad. He is using USB but just a path change for HDD.

Popstarter Tutorial:

https://youtu.be/9DE13fLHxTg

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

yeah, ive chipped my PSX & use HDD loader for PS2, but ive been meaning to try free mcboot forever as well
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

IrishNinja wrote:yeah, ive chipped my PSX & use HDD loader for PS2, but ive been meaning to try free mcboot forever as well

I needed another PS2 mem card any way & an official Sony 8MB card with FMCB already loaded was only a couple bucks more on ebay.

Read the BIN description, it will likely come with ELF Loader (file manager & app launcher) & OPL preloaded on card.

I remember someone saying they were previously using HD Loader & when they switched to OPL, nothing was needed to reformat the drive, etc. OPL recognized the games already on the HDD from HD Loader ripping previously.

I'll report once I finally get motivated to try popstarter :)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I still prefer HDLoader for PS2. I have some images with a '*OPL' in their name (manually renamed through WinHIIP). I set my startup options to load OPL with a button combo. If I hold Up & Triangle on reboot, Open PS2 Loader starts and those 5 games will play without crashing. It's a minor inconvenience that OPL is more capable. HDLoader's menu is slick and clean and still plays nearly all games. Just gotta dual-boot to play a few games.
Rogue Galaxy? I would've loved it ~12 years ago, not so much now...

I still regularly use my Memor32. Having a USB compatible transfer protocol for PS1 saves through my PS2s is really important (it uses ZIP compression). Last time I modded it I made it capable of everything the latest FMCB install could do and dumped a bunch of emulator ELFs on. I think that the Memor32 is still a cleaner solution for hex editing save games than any of the dexdrive/gameshark solutions. Even the oldest patches are still completely compatible with anything listed on the old cheat sites given the right tools. I've used it to add zenny to a savegame on an unmodded PS1 on a 486 PC with a hex editor and a USB cable..
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage