PlayStation VR Thread

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: PlayStation VR Thread

Post by noiseredux »

so it's just like "standing still" though right? Or is it on rails? Either way, you don't control movement, just the shooting correct?

Valkyrie does look good, though.

It's tough though... there's a lot of space shooter sim things on VR right now. Between the EVE games and Elite Dangerous and House Of The Dying Sun...

Anyway, it's actually nice to see some of the pre-existing Rift/Vive stuff showing up on PSVR. My belief is that so early in the game, VR platform exclusives do nothing but hurt the whole thing. We def need developers seeing the benefit in putting their VR games on everyone's headsets to help make VR something that sticks around.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
noiseredux wrote:So Gunjack is good? I've considered getting it on Rift (it's like $10 there) but part of me worried that it was maybe too basic seeing as how it was originally a mobile VR game.

I mean, it's definitely a budget game, but it's a really good one IMO. You point your head to aim and blow up enemies with a kind of modernized Galaga feel.

Sounds like a good way to spend my day tomorrow.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Valkyrie is a full on flight combat sim. Gunjack is a fixed position blow-shit-up game with no movement aside from aiming (which is why it's only $8). If you've got an Oculus Rift or HTC Vive, I'm sure there are definitely better games out there. For PS VR owners, however, with an add-on less than a week old, those two are as good as it gets right now and EXTREMELY fun to boot.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm glad that a few of you picked this thing up, though. Even if we're playing on different platforms, it's nice to have others to talk about VR with more now. I think me and isiolio are the only ones w/ Rifts on here (well, SonicR has one as well but he doesn't post very often). The enthusiasm for PSVR here coupled with the hype it's gotten on various websites has had me playing with my Rift a lot more this week. House Of The Dying Sun has been blowing my mind. I feel like having certain games that you can play in or out of VR to compare/contrast is a good way to illustrate the immersion. HOTDS played as a standard PC game to me was like "oh yeah this is pretty cool," but at the same time felt like nothing all that new or unique. But then switching to VR it was as if all of my childhood daydreams about what VR could/would actually be like. I mean you are in the cockpit. It's a completely different feeling.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I'd like to get a Vive sometime in the next 12 or 14 months, but it's just too expensive for me now.

Anyone have experience with both the HTC Vive and Oculus Rift and can weigh in on which, if either, is the superior headset? I've seen arguments for both online.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I feel like Vive and Rift are getting closer and closer... Vive is $800 w/motion controllers, Rift is $600 and the motion controllers are $200. Rift can play Vive stuff. I'd imagine Vive can play Rift stuff?

At any rate, it mostly seems to me that people who have large spaces and want to be able to move around in a room are gravitating towards Vive, and those that are more interested in sitting down and playing games stationary are more interested in Rift. Maybe that's just my take on it?
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

noiseredux wrote:I feel like Vive and Rift are getting closer and closer... Vive is $800 w/motion controllers, Rift is $600 and the motion controllers are $200. Rift can play Vive stuff. I'd imagine Vive can play Rift stuff?

At any rate, it mostly seems to me that people who have large spaces and want to be able to move around in a room are gravitating towards Vive, and those that are more interested in sitting down and playing games stationary are more interested in Rift. Maybe that's just my take on it?

There's no technical reason that the Vive can't play Rift titles as the headset is similarly capable. By default though, Oculus Home doesn't really support anything but the Rift, so anything exclusive to that store does mean that Vive owners need to jump through [url=https://github.com/LibreVRa hoop or two[/url] in order to access it. Initially, Oculus started trying to combat that, but later backed off.

My general impression is that earlier projects on PC were Rift focused since the dev kits were kind of what there was to mess with for a while. More recently, more seem to be using SteamVR/OpenVR and readily supporting both headsets.

I think it'll be interesting to see what happens after Oculus gets their motion controllers out and starts offering additional sensors to enable room scale. It's really not something the hardware can't do, more something that Oculus didn't focus on including at launch.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I've been gravitating towards the Vive because of their partnership with Steam, but I really haven't looked into both in terms of comparison. Either way, that's a ways off for me; I'm going to want a 1080 Ti before I do any PC VR anyway.

8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

I'm in like Flynn. Yesterday I up a new PS VR and games from Best Buy after stopping by a pair of pawn shops to find an extra Move Controller and PS4 Camera. Here are a couple of quick first impressions.

Hardware
- Build quality, packaging and overall ease of use is definitely there.
- I have a massive head but it still fits well and is reasonably comfortable.
- Cables are long enough to have everything nice and tucked in the media center with only the main cable and breakout box running to the headset. The control unit matches nicely and sits comfortably on the PS4.
- Graphical fidelity leaves something to be desired, especially with text and menu's but in game during the action you won't notice it so much. Feels like Gen 1 and that's okay. Its a fine place to start.

Games
- Only got a limited play time with the PS VR Demo disc and Playroom.
- Eve Valkyrie - Awesome. Driveclub - Nauseating. Thumper - Wicked. Tumble - VR Game done right.
- Playroom - My favorite VR experience so far! Really great use of the tech with a lot of character. Loved it!

Value
- At nearly $600 all in so far, this is definitely not a cheap experience, however I am happy to in and supporting the new technology.
- Only time will tell how well it stays supported but hopefully it has a big enough holiday season to warrant strong support for 2017. If the games keep coming people will surely keep buying more units even after the initial wow factor wears off. If that happens hopefully we can get to a generation 2 and beyond.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I thought Driveclub was good and didn't have any problems with nausea or dizziness, but I can definitely see how, if any game gave people issues, it would be that one.