Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
dsheinem
Next-Gen

PlayStation VR Thread

by dsheinem Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:42 pm

So there was a little discussion of this in the Oculus thread, but I think that a spin-off thread would be worth having.

I picked one up yesterday at Gamestop after initially cancelling a pre-order and reading generally inconsistent reviews of the PSVR. I have now spent 3-4 hours with it and am very impressed. It is my first VR experience, and I know it has strengths and weaknesses compared to the competition, but thus far I am quite digging it. Playing it feels like I am living a lot of the realization of the "VR" ideas that were circulating in the early/mid 1990s!

Standout games so far (based on demos) are Rez Infinite, Thumper, Battlezone, Until Dawn: Rush of Blood, and Here They Lie. I also really liked Bound before playing the VR version and the VR upgrade makes it seem like a totally different game in many ways. (I hope this kind of upgrade happens for more games!) Driveclub VR and Job Simulator were both hits with the other folks in my house, and I'll share my impressions of those at some point too if people are interested.

I'm planning to try Eve: Gunjack and Catlateral Damage later today since both are pretty inexpensive on the PSN. I plan to buy Thumper soon, too. I will likely grab that physical edition of Rez Infinite in the next week or so.

Overall I am very impressed. Has anyone else picked one up? Thoughts? I'm happy to answer any questions people may have...
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: PlayStation VR Thread

by Reprise Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:43 pm

If you plan to pick up the physical copy of Rez Infinite, just be warned it's been delayed. You might not be too bothered, but just thought I'd warn you in case you weren't aware. It should be ready to be shipped sometime in November, they claim, but they haven't given a date.

As for the Playstation VR, I cancelled my pre-order (mostly down to wanting to save money at the moment). I'm still interested in picking one up at some point though. Maybe after Christmas. I'm interested to hear people's views here.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:51 pm

I still haven't even hopped on the PS4 train yet, let alone the PSVR train :lol:

Though really, there isn't a killer-app that I've seen for VR yet that's convinced me I HAVE to have it. So far it just seems neat, and that's it. I'm too scared of the PS4's apparently cruddy build quality to really throw down the cash for one anyway right now. I'll be interested to see what the lasting opinions of this are a month or two out, or if it's just more of a flash in the pan-type situation because this is the cheapest non-mobile VR available at the moment.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Unleaded Logic
128-bit

by Unleaded Logic Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:11 pm

I had no intention of getting one, but I got my hands on one and promptly ate my words on how I thought I wouldn't be impressed.

My review of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVpgZGXEN14
8bit
Next-Gen

by 8bit Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:23 pm

Unleaded Logic wrote:I had no intention of getting one, but I got my hands on one and promptly ate my words on how I thought I wouldn't be impressed.

My review of it here:

Great review! Really enjoyed hearing your unbiased but VR experienced point of view on the product and games. I am very interested in the PSVR so I think I'll have to take you advice and just go for it.

Which of the full priced games would you say are actually worth the full price purchase?
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:57 pm

Unleaded Logic wrote:I had no intention of getting one, but I got my hands on one and promptly ate my words on how I thought I wouldn't be impressed.

My review of it here:

enjoyed your review. Very level-headed.

You mentioned briefly - but I just want to drive home - that your Rift experience was with a dev kit. So it's not exactly what the consumer experience is like. This coming from a guy who bought an OSVR dev kit and sold it a couple months later in frustration. The Rift CV is much much easier to set up. Seriously... plug in, follow directions, play. So easy. And that's part of what I've loved about it. Setting up SteamVR stuff on it has been a breeze as well. I just don't anyone to think that the consumer Rift is more complicated than it is.

But that said, I think the PSVR is great (mostly*) for consumers. I'm hoping that it helps really push the VR market and that developers will start to work on more Rift/Vive stuff as well since PSVR seems to be doing pretty good and is rather accessible.

(*my only complaint now being that I feel like Sony is trying to get a lot of timed exclusives which I think is kind of lame and hinders the landscape when we need VR as a whole to take off.)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:13 pm

Giant Bomb has been having some issues with it a bit, some say there has been cases of potentially bad headsets or something though. Pretty strange. But I'm otherwise hearing pretty good things all around. Sounds like it's had the best launch lineup by far too. I'm still not really *that* interested in VR personally, but I'm glad to hear some positive things lately. I agree with some that PSVR maybe has potential to go the furthest with its install base and Sony's backing/first party support.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:30 am

I absolutely love mine. If you look at my past two Games Acquired posts, you'll see that I preordered a big stack of PS VR games. Rush of Blood and EVE: Valkyrie are definitely my favorites so far, although EVE: Gunjack is AWESOME and shouldn't be missed (especially with an $8 PS+ price tag). I just posted my review of EVE: Valkyrie and plan to write a review of the headset itself today or tomorrow.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:40 am

So Gunjack is good? I've considered getting it on Rift (it's like $10 there) but part of me worried that it was maybe too basic seeing as how it was originally a mobile VR game.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:57 am

noiseredux wrote:So Gunjack is good? I've considered getting it on Rift (it's like $10 there) but part of me worried that it was maybe too basic seeing as how it was originally a mobile VR game.

I mean, it's definitely a budget game, but it's a really good one IMO. You point your head to aim and blow up enemies with a kind of modernized Galaga feel.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Return to Sony and Microsoft