No Man's Sky Stories and Tips

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: No Man's Sky Stories and Tips

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Yall should have jumped on it when it was 50% off during the update window.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

I kept my copy from when it first came out haha. I put it aside to try again later, and looks like that may have been a good idea. I'll have to give it another go with these new updates.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I was a little perturbed at first since in an existing save you're thrown into the changes with no explanation and a (at least in my case) bugged out starship. I had no real interest in restarting again after doing so with Atlas Rising. After a bit of doing and getting my bearings straight I can say that yes, this is a totally new game, and for the better. I've played every update extensively and enjoyed it for what it was but now it's legitimately what was promised and perhaps even more since base building and vehicles and freighters and such were never part of the original plan.

Some great bonuses for me:

-The terrain generation is much better, planets actually look like what they represent from space as well. While you'll still undoubtedly come across some of the same things, planets are definitely more unique.
-Speaking of planets you can find denser forests, taller trees, different types of terrain across planets and finally life-sized oceans.
-Animals move in herds, have more animations and generally better AI (though it's still simple of course). Much like everything else in this update, it just feels more real now.
-Minor graphical improvements and changes. Though I actually liked the clean simplicity of the starships in earlier versions the new ship aesthetics are fine.
-New stations make the universe feel much more alive and completely undiscovered and abandoned systems make space feel less explored.
-Nanites are actually worth earning now with the new upgrade module system which I like way more than just having blueprints you have to hunt down.
-The multiplayer is exactly what I wanted it to be from the start. My girlfriend and I have been glued to the game over the last week.
-Exploring is actually very lucrative on its own now, you can easily earn all of your money and nanites through exploration alone which is great since it shifts the main focus of the game back to what it's supposed to be, exploring.
-The jet pack works way better.
-Third person view really lets you appreciate the scale of things.

Some gripes:

-Bugs, bugs, bugs. This game has always been buggy but it's currently at its worst. While I recommend people give it a shot I'm not sure I can recommend giving it a shot right this second. Several patches have already come out to fix some of the major problems but it still needs a lot of TLC. Especially multiplayer which sometimes is near unplayable. I spend more time going, "I guess this is a bug" than anything else.
-Lack of private multiplayer lobbies. This is fine for games where screwing with randoms is pretty much the point but No Man's Sky is not one of those games. For single player you can turn off network play however this should be an option from the opening menu because many new players are not aware they're online and get ambushed which is not an enjoyable experience for that new player.
-Multiplayer base building is pretty messed up at the moment.
-Did I mention there were bugs?

All in all this is the game most people were hoping for two years ago. Whether or not it's too little, too late will be up to the person playing it. Some aspects are still a little grindy though far less so than it used to be. People who hated the fundamentals of how the older versions worked might not have their minds changed by this one though I do think the improvements have mostly streamlined things. Multiplayer adds a completely new dynamic even though the bugs are more extreme when playing with someone else. If nothing else I'd say hold off for now and wait for a few more patches to roll out, though anyone who was disappointed by the original release might find it worth giving a shot now.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Gunstar why are we not playing together!?

To add to the commentary about the game, I found a new and very exciting way to play. The game has always had permadeath mode, where players are put in more extreme situations with all your life support and shield systems less effective, leaving you to fend for yourself as you attempt to reach the center of the galaxy (a very rare achievement). What is great is letting randoms come and go. I've found that trolls do not go into permadeath because of the effort it takes to stay alive, plus your initial weakened state. Instead, you get paired up with dedicated players and fans. Super friendly people with everyone working together to survive.

I saw so many people come and go, live and die in the blink of an eye, never to be heard from again. The survivors of the ordeal pouring one out for them. It is unlike any experience I've played so far and is defi Italy worth visiting if you want that extra level of challenge.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Ziggy587 wrote:So the initial release of the game really was just a demo at this point. :lol:

This update sounds awesome. I put in almost 50 hours to this game, about half of that on the initial release and the other half with the Atlas Rises update. I wanted to come back to it, and now this update gives me good a reason!

It's really insane how far this game has come! I haven't played it since around my last post which was in 2018. Since then, there has been many updates.

This page lists all of the updates, with the more major things in bullet points: https://www.thegamer.com/no-mans-sky-ev ... /#exo-mech

Funny how every news site and YT channel wanted to pick up on how horrible the game was at launch, yet not so many people are talking about how awesome the game has become.

Personally, I enjoyed the game at launch. I put about 25 hours into it back then. Then I put another 25 hours or so into the game around the Atlas Rises update. I just put another 10 hours into the game, with a fresh start after all of the updates. Not only is it still a lot of fun, but there's just SO much more to the game now.

Anyone else still playing this game?