Hyperdimension Neptunia Series Appreciation Thread

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Hyperdimension Neptunia Series Appreciation Thread

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I know that I'm probably the only person on this forum who truly loves this series, so I doubt anyone will actually post here other me, but I figured I'd start this thread anyway in hopes that some of you will see the light. I figured since their only non-PC releases are on Sony consoles (and even with the PC releases, they're always released on Sony hardware first), this would be a decent place for this thread.

LET'S GET NEP-NEPPING! Here's the ambrosia of threads to discuss, inquire about, and fan-girl over the almighty Nep-Nep series!

MAIN SERIES
Hyperdimension Neptunia (PS3)
Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2 (PS3)
Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory (PS3)
Megadimension Neptunia VII (PS4, PC)

MAIN SERIES REMAKES
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 (Vita, PC)
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2: Sisters Generation (Vita, PC)
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3: V Generation (Vita, PC)

SPIN-OFFS
Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection (Vita)
Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart (Vita, PC)
Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed (Vita, PC)
MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies (Vita)
Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls (Vita)

Also applicable for discussion here is the 13 episode anime or the manga series (which I really need to read given my obsession with the series). As our resident Nepspert, I'll be glad to answer any questions or give recommendations. :mrgreen:
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Hyperdimension Neptunia Series Appreciation Thread

Post by Exhuminator »

We're probably gonna be pretty lonely in here. :lol:

I've only spent significant time with one Nep game, which I'll get to in a minute. However, I am a big fan of the art style and character designs with these games. And I've bought a lot of them in good faith.

I originally both the PS3 trilogy, but sold those when the Vita remakes came out. So I own these:

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 (Vita)
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 2: Sisters Generation (Vita)
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 3: V Generation (Vita)
Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart (Vita)
Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed (Vita)

I plan to buy these:

MegaTagmension Blanc + Neptune VS Zombies (Vita)
Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls (Vita)
Hyperdimension Neptunia: Producing Perfection (Vita)

I own the anime (and OVAs) as well.

Now as for what I've actually played so far, despite spending all this money on cute anime vidja heroines, I've only put decent time into this:

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1 (Vita)

I had a like/dislike relationship with this game, that I went over in depth, when I whined about it in the Games NOT Beaten thread. However, I don't think it's a bad game at all. Rather, I was just not in the right mood for it. When I was playing it I had a lot of heavy things on my mind, which robbed me of the ability to enjoy such lighthearted fluff as this JRPG is. (It did manage to ignite a pudding fetish that's still going strong today though.) I plan to revisit this game, and the rest of the series, once my life is back in order enough that I can mentally appreciate such whimsical nonsense as Nep Nep provides.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Honestly I'm surprised you didn't start a thread sooner, Elken :lol:

I only have Hyperdevotion Noire (which I haven't played yet :|), but I have some interest in trying out the main series. Sounds like the kind of humour I might like anyway. Not sure if I would like the gameplay or not though, since I only remember people talking about the humour and lots of reading.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I want to like the games more than I do. The concept amuses me, I like the character designs, but the actual gameplay ended up feeling kind of sloggy. That said, I've beaten mk2 and am a third of the way through V; those are the only ones I've played. I do have Hyperdevotion because the gameplay shift seemed like something I'd enjoy.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I've been wanting to get into the series for a while, but I'm never sure where to start. Should I just get the originals? Should I bite the bullet and import the triple pack for 40+ bucks? Or should I ignore the originals and stick to the Vita remakes?

Also, is there any relationship/dating sim aspect to these? I only ask because that feature in the Persona games has always inhibited my enjoyment of them.

Also, is the Noire game like an Ace Attorney-style game? That would be siiick :I
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Ignore the originals and play the remakes. Hyperdevotion Noire is an SRPG (it's basically Fire Emblem but with Nep). The games all have "Lily Ranks" which are basically support/dating sim levels that boost stats and grant certain abilities depending on the lily rank between the two characters that you have paired. It also unlocks certain combo attacks they can perform.

If you're into more sim-geared stuff, try Producing Perfection. It's definitely the weakest of the series, but I had a lot of fun with it, and it's a relatively short game with a good bit of replay value if you're into different game paths. It was also my first injection of heroin foray into the Neptunia series.

Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

There are also the PC ports which are available on Steam. They go on sale pretty frequently they have Rebirth 1-3, Noire, and U.

http://store.steampowered.com/search/?s ... rdimension
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

I have them. But I haven't really played them.

I have the three on PS3 and I think I have one of the remakes on vita.

I do want to own the rest eventually.

But I do have a question on one of these games.

My friend bought the latest one with the zombies.

He hasn't opened it yet, I think.

He's not sure if its any good. Have any of you tried it?

I'll link him this page with your responses.

thanks.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I have the limited edition of the zambambo Nep, but I haven't played it yet. I'm planning to hook up the PS TV and play through it after I finish the new TMNT tonight. I can give you a quick yay or nay early next week.