Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Trying to round out my PS3 collection...

by ElkinFencer10 Wed May 18, 2016 7:47 am

TSTR wrote:the PS3 version of Bayonetta is supposedly crap vs. the 360 version fwiw

Disregard PS3; play Bayonetta on Wii U.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Wed May 18, 2016 9:39 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
TSTR wrote:the PS3 version of Bayonetta is supposedly crap vs. the 360 version fwiw

Disregard PS3; play Bayonetta on Wii U.

this is also valid, as it's the only way to play the sequel
Kidpanda
64-bit

by Kidpanda Wed May 18, 2016 7:16 pm

Bayonetta 1 is best experienced on the 360. PS3 version is super gimped, (I own the JP version and played it all the way through the second week it was out), and the Wii-U version is locked to 30 fps. I can't recommend it enough on 360. Sorry for the derail.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Wed May 18, 2016 8:43 pm

Kidpanda wrote:Bayonetta 1 is best experienced on the 360. PS3 version is super gimped, (I own the JP version and played it all the way through the second week it was out), and the Wii-U version is locked to 30 fps. I can't recommend it enough on 360. Sorry for the derail.

That runs counter to the Digital Foundry look at the Wii U version.
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

by TEKTORO Wed May 18, 2016 9:01 pm

Even people over at Platinum stated Bayonetta on PS3 was a poor port due to difficulty of developing for the system. However tough call but I actually prefer Bulletwitch but technically Bayonetta is the superior game.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Thu May 19, 2016 3:12 am

Bayonetta on the Wii U seemed just as good as the 360 version to me. I say get it on the Wii U, but I'm biased.

The PS3 version was a bad port, but I think some of the patches alleviated some of its issues eventually.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu May 19, 2016 8:47 am

The Wii U port of Bayonetta, from what I could tell, ran exactly like the 360 version. I'm not sure where you're getting that the 360 version is superior to the Wii U version. It fixed some screen tearing in cut scenes that the 360 version had, and the framerate was better and smoother than the 360 version. I'm really not sure where you're getting that it's locked at 30 fps because it definitely averages around 60.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Kidpanda
64-bit

by Kidpanda Thu May 19, 2016 3:26 pm

I stand corrected then, I have never put in the disc on the Wii-U for the first game as my buddy was complaining that it was running worse than the 360 version. But looking at vids it does in fact run the same and in some cases more steady than the 360 version. I'm curious as to why the Wii-U version doesn't have as much saturation? But on the flip side, getting on the 360 may be a cheaper option at this point. Either way, play the game, it's still one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Thu May 19, 2016 4:09 pm

Kidpanda wrote: I'm curious as to why the Wii-U version doesn't have as much saturation?

Because Microsoft.

The 360 (and, far as I know, XB1) has a wonky gamma curve instead of the standard 2.2 that most others default to. There's an explanation of it here.

It can (and usually does) adjust for it in the video output chip. The intended result seems to be netting a standard image akin to "torch mode" for display TVs. Dark blacks, saturation, contrast, etc...but detail winds up crushed out (thread regarding it on XB1 here). Meanwhile, on the same TV, the PS3/etc version of the same game can wind up looking washed out by comparison.
It could possibly go the other way too, if different setting are enabled...but the long and short is that the 360/XB1 have different gamma than others. Without deliberate developer compensation, games are likely to look darker/brighter, usually darker.
hashiriya1
Next-Gen

by hashiriya1 Tue May 24, 2016 3:37 am

Even though you didn't like it and it's a God of War clone I really liked Dante's Inferno. 60FPS looks beautiful and the way each layer of Hell is designed is really atmospheric.

Also, what about the Uncharted series? They're great and dirt cheap.
Return to Sony and Microsoft