PSP Question About PSN Store

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
marlowe221
Next-Gen

PSP Question About PSN Store

Post by marlowe221 »

I was thinking about picking up a used PSP.

Does the PSN store still work for PSP consoles in North America? Or would it be a better idea to make sure I get one with a UMD drive?

Thanks!
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: PSP Question About PSN Store

Post by Reprise »

I hear the PSN store no longer works on PSP.

*Quickly goes to google it*

Edit: Okay, looks like you can purchase and download games via the PS3? and transfer them to a PSP? But the store itself on the PSP was shut down? (don't know why I've done so many question marks!)

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... e-removed/
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I think you can buy things on your computer still and then transfer it, or something?

I'd just get one with a UMD drive either way. Lots of PSP games are pretty cheap physical.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

alienjesus wrote:I'd just get one with a UMD drive either way. Lots of PSP games are pretty cheap physical.

Definitely this.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

Reprise wrote:I hear the PSN store no longer works on PSP.

Edit: Okay, looks like you can purchase and download games via the PS3? and transfer them to a PSP? But the store itself on the PSP was shut down? (don't know why I've done so many question marks!)

Yep, I saw that article but it appeared to be about Europe/PAL so I wasn't sure about 'Murica.

So, what should I look for then, a 2000? A 3000?
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

marlowe221 wrote:
Reprise wrote:I hear the PSN store no longer works on PSP.

Yep, I saw that article but it appeared to be about Europe/PAL so I wasn't sure about 'Murica.

So, what should I look for then, a 2000? A 3000?

I've heard mixed stuff about the 3000 screen. Some say it's better, some say it's worse.

The 2000/3000 both have video output if that interests you. IIRC the 2000 can only output games over component, and the 3000 does component or composite.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

marlowe221 wrote:So, what should I look for then, a 2000? A 3000?

I have a 3000, and I soft-modded it myself so that I could play my PS1 on it. It is an amazing machine, and it is a fantastic way to play PS1 games on a portable system.
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

get a 3000
do it
ejamer
128-bit

Post by ejamer »

Are UMDs easy for your guys to find? They are often cheap, but I rarely see any locally so wonder how easy it is to find the games you'd want...

I still love my PSP Go. The tiny form factor is a perfect fit for what I want in a handheld. But the fear that digital content is just going to disappear sooner rather than later is very real. Getting a PSP 3000 and collecting discs would definitely be the safer option.

Tested access to PSN via my PSP Go and it could log in ok. Navigated to my purchase history and downloaded Vagrant Story. I'm located in Canada, so am assuming that this works for all of North America. It's easy to buy games via the website and download this way, so (at the moment) buying games digitally seems ok.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

I'd say go with the 3000 if your looking to pick up a unit.

Locally about the only places that carry PSP games anymore are Pawns and most of that is loose umds in kind of crappy shape. Gamestop still has some stock but most of it's overpriced and umd only in generic cases since the B2G1 sales they were doing forever moved most of the better quality stuff.

Best bet is to look around online. One of the best places is amazon. Here are a few deals that I posted up over in the Amazon/Amazon Warehouse thread over the past week or so.

Some of the prices may have changed and some things may no longer be in stock but you can get a pretty good idea of the prices based on this. Also these are the shipped prices if you are a prime member.

PSP
Hot Shots Golf Open Tee (N) $3.95
Aeon Flux: The Complete Animated Collection (2 Disc Set) (N) $3.99
Hot Shots Tennis: Get a Grip (N) $4.50
LocoRoco (N) $4.56
Pangya: Fantasy Golf (N) $4.99
PSP UMD Case (N) $5.84 These are pretty nice I bought a bunch of them for my loose PSP games a while back.
SANOXY® Dual MicroSD to MS PRO DUO Adapter (Black) (N) $6.00
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (N) $8.99

PSP
The Lord of the Rings: Tactics (A) $2.56

PSP
Ape Escape On The Loose (G) $3.52
Pursuit Force (G) $3.87 (VG) $4.11 (LN) $4.36
Ridge Racer (G) $3.78
Patapon (G) $3.80 (LN) $4.28
GripShift (G) $3.86
Secret Agent Clank (G) $4.03 (LN) $4.54
Wipeout Pure (G) $4.05 (LN) $4.55
Killzone: Liberation (PSP) (G) $4.06 (LN) $4.57
Crush (G) $4.21
Tokobot (G) $4.29 (LN) $4.82
Gunpey (LN) $4.96
Lord of Arcana (G) $5.59 (LN) $6.29
Valhalla Knights (G) $6.24 (LN) $7.02
Monster Hunter Freedom 2 (LN) $7.20

There is also the Square Enix anniverasary sale on their store alot of stuff is out of stock or on waiting lists currently but there are still some really solid deals like Tactics Ogre for $10, Final Fantasy Tactics $5, Crisis Core FFVII $5, and etc. Shipping is $8 regardless of your order size though so that kind of kills the deal unless you are buying a lot of stuff.

https://store.na.square-enix.com/annive ... l-products