PS1 unnecessary?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Spyke
64-bit

PS1 unnecessary?

Post by Spyke »

Hi all.

A question about Japanese PS1 and PS2 consoles. I have an original Japanese PS2 console and I have a modded PS1 original model which plays Japanese discs natively, and using a "swap disc" runs PAL software too (though not as reliably).

The PS2 console currently plays all my games fine, and of course outputs via component, rather than the PS1's SCART.

Question - do I need to keep the PS1 console or will all my Japanese PS1 gaming needs be catered for by my PS2 console?

I play shumps and 2D fighters pretty much exclusively.

TIA

Ant :)
Jp-modded PS1 - PAL PS2 - Jp PS2 - Jp Saturn - PAL Xbox 360 - Jp Xbox 360 - Jp MD - Multi-region DC - Spare DC - Pal GC - GBA - DS-Lite
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Re: PS1 unnecessary?

Post by CD AGES »

Not sure if it applies to JPN versions, but US Alpha 3 and Puzzle Fighter won't work on PS2. they crash on Loading Screen. MK Trilogy Also crashes on continue screen Zero count.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Save the wear and tear of the PS2 for just PS2 games. PS2 consoles when starting to wear out will first quit reading PS2 CD discs. This leads me to believe the optical reader perhaps has to work harder accessing CDs vs DVD game discs. You would think the DVDs would give the drive a bigger workout, but mostly its the CDs that fail to read first.

If you have an older grey parallel port PS1 model you can plug in "Instant Load" cheat carts, something that cannot be done on the PS1.

As for your PAL PS1 games since you already have a modded PS1, why not just convert the game discs to NTSC? Look in the Guides section, posted info there how to do it.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Me personally, I try to do all my PS1 gaming on my actual PS1. Occasionally, for convenience, I'll play PS1 games on my PS2 or PS3. Like CRT said, save the wear and tear on the PS2 for PS2 games.

But if you don't care about putting "extra miles" on the console, I can't see much of a reason in normal circumstances to keep a PS1 around if you have a PS2. A PS2 is an all around better PS1.

But if you're looking to get around region lockouts and whatnot, for PS1 games specifically, a PS1 console is just easier. You can install a mod chip in either to circumvent the region check (sounds like you might already have one in your PS1) but it's a real pain in the ass with the PS2. The PS2 mod chip is a 20-something wire install, depending on your soldering skills it's either a nightmare or at the very least a real pain in the ass. There's swap tricks and whatnot, but I never like using such methods. There's soft mods for the PS2, but as far as I know, there's (currently) no way of loading burned or different region PS1 games directly. And by that I mean, without having to do some sort of swap trick. For the PS1, if you have an older model with a parallel port, it can be as easy as plugging in a GameShark.

The PS2 does have a short list of incompatible PS1 games, which varies by revision.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_P ... yStation_2
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

Echoing the others, I too use my PS1 just to save wear and tear on my PS2. Either PS1 games cause extra wear on PS2 disc drives, or PS2s just aren't as durable as PS1s. Seeing as how PS1s are cheaper than PS2s, I'd rather just keep two consoles around and not have to buy another PS2 every 5 years.

If space is actually a big deal for you, 99.5% of PS1 games will run on PS2. You're only going to miss out on like 5 or less worthwhile games, and you could always emulate those or something.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

Spyke wrote:I play shumps and 2D fighters pretty much exclusively.

In this case, you should keep your PS1 handy. Both Gradius Gaiden and Toaplan Shooting Battle have some issues when played on a PS2.
Spyke
64-bit

Post by Spyke »

Ghegs wrote:
Spyke wrote:I play shumps and 2D fighters pretty much exclusively.

In this case, you should keep your PS1 handy. Both Gradius Gaiden and Toaplan Shooting Battle have some issues when played on a PS2.

Thanks. That's handy to know, as I have GG but haven't played it in the PS2 yet so wasn't aware. I also wasn't aware of the extra strain running PS1 games puts on a PS2. Sounds like it'll be sticking around a bit longer.

It's the older model, sometimes known as the "audiophile" model(?) nd runs pretty well mostly but does sometimes "play up" every now and then, which made me think the PS2 might be a better option. But maybe it's the mod chip causing the palying up, or maybe it's just age?

Anyway, it runs (mostly) well. Space-wise I was hoping to be able to replace it with my new PC engine, but that obviously won't be happening! Good job the PCE is small and can be slid in somewhere in my gaming setup!

Thanks for all the info.

Ant
Jp-modded PS1 - PAL PS2 - Jp PS2 - Jp Saturn - PAL Xbox 360 - Jp Xbox 360 - Jp MD - Multi-region DC - Spare DC - Pal GC - GBA - DS-Lite
Xelyx
32-bit

Post by Xelyx »

CRTGAMER wrote:Save the wear and tear of the PS2 for just PS2 games. PS2 consoles when starting to wear out will first quit reading PS2 CD discs. This leads me to believe the optical reader perhaps has to work harder accessing CDs vs DVD game discs. You would think the DVDs would give the drive a bigger workout, but mostly its the CDs that fail to read first.

If you have an older grey parallel port PS1 model you can plug in "Instant Load" cheat carts, something that cannot be done on the PS1.

As for your PAL PS1 games since you already have a modded PS1, why not just convert the game discs to NTSC? Look in the Guides section, posted info there how to do it.

Whenever my PS2 starts to have trouble reading CD games I pull it apart and blow out all the dust, clean the laser eye and grease the guide rails for the laser. It works like new afterwards, and is still going strong after more than 12 years.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I had to buy a PS1 to play Grandia as the game doesn't run properly on PS2. There are a handful of other games with the same issue, but I think Grandia might be the only noteworthy one.

The PS2 is by no means a 'better' PS1 in terms of compatability, but it handles the vast majority of PS1 stuff OK.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

alienjesus wrote:The PS2 is by no means a 'better' PS1 in terms of compatability, but it handles the vast majority of PS1 stuff OK.

The PS2 is most certainly a better PS1. Sure, compatibility isn't 100%, but it's close to it. And the games that do work, work better than OK. The PS2 will load PS1 games faster than an actual PS1 (especially those PS1s whose drives are on their way out). The PS2 will also output component video (PS1 only did RGB) as well as digital audio.

When I was playing through Final Fantasy VII, I started on my PS1. My PS1 wouldn't load the second disc, so I had to switch to using my PS2 to finish the game.