Xbox Steel Battalion Controller Question

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

At a Thrift store, I discovered just the center of a newer blue button Steel Battalion controller. No sticks or pedals, just the center button panel with large knob controller. The owner stated that was the only piece they had and wanted $15.00. I passed up on it, but might go back if I can put it to use. I'm thinking as an auxiliary button panel for Flight Sim games.

http://www.steelbattalion.org/controller.php

Here is a photo of both the old and the new controllers so you can see the subtle visual differences.

The new controller has a grey matte finish to the metal plates rather than the black of the old controller.

Question 1
Will just the center controller unit work with any other Xbox game besides the two Steel Battalion games?

Question 2
I have an Xbox Controller Adapter for the PC. Any Steel battalion owners try the controller for PC Mech or Flight games?

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

MrPopo

Re: Xbox Steel Battalion Controller Question

Post by MrPopo »

As far as I know if you only picked up the base it would only be good as an alternate controller on the PC.

I know people have set up profiles to use the Steel Battalion controller to play MechWarrior: Living Legends, and I'm sure for other games. But if you are just using the base unit as a supplement you might run into the issue that many games don't support multiple joysticks simultaneously. The really hardcore modern flight sims do (Falcon 4.0, DCS, etc) but many of the older ones do not.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

CRTGAMER wrote:Question 1
Will just the center controller unit work with any other Xbox game besides the two Steel Battalion games?

Even if you had the whole shebang, the only XBOX games that support Steel Battalion controllers are Steel Battalion 1 & 2.

CRTGAMER wrote:Question 2
I have an Xbox Controller Adapter for the PC. Any Steel battalion owners try the controller for PC Mech or Flight games?

Using software like Joy2Key, you could map practically any controller to practically any game... but you already knew that, didn't you CRT?

The tricky part is the feedback. When a gamer plays Steel Battalion, the XBOX sends feedback to the controller to make the ignition light blink or the start button light up. I can't think of any way to utilize that feedback function with any other game.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

MrPopo wrote:As far as I know if you only picked up the base it would only be good as an alternate controller on the PC.

I know people have set up profiles to use the Steel Battalion controller to play MechWarrior: Living Legends, and I'm sure for other games. But if you are just using the base unit as a supplement you might run into the issue that many games don't support multiple joysticks simultaneously. The really hardcore modern flight sims do (Falcon 4.0, DCS, etc) but many of the older ones do not.
samsonlonghair wrote:Even if you had the whole shebang, the only XBOX games that support Steel Battalion controllers are Steel Battalion 1 & 2.

Using software like Joy2Key, you could map practically any controller to practically any game... but you already knew that, didn't you CRT?

The tricky part is the feedback. When a gamer plays Steel Battalion, the XBOX sends feedback to the controller to make the ignition light blink or the start button light up. I can't think of any way to utilize that feedback function with any other game.

Thanks for the info, looks like the Xbox is out. I suspected with the PC adapter the controller should be picked up as a generic gamepad though the large knob (each rotation detent a button?) may not work. I should go back and pick it up that Battalion Button Pad and give it a shot. That bank of buttons for Flight Sims, I think even Falcon 4.0 and MS Flight Sim should work with that Joy2Key you reminded me of, thanks! :mrgreen:

As for the lights there is an HID for the game console Buzz Controllers though it would just keep the lights turned on. Would be neat for a Flight Sim if I could get the lights to work to indicate gear up or down and flaps position. The Flight Stick already has throttle control; that Battalion knob teases as a great flap angle control.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

Go back to the thrift store and tell him it's useless, but offer him 10, because it's cool looking. If you have enough space, because it does seem to take up alot of space.
It's actually awesome looking.
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389