How is your PSOne/PS1 gaming going?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: How is your PSOne/PS1 gaming going?

Post by Xeogred »

Sarge wrote:For some reason folks like BoFIII more; at least it seems that way to me. I much prefer BoFIV myself. Better pacing, for one, and I liked the story a bit more to boot.

There's a reason I didn't say BoFIII. 8)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

@Exhuminator
Stop making me add games to my wishlist.

Xeogred wrote:Bone, I think you'd really like Breath of Fire IV. Along with Suikoden 1-2, these all feel pretty 5th gen too.

I like the two Parasite Eve games a lot, but always drop off after a few hours admittedly. The first feels too much like Vagrant Story light, and the second feels too much like Resident Evil with pointless RPG mechanics and mission based elements. Wish both games were just a smudge different and I'd like them more. But I love how they were classic Square Soft with great vibes.

I own and enjoy the third and fourth Breath of Fire installments. Suikoden I got on PSN. May go the same route for the sequel, it's too expensive otherwise.

I have the first Parasite Eve, and I think it's alright but I've never been inspired to try out the sequel.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:@Exhuminator
Stop making me add games to my wishlist.

You know, it won't be long before really good wearable glasses that do this...

"Google Translate could already translate Japanese text into English from a captured photo, but now the app skips a step, letting you point your camera at signs, menus and other things that might contain printed Japanese words, and get a translation to English on the fly (and vice versa). The feature is available via Word Lens in both the iOS and the Android versions of the Google Translate app." ( https://techcrunch.com/2017/01/26/googl ... nese-text/ )

...become extremely affordable.

And the quality/speed of the on-the-fly-translation will only continue to improve going forward. So just think guys, all those legions of Japanese-only JRPGs/SRPGs/VNs out there will be comprehensible, without having to be fan translated. It's a simultaneously amazing and horrifying thought.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

There are voice devices too. It'll be fascinating if this stuff becomes easily affordable (sounds like it) in my/our lifetime and I can actually take a trip to Japan and get around.

And it's seriously intriguing considering using these kind of devices merely for home use on Japanese games or VN's could be really cool if it would work that way too, and I don't see why not. Do I really want to know the context of some hentai games though, hmm...

Technology is the universal language. But yeah, it's also scary.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I think we all learned from babelfish just how reliable machine translation is. :lol:

Natural language is full of idioms, nuance, context, and connotation that computers don't understand.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

samsonlonghair wrote:Natural language is full of idioms, nuance, context, and connotation that computers don't understand.

Well darn, guess that's just the way it's always gonna be.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I just scanned your reply with Google translate... Yep, Google translate confirms that you meant that literally. :lol:

https://youtu.be/EZ73Q4DwrGM
I never skip an excuse to post this Simpsons clip.
Last edited by samsonlonghair on Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Google Translate still sucks balls with Japanese to English translation. We will probably have the eyeglasses before we have seamless auto-translation.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

samsonlonghair wrote:I just scanned your reply with Google translate... Yep, Google translate confirms that you meant that literally.

That's only because they haven't added the blue text sarcasm subroutine yet.

We don't need 100% perfect infallible translation capability to play old Japanese video games. Just understanding the gist of what's onscreen will do fine. We are very close to this level now.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I dunno about that. I find Google’s results often unintelligible. Sometimes there is no gist to be found.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.