How is your PSOne/PS1 gaming going?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
mas
Next-Gen

How is your PSOne/PS1 gaming going?

Post by mas »

Well its just fitting we do a tribute on the psone. We have every other system dedicated for a thread but I looked everywhere for a ps1 thread and can't find one. If there is one please let me know.
Anyways I love my PlayStation. It is a system that I felt you truly had the arcades to home and the ps1 I remember made a lot of people come back to gaming. What made me get one was wcw vs the world and raiden. Also seeing soul blade and getting tekken 2 for Xmas from my girlfriend now wife was awesome. She did always beat me holding the down button and only kicking with Nina but it was great that we were playing a game system together.
I currently have I think about 80 or so and I just picked up darkstalkers 3 for a 1.00. Love the fact that no one cares about the ps1 games and sell top notch games for under 5.00 while a snes cart a random cart will have someone sell it for top dollar.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: How is your psone/ps1 gaming going on

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

PS3 had a sale and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne was $3. Definitely worth it and will be firing that up monday night
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:PS3 had a sale and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne was $3. Definitely worth it and will be firing that up monday night

Is it still on sale?
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Xeogred wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:PS3 had a sale and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne was $3. Definitely worth it and will be firing that up monday night

Is it still on sale?

I believe so yes until the end of the day today. If you are a playstation plus member it is $1.50
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Damn I wish my kids would let me get that
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

I'm not a rpg fan anyways and thank god. Those games are so expensive. The ps1 has a bundle of rpg's hell I think it has the most
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I am a big retro RPG fan but I prefer the 16-bit stuff over what's on PSX. I'd still like to get Vagrant Story, Tales of Destiny II (ooouuuuuch), Battle Hunter, King's Field, Beyond the Beyond, Dragon Valor, all the Japan-exclusive Falcom titles... Then I'm gonna call it a day.

It's hard to articulate why, but I've always been kind of ambivalent towards the PlayStation. It has a massive library of high-quality titles, but most seem to lack that idiosyncratic "hook" that so many Saturn and N64 games have. If that makes sense. I buy like 2-3 PlayStation games per year. Hell, I think I bought more Neo Geo games than PSX games in 2015 which is just weird.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

You know what else is funny about the ps1? They always said that there going full 3d and 2d was out. Yet look at the library there are a lot of 2d games from fighting go shmups to puzzle and platformers
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Post by flojocabron »

mas wrote:You know what else is funny about the ps1? They always said that there going full 3d and 2d was out. Yet look at the library there are a lot of 2d games from fighting go shmups to puzzle and platformers

Sony was really pushing for 3d when their playstation came out. But 2d still held out strong!

Keep an eye out for RPG's anyways. You might still get lucky and find a few. Like you said not many people care for ps1 stuff anymore. There are still lots of gems out there for you to find.

Look for the PS white font on black CD spines when you go game hunting. You can still find a bunch of PS1 games mixed in with audio CDs.

Keep an eye out for Ridge Racer 4 or R4 on the yellow label. Its a great racing game and if you find it complete you'll find the first PS1 ridge racer on a second disc. Its sped up more than the original and it gives it a different feel.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:It's hard to articulate why, but I've always been kind of ambivalent towards the PlayStation. It has a massive library of high-quality titles, but most seem to lack that idiosyncratic "hook" that so many Saturn and N64 games have.

You know I've always kinda felt the same way, and I don't really know why.

Objectively the library is outstanding (and I love the games I have) but overall I just don't really care. :?

My collection is also pretty damn small compared to other systems, and I bought mine shortly after the release of the PSOne.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.