How is your PSOne/PS1 gaming going?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: How is your PSOne/PS1 gaming going?

Post by Exhuminator »

marurun wrote:I dunno about that. I find Google’s results often unintelligible. Sometimes there is no gist to be found.

Google is but one of many translation engines in active development. You guys have to look farther down the road of technology. I have zero doubt in the not-too-distant future we will have fantastic real-time automatic translation, wearable even. Yeah it's not today. It might not be tomorrow. But it will happen within some of our lifetimes.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

I think it's shortsighted to think we won't have a usable* realtime translation app out there soon. The timeframe on something like that and the way it'll be used primarily (wearable, mainstream vs. academic etc.) is harder to say.

*Usable as in getting the general idea of the subject and feel of text. I'm not sure if we will see a translation app that combines enough popular colloquialisms and idioms to capture a perfect or even truly fluent translation in the majority of situations within the next 5 years though.

It's wild to think that someday we could have universal translators like Trek, and that we may look back on people struggling with fan translations and even learning languages to play a game or read a book, and think it quaint. Think of the impact on intercultural and historical studies. I remember reading about thousands of Sumerian (I think) tablets sitting in museums that are able to be translated, there just isn't enough interest to get it done. If Google or someone else threw some effort and advertising at solving that problem, it may be possible to see those decently translated by computer within a couple of years and we could have a much clearer picture of that civilization.

Not to derail the thread, I would also be able to play Policenauts without worrying about translation patches or emulation! It's truly an age of miracles!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

chuckster wrote:It's wild to think that someday we could have universal translators like Trek

Yes. There are already multiple companies working on devices to do this. These are just a few:

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/g ... 59674.html

http://www.itranslate.com/ear-translator

https://www.boredpanda.com/real-time-tr ... erly-labs/

https://iamili.com/

Never say never when it comes to science and technology.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Was watching EZA's Kyle stream some Brave Fencer Musashi last night and this morning. It looks... weird. BP management and Musashi gets "tired" real easily, so he'll only walk at a crawl's pace throughout the levels. Lots of weird camera angles and gimmicks. Some areas look like floating islands, but then you realize going down some hill loads up a village that magically pops up when it loads that zone, funny limitations. It just all looks maybe a bit too experimental.

I only have a loose disc of this one and consider that the half-backlog, so it's not something I'm too worried about. :roll: :lol:
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

I think PS1 is going to be my current retro project for the near future (N64 will follow). But, I have no idea what to get for it. Any suggestions?

Currently considering
Suikoden 1&2
Dino Crisis 1&2
Castlevanias
Dragon Warrior 7

Have no idea on anything else though.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

What have you played? Those are some good starter choices. Xenogears and Breath of Fire IV are top tier for some non Suikoden/FF choices.

Dino Crisis is good but they're B-grade efforts compared to Resident Evil. My favorite RE-clone is probably Hard Edge/TRAG.

Symphony of the Night is a classic but also check out Castlevania Chronicles!

PSX is a gold mine. Last year I finally played through Mega Man Legends 1-2 and they were some of my favorite games last year. I plan to hit up Tron Bonne this year. I just got done replaying RE1 (Directors Cut, non-DualShock version) and RE2 again over the weekend. And I've been playing Threads of Fate a bit which seems really cool.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

By "castlevania", I meant to include Chronicles, haha.

I'm not 100% on Dino Crisis, I just heard Resident Evil clone and got interested. Same to an extent for parasite eve.

Mega Man legends is a duh. Costly, like Suikoden 2, but good stuff.

I've only played Symphony of the Night and Sheep Raider... so little/no background with PS1. I'm honestly open to anything though.

Also, no FF besides Tactics. Never liked it.

Other interests I've thought of:
Chrono Cross
Bushido blade
Tactics ogre
I'll try kings field if I can find a copy for a decent price (disc only for 49.95? Lol)

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

R-Type Delta

It is pretty much the best shmup ever. It is a INSANELY hard, though.

Also, play DQVII on the 3DS (or not at all). It can be a slog at times, and the 3DS’ portability helps.

Finally, collecting for the PS1 is great. There are so many, many good games - Chrono Cross is one, BTW - and games for the system are still relatively cheap.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

How about some non-RPG recommendations excluding any of the stuff previously mentioned? I can find tons of RPG info, but I don't even know where to start besides that.

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Forlorn Drifter wrote:How about some non-RPG recommendations excluding any of the stuff previously mentioned? I can find tons of RPG info, but I don't even know where to start besides that.

Nuclear Strike is a solid game...Lots of different aircraft to pilot, and lots of stuff to blow up. The missions are pretty good, or you can just wander around the map wreaking havoc if that’s more your style.