Finished MGS2, I started playing MGS3 and don't like it

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Shogun
32-bit

Finished MGS2, I started playing MGS3 and don't like it

Post by Shogun »

I wanted to play through the Metal Gear games with the new one coming out. I had beaten MGS1 way back when it first came out and bought MGS2 but never finished it. I thought 1 was awesome. It did a lot of stuff that had never been seen before in a game but it was a bit dated even though when it came out it was ahead of anything else at the time.

Then I played MGS2 and was completely blown away at how Kojima completely flipped the narrative on its head. I'd never seen anything like that in a game. There was so much in there that he did to mess with the gamer and it took meta to whole new levels - it was genius. I loved the plot and thought it was really opening up the series to be even larger in scale. Much to my dismay though after I finished the game I went researching and saw how pissed people were when the game was released and to this day many people still hate it. Its very divisive. I read a bunch of theories and interpretations of the plot for my own interest and then moved onto MGS3.

With MGS3 it seems to be a step backwards. The menu is really clunky and I am now forced to go through said clunky menu tons of times for food, healing, camo, and backpack management. I don't find any of that enjoyable its all just chores I have to do while playing the game. The camera system is really frustrating. I'm trying not to be seen but it is so wide open I get spotted by guards I cant even see. On top of that the plot seems really forced - The voice acting is cheesier than normal, the timing of the speech is off making radio communications really painful to listen through as it is filled with tons of awkward pauses. The enemies are really cheesy as well. Everything just seems over the top in your face to shut people up from bitching about MGS2. I just got out of the cave after fighting the wasp guy and I'm just feeling meh about it so far. Does the game get better? Why do other people like MGS3 so much? I'm hoping MGS4 returns at least in style to MGS2.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Re: Finished MGS2, I started playing MGS3 and don't like it

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Play the substance version instead.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

SamuraiMegas wrote:Play the substance version instead.

Substance is the MGS2 re-release, Subsistence is the MGS3 re-release.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_Gea ... ubsistence

MGS3 Subsistence has a free roaming camera system. I couldn't imagine playing the game without it (ie: The original version with the locked camera system).
Shogun
32-bit

Post by Shogun »

SamuraiMegas wrote:Play the substance version instead.

Thats the version I'm playing.
flylikeabird
16-bit

Post by flylikeabird »

MGS 3 Subsistence is by far the best game in the series and I don't think it is that close. I do remember it starting off pretty slow though. I'd say stick with it, I remember getting about 30% of the way through the game and it really started to get really good.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

In general, some stuff in MGS3 is a deliberate step backward because it's a prequel, and "predates" a lot of the in-game technology (or has a more limited version of it). If you want something that picks up where MGS2 leaves off, play MGS4 - that's the game that comes after it in the Metal Gear timeline.
'course, with regard to MGSV, it comes after MGS3 and Peace Walker (and technically Portable Ops, which is between those, but has been largely written off AFAIK).

That said, I'd also put MGS3 (the Subsistence version at least) up there as the best, or one of the best games in the series. It didn't grab me initially either, but by the end I was thoroughly impressed. The gameplay is more involved, but you get used to it, and offhand you have a lot more odd little things to try and have work.

What you might want to do is follow a FAQ to make sure you don't miss gadgets/weapons on the first chance to get them. Also, make a point to stamina KO bosses (at least) to get their unique items. Might have been the first game in the series that made non-lethal a preferable option, though it's something continued into 4.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

You're playing a terrible game. Your reasons are completely justified.

Shogun wrote:I'm hoping MGS4 returns at least in style to MGS2.

I hope you like movies.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:You're playing a terrible game. Your reasons are completely justified.

Don't believe him MGS, MGS2, and MGS3 are all great games.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I noticed you left 4 off that list though. :wink:
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

All f the games are amazing. I didn't like Peace Walker as much, but it is still a good game.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread