Re: PS1 Import Game Recommendations!

Post by alienjesus »

One of my favourite puzzle games is Japan only on PS1:

(Money Idol Exchanger)
KoLAddict
24-bit

Post by KoLAddict »

Awesome thanks. Tear Ring Saga sounds right up my alley!
Huge RPG fan.

PSN ID and XBL GamerTag: KoLAddict
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

RPGs are an interesting case because unlike the Saturn (and PC-FX haha) the vast majority of good PS1 RPGs were indeed localized.

The only ones I plan on importing are those by Falcom: Legend of Heroes I & II, III, and IV, as well as Lord Monarch: Shin Gaia Oukokuki. Ports of those games can be found elsewhere but I can never get enough Falcom.

Blaze and Blade: Eternal Quest is another interesting case. It was released in Japan and Europe, but not the US. There is, however, an American PC version so that may be an easier way to play it. It was developed by T&E Soft who is also responsible for Hydlide...... and a bunch of golf games.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:the vast majority of good PS1 RPGs were indeed localized

Well there's two subjective elements in that sentence "vast majority" and "good", so I can't really argue that you're wrong in an objective fashion. That said, there were quite a lot of PS1 JRPGs that were not localized. One can search through them using this link:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/list-48?region=2&dist=1

It's hard to imagine there weren't some JRPG gems that never left Japan given the quantity of unlocalized releases.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

oh Definitely play the Langrisser games on the PS1, all 1 through 5 have been ported to the original Playstation only in Japan. The games are like Fire Emblem and Advance Wars had a love child. So it has the troop on troop battles of Advance Wars and the Heroes vs Heroes of Fire Emblem. Seriously sad this series sad there hasn't been a Langrisser game brought to the US since 1991.

And the wonderful thing is almost all the RPG PS1 games from Japan are dirt cheap.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Forgot about Langrisser and Dragon Knight 4 as, again, I have them on other consoles. Quality stuff.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

The only PS1 import that I've tried and could understand how to play was Tetris with Cardcaptor Sakura... I had fun with it but there are plenty of Tetris games so I kind of doubt that's the best one to get :lol:

I have heard good things about moon: Remix RPG Adventure though... It certainly looks interesting as well but I can't read much Japanese yet so I can't say for sure ><; You can go here for a better explanation of it than I could give: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/lovedelic/lovedelic.htm
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Some of my favorites in the mecha genre,

Fighter:

Cyberbots

Shmup:

Wolf Fang

Weird precursor to Robot Alchemic Drive:

Remote Control Dandy

pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

ninjainspandex wrote:Definitely play the Langrisser games on the PS1, all 1 through 5 have been ported to the original Playstation only in Japan.

Actually Langrisser III was only released to home consoles on the Saturn, until 2005, when it was ported (apparently rather poorly) to the PS2.

The PS1 doesn't have all 5 Langrissers available to it, but the Saturn does. However, IV and V were released together as a "Final Edition" on the PS1. I can't seem to find much information on what, if anything, was really added to them, though. On a side note, Gaia no Monsho on the PC Engine is supposedly a precursor of sorts to Langrisser series.

Gunstar Green wrote:Some of my favorites in the mecha genre,

Fighter:

Cyberbots

This one's better played on the Saturn as well. Great game, though.
Last edited by pierrot on Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Oops I knew all 5 had been released on the Saturn, I assumed the PS1 as well. Guess I was wrong.