Looking at a 360 - what games are worth getting?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Looking at a 360 - what games are worth getting?

Post by jmbarnes101 »

I'm a Nintendo person and have all of those consoles. I've had almost everything else though and sold it off or don't play much. I am looking at getting a 360 though since it would be a replacement for my still working but getting run down Xbox. Keep in mind I don't really enjoy your Call of Duty and Elder Scrolls type games. This would be something to play with my kids and friends essentially as something different.

What I'm looking at for games are the Rare games like Banjo and Perfect Dark, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom, DeathSmiles, and the various compilation games like Capcom, Konami, and Sonic's Genesis Collection. Is there anything else out there that might be worth looking at? I don't see much for family friendly games at first glance.

Also, how does the games on Xbox Live work? Do I need a paid account and do they still sell things? If so, what is good out there?
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Re: Looking at a 360 - what games are worth getting?

Post by isiolia »

jmbarnes101 wrote:Also, how does the games on Xbox Live work? Do I need a paid account and do they still sell things? If so, what is good out there?

Their general Q&A about DRM is here. More or less, if it's your primary 360, anyone logging on the system can just use it. If you want to access the content on another 360, you need to log in.

You don't need a paid account, however, you can't generally play online without one (FFXI I know is an exception, so there may be others). They did start competing with PS+ though, and so you get free Games with Gold that are actually yours to keep (unlike PS+, where access is contingent on maintaining that subscription). In the past, things like Netflix were also restricted to Gold, but at least some of that has been relaxed.

If you don't, eh, you still have achievements and ability to chat and all that if you want. There are a number of digital-only games that might prove interesting. Shadow Complex, Dust: An Elysian Tale, Hard Corps Uprising, etc.

Offhand, some disc based games you may want to look at would be Enslaved, Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom, Child of Eden, and the Fable games, though not really for multiplayer.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Post by jmbarnes101 »

Thank you for the information. I was looking through a list of Xbox Live games and saw they had X-Men, my favorite arcade game ever, and then saw it was no longer available. :(
I'm assuming this won't be coming back?
My FS/FT/WTTF list:

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

Doubtful, as I think that was one that got pulled due to the license expiring.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

As someone who has the same questions about DS games, I found this site to be a great help in starting out.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

So I didn't see PS3 on your list of consoles so are mutliplatform games open for suggestions?
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Viva Pinata, possibly the system's most underrated game - also included on the recently announced Rare Replay. Trouble in Paradise is the sequel

Foul Play, a simple to play, family friendly, 2-d beat 'em up with co op

The Castle of Illusion remake

Hell Yeah Wrath of the Dead Rabbit - Old, school, Sega style, 2d platfomer. It's violent, but in a cartoony way

Castle Crashers - multi player beat 'em up in the vein of Guardian Heroes...which is also available on the 360 (Guardian Heroes I mean)

Dust: An Elysium Tail - Very kid friendly, metroidvania style game

The Lego games

Transformers War for Cybertron

Enslaved Oddysey to the West

The ridiculously good Batman Arkham games

Guacamelee - Beat 'em up + Metroid + Lucha Libre wrestling culture = this

Ghostbusters - It's a third person shooter, but you don't have to like the genre to get into it if you're a Ghostbusters fan. It's essentially an interactive Ghostbusters movie. This was much better than the PS3 port

Prince of Persia (2008)

The Marvel Ultimate Alliance games
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Post by jmbarnes101 »

Fragems wrote:So I didn't see PS3 on your list of consoles so are mutliplatform games open for suggestions?

Yep, I have Kingdom Hearts I & II for the PS2 and don't plan on getting anymore Playstation consoles. Anything that also came out on the Wii or Wii U I'd get on that instead though.

Gamerforlife wrote:Viva Pinata, possibly the system's most underrated game - also included on the recently announced Rare Replay. Trouble in Paradise is the sequel

Foul Play, a simple to play, family friendly, 2-d beat 'em up with co op

The Castle of Illusion remake

Hell Yeah Wrath of the Dead Rabbit - Old, school, Sega style, 2d platfomer. It's violent, but in a cartoony way

Castle Crashers - multi player beat 'em up in the vein of Guardian Heroes...which is also available on the 360 (Guardian Heroes I mean)

Dust: An Elysium Tail - Very kid friendly, metroidvania style game

The Lego games

Transformers War for Cybertron

Enslaved Oddysey to the West

The ridiculously good Batman Arkham games

Guacamelee - Beat 'em up + Metroid + Lucha Libre wrestling culture = this

Ghostbusters - It's a third person shooter, but you don't have to like the genre to get into it if you're a Ghostbusters fan. It's essentially an interactive Ghostbusters movie. This was much better than the PS3 port

Prince of Persia (2008)

The Marvel Ultimate Alliance games

Some of those games seem interesting. Ghostbusters I would get on the Wii and Guacamelee I have on the Wii U. Viva Piñata and the sequel is on my radar. I'll have to look into the Rare Replay. Dust and Castle of Illusion seem interesting.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:

Game Systems Owned:
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

Here are few multiplayer games I'll toss out there.

Army of Two series(TPS with 2 player co-op it's pretty violent but fun with the right person)
Beautiful Katamari
Blur(Basically Need for Speed mixed with Mario Kart style power ups)
Fuse(TPS with 4 player co-op through the whole campaign.)
Gears of War Series(Not really my cup of tea but with a co-op partner they are decent)
Konami Classics Packs(Some decent games if you don't already have them and a few such as Super Contra have co-op)
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection(Another solid compilation game)
Split/Second(Pretty fun arcade racer with events you can trigger on the map as opposed to regular power ups. Oddly enough it's a Disney studios game.)

The kinect also has alot of interesting party games although it's a real pain in the butt if you have limited space or a dark room.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

A couple of really overlooked exclusives that I always plug if I can are Project Sylpheed and WarTech.

Both are still exclusive and stupid low cheap.
While they aren't "AAA" games, they are very fun, even though there's some flaws.

Project Sylpheed: Arc of Deception
^ Click Me! ^

WarTech: Senko no Ronde
^ Click Me! ^

Both games are rated Teen for fantasy violence.