Surface 3 (Atom) running Jet Set Radio (Steam), Saturn USB

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
eastside
24-bit

Surface 3 (Atom) running Jet Set Radio (Steam), Saturn USB

Post by eastside »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6QoQyCtJYE

Surface 3 running Jet Set Radio (Steam) beautifully and flawlessly while barely getting warm. Also, Street Fighter III (mame) and Hokuto no Ken (pcsx2) with Saturn USB pad.

This is a fanless device with iPad Air 2 size and weight unlike the bigger and heavier Surface Pro 3.

Saturn USB on Surface requires a small registry value edit in device manager to work.

Nice job, Intel 14nm Atom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Surface 3 (Atom) running Jet Set Radio (Steam), Saturn U

Post by Tanooki »

That's fairly impressive. I know the Surface got a bad rep going out of the gate initially, but this third version of it looks pretty slick. The one thing I liked about it in looking at one before was that it runs windows so it's fairly universal with the PC version. Sure you don't have the big storage of a big old hard drive, but it is a tablet after all.
eastside
24-bit

Post by eastside »

Tanooki wrote:That's fairly impressive. I know the Surface got a bad rep going out of the gate initially, but this third version of it looks pretty slick. The one thing I liked about it in looking at one before was that it runs windows so it's fairly universal with the PC version. Sure you don't have the big storage of a big old hard drive, but it is a tablet after all.

I was surprised by Surface 3 performance making me want Surface Pro 4 all the more. Mobile gaming has come of age.

Check out my latest video, Ikaruga (Steam, fullscreen vertical), Guardian Heroes, Capcom vs Snk2 + Sega Saturn pad. Unfortunately the last two recorded with overexposed lighting and fuzziness, but check out the massive sprite action in Guardian Heroes (3:33) w/o a trace of slowdown and Surface 3 staying cool the whole time.

Surface 3 + Ikaruga, Guardian Heroes, Capcom vs Snk 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BA8rQPi9_tQ
Attachments
20150601_113512z.jpg
20150601_113512z.jpg (213.12 KiB) Viewed 1988 times
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I find it most stunning the thing runs cool just a little more than what we're seeing it run.

My tablet can run some crazy stuff (2013) nexus 7, but the upper corner front(more than the) and back get very warm up by the power/volume buttons as it does more intensive stuff. The level of output on it I'm not sure where it falls, but probably better than or around what people at least attempt on WiiU.

I think you're right in another couple/few years these tablets/phones are going to just cause hell with laptops/pc and consoles.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Simply fantastic.
s8n
128-bit

Post by s8n »

my opinion on Tablets has changed since watching both vids , impressive.........
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Yeah that thing is pretty slick, but even the Android stuff out there, from like the 2nd version of the Nexus forward they're beefy plenty too. Mine can handle Ikaruga just as nicely with the native app. I never looked up if an emulator would do it, so I have no idea, but Ikaruga and also Jet Set Radio are on there. It just comes down to if you can jack in or use a wireless game pad to relieve yourself of crappy touch controls (or even good ones you can't deal with not having a sense of feel for buttons which is my issue.)