Final Fantasy 8 Physical Experts Help. Different Versions?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
TechXRenAgadeX
16-bit

Final Fantasy 8 Physical Experts Help. Different Versions?

Post by TechXRenAgadeX »

Alright so today i found a copy of Final Fantasy 8. I know a friend has been looking for one and i figured I'd be able to trade him since i already have one however these 2 have some physical differences despite both being Greatest Hits Editions.

#1.*The discs look like this.Image
*The back has the ratings on the left side of the back case.
*Under the Rating it has SLUS-00892GH AND 00908GH-00910GH

Among other things

#2*While these discs look like thisImage
*The back has the ratings on the right side of the back case with larger font for the Violence, Mild Language, and suggestive themes.
*Inside the case the manual is black not a greatest hits one
*This version came with a Mini Walkthrough manual looking thing between the 3rd and 4th disc.
*Under Teen it has only SLUS-00892GH

Whats the deal here?
Check out my channel All about Horror Video Games, Movies, and all things Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHX9e1USd3Q
Blu
Next-Gen

Re: Final Fantasy 8 Physical Experts Help. Different Version

Post by Blu »

Not seeing your photos mate, did you link them correctly? Once you do that, perhaps we can be of better assistance.

Actually, I can see the images if I copy the URL. You're linking a greatest hits version and a PAL version of FF8. What's the branding on both copies. One might be a Greatest Hits by Square-Enix, the other Squaresoft? You can tell if it's a reprint or a Greatest Hits version by Squaresoft, by how it's branded on the discs.

The Square Enix copies don't have Squall, Rinoa, Seifer, or Laguna on the discs, the Squaresoft copies do.
TechXRenAgadeX
16-bit

Post by TechXRenAgadeX »

Blu wrote:Not seeing your photos mate, did you link them correctly? Once you do that, perhaps we can be of better assistance.

Actually, I can see the images if I copy the URL. You're linking a greatest hits version and a PAL version of FF8. What's the branding on both copies. One might be a Greatest Hits by Square-Enix, the other Squaresoft? You can tell if it's a reprint or a Greatest Hits version by Squaresoft, by how it's branded on the discs.

The Square Enix copies don't have Squall, Rinoa, Seifer, or Laguna on the discs, the Squaresoft copies do.

oh ya 1 is SquareEnix and the other is Squaresoft i have a sticker over the square enix one so i didnt notice it until i checked the back and noticed the 2 seperate brands. Any difference between the 2? Is it worth keeping both? lol
Check out my channel All about Horror Video Games, Movies, and all things Dark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHX9e1USd3Q
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

TechXRenAgadeX wrote:Alright so today i found a copy of Final Fantasy 8. I know a friend has been looking for one and i figured I'd be able to trade him since i already have one however these 2 have some physical differences despite both being Greatest Hits Editions.

#1.*The discs look like this.
*The back has the ratings on the left side of the back case.
*Under the Rating it has SLUS-00892GH AND 00908GH-00910GH

Among other things

#2*While these discs look like thisImage
*The back has the ratings on the right side of the back case with larger font for the Violence, Mild Language, and suggestive themes.
*Inside the case the manual is black not a greatest hits one
*This version came with a Mini Walkthrough manual looking thing between the 3rd and 4th disc.
*Under Teen it has only SLUS-00892GH

Whats the deal here?

#2 is an earlier print run from before the Square Enix merger. It's also one of the early prints according to this site.

http://game-rave.com/psx_games/d_i/psx_ ... index.html

Scroll down and they have some variant info.

It's important to point out that the Brady Games Hint Book only came with the first print runs.

#2 is the keeper if your looking from a collection standpoint. #1 might have some software revisions that fix small issues though.

Edit:

Looks like you might have BL guts in your GH case. I'm no expert though :P.

Misread their statement elsewhere on that page they put.

First print runs of the game came with a mini-guide from Brady Games. These were left behind for the Greatest Hits editions.

Would also explain the manual and disc art not matching up with the GH variants they had.
theclaw
Next-Gen

Post by theclaw »

Like Blu said, the #2 picture shown above is PAL.
If those discs are what you have, might not be very useful here.
Lum fan.