PSP Battery Latest

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
eggman
24-bit

PSP Battery Latest

Post by eggman »

Where and what PSP replacement battery should I buy for a 2000 slim model?

I know there are other threads on this, but I wanted to know if there is anyone with recent (last 6 months) experiences with buying replacement/backup batteries online specifically.

Thanks for the help!
Need Hexyz Force and Class of Heroes 2 for a complete PSP RPG Set.....let me know your price!!!!
Purkeynator
64-bit

Re: PSP Battery Latest

Post by Purkeynator »

Supplies of official sony batteries have dried up. You will have to import a knockoff battery from china. Try dealextreme.
eggman
24-bit

Post by eggman »

Thanks for the tip. Any idea which ones are better? The pandora battery looks interesting with its strip thingy!?!
Need Hexyz Force and Class of Heroes 2 for a complete PSP RPG Set.....let me know your price!!!!
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

eggman wrote:Thanks for the tip. Any idea which ones are better? The pandora battery looks interesting with its strip thingy!?!

don't get the pandora battery, that is strickley for hacking your psp not for daily use and you don't even need it anymore to hack it.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I never understood that anyway. How does a battery allow you to hack a PSP? That never made sense to me.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So is it impossible to find new old stock of official Sony batteries these days?

samsonlonghair wrote:I never understood that anyway. How does a battery allow you to hack a PSP? That never made sense to me.

The battery can tell the PSP to go into some sort of service mode when you boot it up. You don't actually need the Pandora battery to do it. There's some circuitry inside the official (normal) PSP battery. There's a single connection that, when disconnected, will turn it into a "Pandora" battery.
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

samsonlonghair wrote:I never understood that anyway. How does a battery allow you to hack a PSP? That never made sense to me.

When we hacked the PSP firmware and decrypted it we discovered that there was a hidden service mode that was activated when a certain type of battery was inserted into the device. Sony used these jig-kick like jumper devices to put a PSP into service mode to flash the firmware in case of a bad flash. IE you begin flashing your OG PSP with official firmware and it somehow fails midway through (battery falls out, power cut, corruption etc) and you sent it off to Sony to be repaired. Instead of flashing the firmware directly, Sony used this hidden service mode to attempt to flash it through software first.

The batteries in the PSP (like a lot of batteries nowadays) have their own firmware. We figured out a way of re-writing that firmware on the battery and converting it into a jig-kick or 'Pandora' battery.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Niode wrote:The batteries in the PSP (like a lot of batteries nowadays) have their own firmware. We figured out a way of re-writing that firmware on the battery and converting it into a jig-kick or 'Pandora' battery.

Is that true? I haven't ever heard of rewriting PSP battery firmware. On my official PSP Slim battery, I was able to cut a trace and use it as a Pandora battery (that's how I installed CFW).