PS3 won't read discs.

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
jp1
Next-Gen

PS3 won't read discs.

Post by jp1 »

Is this worth fixing? Or even possible? I thought about beefing up the hard drive and just using it for digital content.

It's a first gen fat unit. I tried running a bluray cleaner and taking it apart and cleaning the lens by hand, no good...so I think it is burned out. The thing runs fine otherwise.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: PS3 won't read discs.

Post by ZeroAX »

hack it and play isos and emulators
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Eh, for the cost of fixing the BluRay drive, you're like halfway to another console anyway. Just rock it digital style.

Or hack it, as ZeroAX suggested. Just make sure you paint pot leaves all over it and post pictures for us to see.
jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

BudSmoka!

How do you hack this thing anyway?
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

psx-scene would be your friend on that, I think. Never messed with it myself.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

TSTR wrote: Just make sure you paint pot leaves all over it and post pictures for us to see.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Though since the PS3 is "something worth working extra hours for" maybe he should spray paint a cocaine packet instead?
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

ZeroAX wrote:
TSTR wrote: Just make sure you paint pot leaves all over it and post pictures for us to see.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Though since the PS3 is "something worth working extra hours for" maybe he should spray paint a cocaine packet instead?

Glue some white beach sand in little lines and a razor blade? That'd work on the shiny old ones, right?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

jp1 wrote:Is this worth fixing? It's a first gen fat unit.

Does the disc reader work on any discs; DVD movies, PS1 or PS2 games? Considering it is PS2 compatible, might be worth buying a later model fat and swapping out the disc reader? I prefer playing PS2 games installed internally on the PS2 Fat, but in your case with the PS3 Fat, if the cost is low might be worth doing.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

jp1
Next-Gen

Post by jp1 »

CRTGAMER wrote:
jp1 wrote:Is this worth fixing? It's a first gen fat unit.

Does the disc reader work on any discs; DVD movies, PS1 or PS2 games? Considering it is PS2 compatible, might be worth buying a later model fat and swapping out the disc reader? I prefer playing PS2 games installed internally on the PS2 Fat, but in your case with the PS3 Fat, if the cost is low might be worth doing.

Not a bad idea, however I have a PS2 that is chipped with an internal hard disk and a magic mem card. It never did play ps2 games though, oddly enough. Anyway, I haven't tried ps1 or dvd discs. I'm really only interested in ps3 on it, so I may put in a large hard drive and get a ps+ sub or something.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

The bad news is, you can't straight up swap drives. The optic drive, like on the 360, is paired with the motherboard, you'd have to either flash the new driver board or swap driver boards or something like that. As far as I know, when it comes to PS3, this is less walked territory, unlike on 360 where there's a lot of tools.

You can swap driver boards into an entirely new optic drive (the models would have to match exactly for this to never have issues). There's a video of someone doing it here: http://youtu.be/Pfng7G9Yhzs (Note, this shows a PS3 Slim drive, but the process should be very similar)

If you want to flash Firmware, you're really on your own.

If it's the laser, you can replace that (it's not terribly difficult, just take your time, there's a video of someone doing it here http://youtu.be/D6dnzE6rpK4) And that assembly piece is only $35 or so. If all that's wrong is the laser is not functioning, this is what you should do.

If the Driver board itself is malfunctioning, you're SOL unless you can flash firmware.

Is it worth fixing it? Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on what you want. If you want to buy an entire new PS3, that's up to you.

Personally, I'd buy a new one, and I'd fix this one. I would find the least reasons to boot up a BC PS3 as possible, to try to preserve that machine. Fixing a broken solder joint on surface mounted chips is not easy at all, and to do it properly requires very expensive equipment and a lot of knowledge about profiles.

It's not something I'd want to, personally, do. (FYI, there is a guy on eBay whom does it for $150 or so plus shipping, and he will live stream his progress to you. He has extremely expensive professional equipment and professional engineering training. So, it can be fixed, if that ever happens.)