Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
racketboy
Site Admin

Microsoft Thinks Backwards Compatibility Is Lame

by racketboy Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:51 pm

msimplay
64-bit

by msimplay Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:36 am

Yeah I agree backwards compatability is important I mean one of the main reasons I upgraded to the PS2 so quickly was because I knew it would play all of my games and thats one of the key reasons I haven't bought an xbox 360 already.
It simply doesn't have any games that I want to play its all about the graphics , if it had real backwards compatability I'd probably be very tempted to buy one but for now all it has is a handful of games that no one that owns a pc could care about.

All I hear is buzz words like HD-TV support and brand new graphics etc.
I don't need all that especially since PC owners like myself have had HD since day one and I personally haven't seen anything so outstanding that it matches a high end pc.
People will argue the price difference but the point is my pc can probably bought for say 500 pounds with many games budget priced and with a mid range graphics card 6800 gs that so far has shown me that sure xbox360 has power and is the best games console available but in terms of games it just doesn't do it for me right now.

3.2ghz Pentium 4 , Audigy Sound card , 2 gig ram , Geforce 6800gt

While not the best components I've yet to see games that match say Far Cry running at 1600x1200 which I know is higher than what the HD-TV can handle

On another note its the same reason why i've constantly upgraded my Gameboy to the latest edition because I knew all my old games would be playable on it from the get go.
Backwards compatability is important especially at launch when relatively few games will be available and even less of that are worth buying a whole new console for
Ivo
Next-Gen

Re: Microsoft Thinks Backwards Compatibility Is Lame

by Ivo Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:36 am

racketboy wrote:Read it:
http://www.racketboy.com/retro/2006/06/ ... wards.html

What Are Your Thoughts?

Lame is saying that Backwards compatibility is lame.

I think that's shooting themselves on the foot for a significant portion of the users. Maybe they know better than us, but I would definitively assume that it's not just retrogamers like us that like backwards compatibility.
1. People that have the previous system might be able to trade it in at the shop for a small discount if they can play their titles in the new machine, for example; Or might want to get rid of the old one for space, or even for comfort of not having a mess of wires in the living room (don't underestimate this)

2. There will also be a period of time where the older console is a valid development base and not having it backward compatible kills it a good bit outright (and see what happened with the DC and the Saturn)... I read somewhere from a rep of a software house that the XBox was all but dead now with the 360 out. I don't hink the same will happen with the PS2 simply because a game can come out for the PS2 and run on PS3... Similarly, many games (e.g. FF III anyone?) can come out for the GBA and still appeal to the DS-only userbase (I understand leaving the GBC out of the DS, though... There are limits for backward compatibility! But with a difference of 2 generations you can usually have enough raw power to emulate instead of "natively" run it)

3. It lets a new system get away easier with few launch titles.

I don't know, it just seems wrong to neglect it outright.

Ivo.
halosoul
8-bit

by halosoul Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:37 am

I got myself the origianl Xbox insted of the 360, for one its cheaper, It's a great system in it's own right, with fabulous graphics and a great selection of games.

Having had one for just over a month now I've been able to track down a load of games that I got it for, for incredably cheap prices. Some as low as 0.98p for a brand new game. I also feel that it is the true successor to the dreamcast, having so many continuations of DC franchises on it. Just picked up Jet Set Radio Future yesterday, which is excellent, and I've just about got all the 2D fighters available for it, just holding out for the europeon releases of KOF 2003 and Maximum Impact. I'm full of praise for the orginal xbox as you can tell and think it's well worth picking one up over the 360 at the minute.

Perhaps I'll get a 360 eventually when their their on their last legs and going cheap. But at the minute I don't feel theres much point in getting one, I've got plently of original xbox goodness to keep me busy, like 'Fable' for example. For this next console generation I'm far more interested in the Wii, the king of backwards compatability!
Wanderer - Vega
16-bit

by Wanderer - Vega Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:39 am

halosoul wrote:I got myself the origianl Xbox insted of the 360, for one its cheaper, It's a great system in it's own right, with fabulous graphics and a great selection of games.

Having had one for just over a month now I've been able to track down a load of games that I got it for, for incredably cheap prices. Some as low as 0.98p for a brand new game. I also feel that it is the true successor to the dreamcast, having so many continuations of DC franchises on it. Just picked up Jet Set Radio Future yesterday, which is excellent, and I've just about got all the 2D fighters available for it, just holding out for the europeon releases of KOF 2003 and Maximum Impact. I'm full of praise for the orginal xbox as you can tell and think it's well worth picking one up over the 360 at the minute.

Perhaps I'll get a 360 eventually when their their on their last legs and going cheap. But at the minute I don't feel theres much point in getting one, I've got plently of original xbox goodness to keep me busy, like 'Fable' for example. For this next console generation I'm far more interested in the Wii, the king of backwards compatability!

Spoken like a true genius. :D
oizukitom
8-bit

by oizukitom Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:26 am

Good morning,

I am not the anti-MS - duh I am using XPPro right now, however if you think MS does anything without attaching a $$ amount to it, think again. I am not saying I don't want MS to make money, no no.

Emulation is something they don't make any money on, it costs them. If you want more devs to by your licensing and dev platforms ($$$) then why support emulation? If I can already legally make XBOX games and it works on the 360 why buy another license for XBOX360 ?

We should not get all miffed because MS is famous for making claims and then backing out. NT4, Millenium, MS vs. Linux TCO, MS claims {this technology} is to slow we will make someting better that we can control, MS anti-Spyware Tool, MS even had a 'IP' claim on like 100 internet protocols then they backed out. And the "backout" reason is someone elses fault. Case in point - 'No one cares about backwards...' They have damage control down to a science.

It is very clear to me when I see "And while Microsoft focuses on expanding the market, some heavy users of Xbox 360...." Men, when you see the words 'Microsoft' followed by 'expanding the market' get your check books out. But that is certainly your right. If you catch a honey bee in your hands, don't smash it after it stings you, that's its nature.

I have the XBOX, I like it, my DCs sit on top of it. Did I hear linux on the PS3 ? That makes me suspicious also.

Have a good weekend,

Tom
Long Live The DC...
Mega-Dan
24-bit

This is the xbox 1 were talking about right...

by Mega-Dan Mon Jun 05, 2006 6:17 pm

The xbox 1 has a really crappy selection of games, and lets face it, most of the games that are comming out for the xbox 360 are just the same games that came out for the original xbox with new shiny graphics, all the xbox games are availible for other systems or have sequels or other games in the same series availible for other systems.
The military fps, the wwII fps, futuristic fps, the street racing game, the simulation racing game, the sports games, the extreme sports games, and lest we forget the insanely violent games that substitute attitude for controls and gameplay. Add in a fighting game or two and you have a better looking version of the xbox 1 library. Yeah there are a few gems that wont be have new versions come out for other systems (phantom dust, panzer dragoon orta, jet set radio future) but I think those are the only two I can think off the top of my head, and Panzer dragoon was just re-released for PS2 in japan and you can play the original jet set radio on dreamcast (I got my copy for 2 dollars!).
CurulleanCat
32-bit

Re: This is the xbox 1 were talking about right...

by CurulleanCat Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:35 am

alonzobots wrote:The xbox 1 has a really crappy selection of games, and lets face it, most of the games that are comming out for the xbox 360 are just the same games that came out for the original xbox with new shiny graphics, all the xbox games are availible for other systems or have sequels or other games in the same series availible for other systems.
The military fps, the wwII fps, futuristic fps, the street racing game, the simulation racing game, the sports games, the extreme sports games, and lest we forget the insanely violent games that substitute attitude for controls and gameplay. Add in a fighting game or two and you have a better looking version of the xbox 1 library. Yeah there are a few gems that wont be have new versions come out for other systems (phantom dust, panzer dragoon orta, jet set radio future) but I think those are the only two I can think off the top of my head, and Panzer dragoon was just re-released for PS2 in japan and you can play the original jet set radio on dreamcast (I got my copy for 2 dollars!).

What about Otogi 1 and 2? thats a great game that isnt on any other system. JSRF has a awesome soundtrack that isnt on the Dreamcast.

Also didnt microsoft promise backwards compatablilty to its users of teh 360? Its really bad to go back on that. I was gonna get a 360 based on the fact of the backwards compatability but now that they seem to be abandoning it I may as well abandon the 360 until it gets some killer app you cant get for the pc or other systems.
Mega-Dan
24-bit

Forgot Otogi

by Mega-Dan Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:12 am

Otogi is a great game, how come all the really good Xbox exclusives come from games come from sega? Thats kinda strange isnt it? Backwards compatiblity is pretty neat, but most people who have xbox 360 probably still have a xbox. Personally I am all for it, and I really want it, but I understand if microsoft from a business point of view doesnt continue support. I mean if it doesnt increase system sales, and doesnt make money, and they have to pay a team of people to program emulation compatibility for games then what is in it for them? Honestly they cant let fans do it, because they would be letting the public have access to core technologies of both xbox and xbox 360, and that would be just inviting pirates.
msimplay
64-bit

Re: Forgot Otogi

by msimplay Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:11 am

alonzobots wrote:Otogi is a great game, how come all the really good Xbox exclusives come from games come from sega? Thats kinda strange isnt it? Backwards compatiblity is pretty neat, but most people who have xbox 360 probably still have a xbox. Personally I am all for it, and I really want it, but I understand if microsoft from a business point of view doesnt continue support. I mean if it doesnt increase system sales, and doesnt make money, and they have to pay a team of people to program emulation compatibility for games then what is in it for them? Honestly they cant let fans do it, because they would be letting the public have access to core technologies of both xbox and xbox 360, and that would be just inviting pirates.

Well from a business point of view they are shooting themselves in the foot since the PS3 and the Wii will be both backwards compatable sooner or later the general public will expect this as standard
Return to Sony and Microsoft