PS2 Upscaling

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

PS2 Upscaling

Post by casterofdreams »

I was doing my daily rounds of internet surfings when I have seen this article: http://reviews.dcemu.co.uk/vdigi-releases-vd-w3-wii-hdmi-upscaler-processor-303442.html about upscaing the Wii. I then proceeded to check for other systems and I couldn't find anything solid for the PS2 with out running into PS3 articles. I seen one thing called the Xploder but nothing else. Does anyone have any ideas on how to achieve, say 720p, upscaling for the PS2?
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Re: PS2 Upscaling

Post by Pulsar_t »

I'm almost done with the PS2 but it'd be interesting to learn of this. If you use PCSX2 of course you have no problems (beside actual emulator compatibility/speed). The PS3 does native upscaling which passes through via HDMI or component. Maybe get a VGA box?
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Use component cables. There's a few games on the PS2 that will render at 720p in NTSC. No PAL games though. At all. Gee, thanks Sony.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
IcKy99
Next-Gen

Post by IcKy99 »

Niodes right i have a few games that look really really good with component cables on my Bravia, but there are a lot of games that dont support HD on the ps2 so its hit or miss. i think wikipedia had a list of games that supported HD for ps2.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

The HD PS2 list. Use a PS2 Component cable.
Couple games you have to hold Square Circle while load.
Others Triangle and the "X" button during load.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_2_games_with_HD_support

There is also the Xploder, on my TV I did get a smaller image at 1080i.
Unfortunately my CRT HD has no Zoom to compensate.
On the plus side I did get 480p out of 480i only games.

Here is a semi-HD mode specific to God of War 2.
Attachments
God War 2 HD Small.jpg
God War 2 HD Small.jpg (143.02 KiB) Viewed 3509 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I heard ps2 looks bad on hdtv's
will component cables fix this?
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

kingmohd84 wrote:I heard ps2 looks bad on hdtv's

God of War 2 dare I say PS3 quality graphics with Component Cables using 480p and my previous Reply above Cheat.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

Since only about 38 games support 480p and the rest don't support component cable in SD mode in PAL-land it's better to just use an RGB scart cable. The ones that did support 480p I felt that they actually looked better in RGB 576i (or whatever it is we get in pal-land) so it's a complete moot point in Europe/Australia.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

kingmohd84 wrote:I heard ps2 looks bad on hdtv's

Also if you have a LCD, Non-HD consoles tend to show Dot-Crawl. I played PS2 Black thru a PS3 HDMI connection lot of fuzz on that LCD. On CRT Component at 480p screen was beautiful. Perhaps that PS3 scaled up to the widescreen LCD may had some effect.

The Component Cable will definitely be better then Composite or S-Video though. Plus you can get them cheap.

More info at my signature link.

casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Post by casterofdreams »

That Xploder thing is a load of crap. The reviews for that were bad at best.

I have component cables right now but I wanted a little more than boring old 480p.

God of War 1 and 2 both look great but now, using that list, I see why Persona 3 FES looks like poop still. Ohh well, thanks for all the info.